Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  SIP Option PING on Edge

Posted 04-18-2019 16:11
    Hello,

SBCs use SIP OPTION PING to validate the proper functioning of SIP trunks. It is necessary that the Edge respond to these SIP OPTION PING for the trunk sip to go into service.

Is this an option to enable for the Edge to respond to these PING ? or is it already activated by default on the Edge ?

Appreciate your help

Regards,
    #ArchitectureandDesign
    #Implementation
    #Integrations
    #SIP/VolP
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Charaf Eddine Chemlal
    Dimension Data France

• 2.  RE: SIP Option PING on Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 04-23-2019 18:30
    Edited by Greg Shultz 04-23-2019 18:30
    Charaf:

Check out this article in the PureCloud Resource Center:

Enable the ping response on the Edge

Greg Shultz
    Senior Technical Writer
    Genesys

#Telephony

• 3.  RE: SIP Option PING on Edge

Posted 04-24-2019 04:23
    This article concerns ICMP Ping option that we can enable on the Edge.

But is there a SIP Ping Option to activate ?

Regards,

Charaf Eddine Chemlal
    Dimension Data France

• 4.  RE: SIP Option PING on Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 04-25-2019 10:31
    On the Trunk configuration page (Admin>Trunks>External Trunks>[Your External SIP Trunk]) you'll want to enable the Availability setting and specify an Interval.

Apparently, we call an Option request an Availability request.

This is documented in the External trunk settings article (https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/external-trunk-settings/)

So, when you enable the Availability setting and specify an Interval, PureCloud will use  SIP OPTIONS Pings/OPTIONS Requests/Availability Request to track the status of a trunk.

Greg Shultz
    Senior Technical Writer
    Genesys

• 5.  RE: SIP Option PING on Edge
    Best Answer

GENESYS
    Posted 04-25-2019 10:52
    Edited by Charaf Eddine Chemlal 05-15-2019 15:40
    Charaf, I checked with the Edge developers, and the Edge is designed to respond with a 200 OK to OPTIONS messages, as long as the IP address of the SBC/Proxy sending the OPTIONS is in the Allow the Following Addresses setting under SIP Access Control in the External Trunk configuration.

If the Edge is Out of Service or the Trunk is Disabled it would not return the 200 OK (which, of course, is proper indication to the SBC that the connection is down).

Yes, it is activated by default--you cannot turn it off.

George Ganahl CCXP, GCA
    Principal Technology Consultant
    Genesys

• 6.  RE: SIP Option PING on Edge

Posted 04-26-2019 04:28
    Thank you for your answers

Charaf Eddine Chemlal
    Dimension Data France

• 7.  RE: SIP Option PING on Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 04-26-2019 10:45
    Based on the information uncovered in this discussion, I have created the following FAQ that will be published in the Resource Center next week.

Can you configure the Edge to respond to a SIP OPTIONS Ping from an SBC/Proxy?

The ability to respond to a SIP OPTIONS Ping from an SBC/Proxy is a built-in feature of the Edge. There is no setting to configure as this capability is enabled by default. 

The Edge is designed to respond with a 200 OK to OPTIONS messages, as long as the IP address of the SBC/Proxy sending the OPTIONS is in the Allow the Following Addresses setting under SIP Access Control in the External Trunk configuration. For more information, see External trunk settings.

Note: If the Edge is Out of Service or the Trunk is Disabled, it would not return the 200 OK, which indicates that the connection is down.

Greg Shultz
    Senior Technical Writer
    Genesys

• 8.  RE: SIP Option PING on Edge

Posted 10-11-2019 12:38
    I have followed the provided directions but I am still not getting an OPTIONS response from my new PureCloud Edge Standard v3. 

I have just added a 3rd edge to my PureCloud configuration. The first two were the Mini-Edge but the third is the PureCloud Edge Standard v3 (1U rack server). I added the new Edge with no issues. I put it in the same  Edge Group and assigned the same external trunk group that the first.

All edges are running the same version of software: 1.0.0.8470 (1.0.0.17100300 active image)

I can see in the Protocol Diagnostics Logs from the new Edge that it is getting SIP OPTIONS messages from my Avaya Session Managers defined in the 'External Trunk' settings. The new Edge server simply does not respond. There is no response in the PDL PCAP's. Due to this the Avaya Session Managers show the Edge as offline.

Considering all three edges use the same external trunk group, and the two mini's respond to SIP OPTIONS as expected, it would seem to be an issue with the larger Edge Standard v3 servers.

One additional difference that I could see potentially being in play. The Mini's only use one physical NIC for internal and external communication. The new Edge Standard v3 has a dedicated WAN port (on port 1) and an internal port (on port 2). The shared external trunk group is defined on the internal port on the new edge. For the Mini's it's on the single port use for WAN and internal.

Chris Gibson
    Consumer Cellular, Inc.

• 9.  RE: SIP Option PING on Edge

Posted 10-14-2019 05:11
    Hi Chris

Few weeks ago we have a similar problem. 
    We need reconfigure port 2 of Edge without VLAN configuration because switch has configured as "access mode" and the problem observed is similar at you described.
    How you configure your interface on Switch? and in PureCloud Edge Configuration?

Regards,

Ricardo Macayo
    Telefonica Soluciones de Informatica

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources