PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Nuance Vocalizer speaking "say-as" since upgrade

Posted 11-27-2018 16:13
    Good afternoon,  

We recently upgraded from CIC 4.0 to  CIC 18.2.13.   We have a handler that does some string cleaning of text to speech playback because we have some strings that contain characters that need to be read as characters when they appear in the string.   For example below I would want Nuance to read back "test period string"

sStringToPlay: test.string Mode: String

We run all of the sStringToPlay values through another handler that looks for strings containing periods and if the character is found assigns the sStringToPlay value as follows:

"<say-as interpret-as='characters'>" & StrLower(StrLeft(sStringToPlay, iPeriodPos)) & "</say-as>" & " period" & "<say-as interpret-as='characters'>" & StrLower(StrMid(sStringToPlay, iPeriodPos + 1, 50)) & "</say-as>"

This has worked flawlessly for the last few years, but since the upgrade to 18.2.13 Nuance has been reading back the  "say-as" during the text to speech playback.  I didn't create this handler originally so I'm trying to figure out why it used to work and now doesn't perform as we expect.  Any ideas?

#Handlers

------------------------------
    Josh Herron

• 2.  RE: Nuance Vocalizer speaking "say-as" since upgrade

Posted 11-28-2018 09:11
    Josh,

Which version of Vocalizer are you using? There are some slight differences between the versions and the way that they treat the say-as command.

Phil

Phil Chapman
    Sr. Solution Engineer
    Altivon

• 3.  RE: Nuance Vocalizer speaking "say-as" since upgrade

Posted 11-28-2018 13:09
    If it's reading back your "say-as" and you have it formatted as is, it sounds like it's interpreting this as a literal string rather than ssml+xml.

I would look at a few things with the actual tool step that is playing back string:

1. Is it Play String or Play String Extended (it should be extended)
    2. Are there further tags wrapping your <say-as> section?
    3. Do you have optional parameters set on your Play String Extended tool step to define the content type?

I just made a quick test in my dev system (2018 R2 P9, Vocalizer 6 with NSS 6.2.6):

For my Play String Extended step, I added the following parameters and had success:

Text:  "<?xml version='1.0'?><speak version='1.0' xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2001/10/synthesis' xml:lang='en-US'>" & "<say-as interpret-as='characters'>" & StrLower(StrLeft(sStringToPlay, iPeriodPos)) & "</say-as>" & " period" & "<say-as interpret-as='characters'>" & StrLower(StrMid(sStringToPlay, iPeriodPos + 1, 50)) & "</say-as>" & "</speak>"

I've concatenated some of the literal parts of this to emphasize what I added to your initial example.

Optional Parameters:  "mrcp.audio.contentType:application/ssml+xml"

Then I just used a get key to flush audio and it worked without issue.
    My emphasis here is to take a look at the step playing the string, it should have more to do with what you're hearing (or not hearing).

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 4.  RE: Nuance Vocalizer speaking "say-as" since upgrade

Posted 11-29-2018 07:27
    ​Yes, I'm it is using  play string extended.    I tried adding the optional parameter you suggested but afterwards nothing plays at all.

We had the language in the optional parameter but I added yours so it looks like the following:
    "MRCP mrcp.audio.language:en-us" & "mrcp.audio.contentType:application/ssml+xml"

The sStringtoPlay value that was trying to be played was this:
     <say-as interpret-as='characters'>insurance company name, inc</say-as> period<say-as interpret-as='characters'></say-as>

Josh Herron

• 5.  RE: Nuance Vocalizer speaking "say-as" since upgrade

Posted 11-29-2018 12:28
    It appears that you're only taking into account half of the information in my post.  The optional parameters define the content type, but the additional tags that I have provided for your "Text" make it a valid object of that type.

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 6.  RE: Nuance Vocalizer speaking "say-as" since upgrade

Posted 11-29-2018 14:13
    ​Yep, that was the issue.  Thank you!

Josh Herron

• 7.  RE: Nuance Vocalizer speaking "say-as" since upgrade

Posted 11-29-2018 06:57
    ​We are using Vocalizer 5.7.

Josh Herron

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources