PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-06-2019 11:30
    Hello Team,

Please help me how we can configure CIC Switchover Alerts in our test setup.

as per Genesys switchover document we can configure through Switchover Event initiator to start a handler on the host server whenever a switch occurs.

Is  there any other way to configure this. If yes kindly suggest.

We are using Product version 2018 R5. 

#Handlers
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Manash Kumar
    The Customer Experience Lab

• 2.  RE: CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-06-2019 11:34
    If I'm understanding correctly, you just want an alert for when a switchover has occurred.  We use Windows scheduled tasks triggered by Application event 11515 from source Interaction Center to fire off a Powershell script to send out an email (since in newer server OS you cannot send the email directly via task scheduler) notification from the server directly.  We have this configured on both primary and backup.

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 3.  RE: CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-06-2019 12:22
    We also monitor for 11515 to send alerts to support teams that have required SLA.  

We also use ICBM alerts on system statistics to keep track of system events (Switchover, Backup Server Ready, etc.).

I have used the event initiator in the past, but found that monitoring the event and ICBM alerts are less complex (therefore easier to maintain).

Tim Cannon
    Elevate Credit Services, LLC

• 4.  RE: CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-07-2019 04:22

We are also using Third party Windows events monitoring tool to capture Switchover event (Event ID: 11515) from Application event logs and triggers an auto alert email to support teams.

Regards,

Sachin Nangia

Sachin Nangia

• 5.  RE: CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-07-2019 15:58
    FWIW, I'm a great believer in the KISS principle and in doing as much as I can with built-in features, as opposed to customizations.

If you can detent the event you are looking for (in this case, a Switchover) with an ICBM Alert, then that would be my preferred solution. It's probably going to be the most maintainable and easiest to support in the long-run.

Custom Handlers, Windows Scheduled TAsks and the like all (IMHO) require far more work to set up and are more fragile.

Just my 10 cents.

• 6.  RE: CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-08-2019 09:41
    I second Paul's suggestion. We have rolled out the switchover alerts from within CIC with pretty good success at multiple deployment locations. Although the other options work its nice to keep it all embedded within the application.

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk.

• 7.  RE: CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-08-2019 07:41
    Years ago, I wrote handlers that triggered on switchover. These triggered Custom Initiators do perform various tasks -- stop and start services on a network server, send emails, changed the desktop background on the failed server so it showed that the server needs reboot, etc.
    Even though it was a little complicated, it ended up being a desirable feature for my customers.

Wayne Rhodeback
    Astute, Inc.

• 8.  RE: CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-08-2019 10:17

Realizing there are many viable options here, over time we've settled on a couple of reliable options.

• ICBM 'Supervisor' alerts (our default) - We typically use the Backup Server Ready value (1/0) but this can be a bit noisy. With the current aggressive reconnect logic in Switchover, momentary network disruptions can generate this value changing back and forth. The key here is to look at the sending server host name. Only the active server send alerts so when the sending host name changes, you know you have an actual change in roles, an actual switchover event.
    • ININ SNMP - There are a number of items and traps that can be leveraged in the i3ic MIB using a 3ed party NMS application.
    • Application Event Log messages - Example have been provided in other responses.
    • Custom Application - We've actually developed an application that looks specifically for changes in Switchover team member roles and offers a reliable, concise notification on actual switchover events, This is very handy with customers whose geo-diverse Switchover team members struggle to maintain consistent network connectivity and the ICBM alerts are very noisy.

Chris Mayo
    Director, Technical Services
    Altivon

• 9.  RE: CIC Switchover Alerts

Posted 05-08-2019 20:05
    Hi Chris,

Is it possible for you to share details about your developed 'Custom Application'.
    I would like to know more about it.

Thanks & Regards
    Sachin Nangia

Sachin Nangia

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources