Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  PureCloud - Dual Edge Power Failure in N+1

Posted 11-30-2018 06:14
    Hi, 
    I've looked through the FAQ's and community posts, and have found some useful documents in regards to BCP and fail-over, THIS being one of them.
    However they don't answer my specific questions, which are;

If you have simultaneous power failure on both of your Edges, in an N+1 setup, what happens to any calls to an inbound primary number/route?
    Internal routing will fail as there is no PoE or Edge infrastructure, but what about external inbound?
    Does the emergency schedule work in this condition, or with it fail as there are no Edges to collect/terminate the routing for the DDI's?
    i.e. do the SIP trunks terminal at PureCloud, or to the Edges?

Thanks, 
    Richard
    #SIP/VolP

• 2.  RE: PureCloud - Dual Edge Power Failure in N+1

GENESYS
    Posted 11-30-2018 08:37
    SIP Trunks terminate at the edge, so if all your edges are non-functioning, there is no functionality. No IVR at all, so no Emergency schedules or anything else.

If you truly have the possibility of that big a disaster, you need a second office with an Edge to receive the calls and play the emergency schedule and whatever, and have the Telco switch the trunks there in an emergency such as you describe.

------------------------------
    George Ganahl CCXP, GCA
    Principal Program Manager
    Genesys

• 3.  RE: PureCloud - Dual Edge Power Failure in N+1

Posted 12-03-2018 10:41
    Thanks George, that's exactly what i needed.
    We do run N+1 in multiple offices, however, the power outage was a HV one which took a large area, including both offices.
    We have a third office connected via MPLS which is farther afield, where i will plan to either relocate one of the Edges, or buy new for N+2.

Thanks,Richard

• 4.  RE: PureCloud - Dual Edge Power Failure in N+1

GENESYS
    Posted 12-03-2018 11:12
    I'm curious...were the two edges 100 miles apart? That's the standard minimum distance, I think, for disaster recovery planning in our area.

George Ganahl CCXP, GCA
    Principal Program Manager
    Genesys

• 5.  RE: PureCloud - Dual Edge Power Failure in N+1

Posted 12-04-2018 03:59
    I wonder, in case of such incident, if it's possible to use an alternate site, to have a good BCP.
    According to the documentation (https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/configure-site/) the Phone Edge Assignments use only one site (while secondary site seems to be used only for PureCloud Voice), therefore, in case of a datacenter outages, all the phones should be manually configured to use another site, is this correct? Is possible to configure an alternate site? Besides the configuration permits to add more than one site for primary and secondary sites, but there is no explanation how it works.. any clue?

Regards

Sergio Picchioni

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources