PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Backing up virtual CIC server

Posted 07-07-2018 09:52

Looking for real world tips and recommendations on backup up virtual CIC servers.  I recently moved off physical CIC 3.0 SU20 to 2018 R1 on VMware.  Media servers are still physical boxes.  I have a switchover pair in place.

I use Veeam to backup my virtual environment in general and now need to get the CIC servers backed up.  Recommendation from VAR is to backup like any other VM, but be aware of potential for switchover to occur, which is pretty much all the virtualization TR talks about. 

Has anyone experienced issues when backing up switchover pair VM's?  Has anyone done any tweaking of timeouts to reduce potential for switchover to occur during a backup operation (most likely to happen during snapshot operations)

------------------------------
    Evan

• 2.  RE: Backing up virtual CIC server

Posted 07-09-2018 12:46
    Edited by Amadou Ba 07-13-2018 15:14
    Hello Evan
    Please refer to TR below
     https://help.genesys.com/cic/mergedProjects/wh_tr/desktop/pdfs/data_backup_tr.pdf 

Amadou Ba
    Product Consultant
    Vortalsoft Inc.

• 3.  RE: Backing up virtual CIC server

Posted 07-09-2018 13:14
    Evan,

1st, I would recommend you review the backup recommendations posted in the available PureConnect documentation. There is a small subset of site specific data that all you need to "rebuild" a server from scratch.

If you're trying to establish a 'point in time' roll back capability, you should leverage options available in your flavor of virtualization. "Snapshots" are usually your best bet for this need.

There are also many backup solutions that perform "live" backups but consideration should always be taken as to how these may affect production performance of PureConnect.

We actually have a product that automates IC site specific backups, for disaster recovery strategies, that I could review with you.

At the end of the day, there are many options and the real decision is what are you wanting to do with this "backup". That choice will guide you to a proper/appropriate solution. If you're already using Switchover, proper VM host diversity will always be your 1st line of defense.

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris Mayo
    Director, Technical Services
    Altivon

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources