Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  WebRTC vs SipSoft Phone

Posted 02-19-2018 23:31

Hi All

From a reliability, functionality and phone quality stand point, is there a recommended phone / base setting between WebRTC and SipSoft Phone?

80% of our agents are configured to SipSoft Phone however we're starting to appreciate the fact you don't need to provision with WebRTC.

Does PureCloud have a standard recommendation between the two? Are there any pros and cons that I need to consider?

Thanks

Peter

• 2.  RE: WebRTC vs SipSoft Phone

Posted 02-21-2018 09:07

Hi Peter,

The WebRTC Phone is definitely nice because it doesn't require any provisioning or software to maintain. The primary missing feature of the WebRTC Phone at this time is support for physical buttons on headsets. We are working with our headset vendor partners bring support for these buttons to the WebRTC Phone soon, but it is not yet available.

We are seeing growing adoption of the WebRTC Phone due to it's ease of setup and use. However, in a small fraction of cases, customers have trouble with network configuration due to the dynamic nature of WebRTC's port allocation. We do have an alternative configuration that can work around these problems if you should see them. Just contact support if you have network problems (dropped calls, calls failing to connect) with webrtc, and we'll diagnose your problem right away and figure out the right way to adjust configuration.

See https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/purecloud-ports-services/ for more information about ports configuration for firewalls when using WebRTC.

• 3.  RE: WebRTC vs SipSoft Phone

Posted 01-02-2020 14:38
    I'm going to try to revive an old thread.  I've gone through several other threads and appreciate the information that Xander's shared on WebRTC.  I do have 1 remaining question that I think fits in with the original intent of this thread.  When choosing WebRTC, it adds dependencies for TURN (AWS hosted?) & STUN (Google hosted?) services.  Can you speak to the availability of these services?  The SIP Softphone doesn't require this, as it provisions directly to the Edge devices (we have Edges).  We are currently using mostly SIP Softphones and being lured by the manageability benefits of WebRTC.  I want to get a better understanding if I'm trading some availability for managability with WebRTC vs SIP Softphone.

------------------------------
    Brett Williams
    Consulting Architect
    Principal - www.Principal.com

• 4.  RE: WebRTC vs SipSoft Phone

GENESYS
    Posted 01-02-2020 14:58
    In a nutshell, the WebRTC phone requires an internet connection between the computer and PureCloud because everything runs through the cloud (and the cloud-based TURN and STUN servers which you cannot replicate on-premises).

If the Internet connection is down, you cannot take or place calls with the WebRTC phone even if you have local edges. Whereas with the PureCloud Softphone you have site survivability with local edges when the internet connection to PureCloud goes down.

George Ganahl GCP (PureCloud) ICCE
    Principal Technology Consultant
    Genesys

• 5.  RE: WebRTC vs SipSoft Phone

Posted 02-25-2018 16:46

Thanks Xander. This is helpful.

I have noticed intermittent call drop outs, echoing etc with WebRTC so will raise a job with support.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources