PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Windows 7 beyond PureConnect 2018 R3

Posted 12-10-2018 19:16
    Hi Everyone,

Genesys advised that PureConnect 2018 R3 (released May 2018) is the last release to support Microsoft Windows 7​​ - over 20 months before Microsoft ends Windows 7 extended support in January 2020

I'm aware that businesses/enterprises need to upgrade past Windows 7 before the OS ends support - but I find it short-sighted for Genesys to stop supporting their product on Windows 7 nearly 2 years before the OS itself reaches end of support.

So I'm wondering how many other users here with PureConnect deployments are still running Windows 7? Has this impacted your upgrade plans to PureConnect versions past 2018 R3? Just curious

Thanks,
    Jeff.
    #Omni-ChannelDesktop/UserInterface
    #PlatformAdministration

• 2.  RE: Windows 7 beyond PureConnect 2018 R3

Posted 12-11-2018 03:50
    ​Hi Jeff,

The company I work for will be impacted by this as the estate is all Windows 7 based and the hardware isn't right for Windows 10 due to it's age.

This means we have two options:
    1. Replace our desktops /  laptops or
    2. Replace the telecom system
    With the taken decision of Genesys the latter might well be an option to consider as it isn't really a leaders position to dictate it's customers to upgrade their estate.

Bad move and it will bite back.

Thanks for sharing!

------------------------------
    Ruud Reinold

Seeking new opportunities due to redundancy in January.

• 3.  RE: Windows 7 beyond PureConnect 2018 R3

Posted 12-11-2018 04:00
    Hi Jeff,

Yes we use windows 7 currently and due to the limitation of the OS, we are now upgrading to 2018-R3 instead of 2018-R4 or 2018-R5.
    Our windows 7 estate is going to be upgraded anyway next year, irrespective of Genesys restrictions, so by the time we upgrade PureConnect next, we should already be on windows 10.

I agree we were disappointed too to know about the OS restrictions.

Regards

Vineet Kakroo
    FIL Investment Management Ltd

• 4.  RE: Windows 7 beyond PureConnect 2018 R3

Posted 12-11-2018 18:33
    I know that it isn't a perfect solution, but if you read the text of the anouncement, it doesn't say that it will stop working on WI7, just that Genesys won't be fixing issues found etc.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that a large part of this decision is based around the move towards Interaction Connect. Since this is Web-Based, the OS of the client is largely irellevant and this may offer an alternate path for people who want to stay with W7 until the end.

Yes, I accept that some parts of the product still rely on a native cleint running on the local machine, but with more and more people shifting to browser-based interfaces, this is, I suspect, going to become a non-issue for most customers.

• 5.  RE: Windows 7 beyond PureConnect 2018 R3

Posted 12-14-2018 20:11
    We are running Windows 7 exclusively and are unhappy about Genesys' decision. We have a couple hundred applications across our enterprise that must be tested prior to us moving to Windows 10. Among other things this means we are unable to take advantage of any improvements in releases after 2018 R3. Also, policy does not allow us to run applications not supported by a vendor, especially an application as critical to our business as this is.

Daniel Haley
    SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union

• 6.  RE: Windows 7 beyond PureConnect 2018 R3

Posted 12-17-2018 11:15
    Based on the EOL documentation from Genesys I think you would be covered. I could be wrong but I think 2018 R3 will receive updates for 18 months after release. The product was released April 30th so October 30th 2019 is when the product no longer receives P updates. From here the product is supported for another 18 months (although no patches will be made so in theory you could hit bugs you have to live with). Assuming my simple math is correct this would mean 2018 R3 would no longer be supported by Genesys and be EOL on April 30th 2021.

It looks like Windows 7 ends extended support 1/14/2020 so CIC 2018 R3 would still be supported by Genesys by the time Windows 7 goes off of extended support by Microsoft. Obviously you would be stuck on CIC 2018 R3 and unable to take advantage of any new features but your phone system software should be supported by Genesys Through the Windows 7 EOL.

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources