Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Problematic calls and voice quality

• 1.  Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 11-27-2018 00:07
    From time to time, agents report problematic calls and voice quality issues by using the flagging option.
    How and where can I obtain more details about the call to determine if its an internal or external network issue?

More looking for an immediate response not when support can investigate it
    #Outbound

------------------------------
    Darryn Chang
    Stuff Limited
    New Zealand
    2 Years Purecloud

• 2.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 11-27-2018 08:05
    About the only thing you can do is to have some kind of network analysis package capturing packets all the time at a point or points on the network that all the calls flow through, then when a call gets flagged pull the logs for that timeframe and see what the network analysis says.

Wireshark is installed on the Edge and you can get the SIP packets by turning on the Protocol Capture logging, but that doesn't help much for the audio problems.

Turning on Media Capture would give some useful info, but only Customer Care can decrypt the files, so it doesn't help you get the info on your own. Wireshark running on a machine connected to a mirror port on a switch with the edges which can access all the RTP traffic going through the edges is your best bet.

George Ganahl CCXP, GCA
    Principal Program Manager
    Genesys

• 3.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 11-28-2018 08:14
    @Darryn Chang - We'll be releasing MOS and R Factor audio quality scores for all calls in PureCloud in December (target = December 19th).  Using the Public API you can grab detailed statistics on how the score was calculated as well.​

Zach Hinkle
    Genesys - Employees

• 4.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 12-17-2018 17:47
    We are also troubleshooting some voice quality issues and we have used the Public API to look at the statistics.

The stats seem useful for identifying problematic calls but they haven't helped with problem diagnosis.

We suspect that the codec settings may be contributing to the problem.  The codecs are also part of the conversation details available via the API so I've cross-posted this question to the Developer Forum:

https://developer.mypurecloud.com/forum/t/codecs-values-returned-by-conversation-detail-api/4207

Jason Rogers
    Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan

• 5.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 12-18-2018 09:50
    Just FYI...the INVITE and 200 OK messages for call setup are included in the logs generated by turning on Protocol Capture on the trunk, so you don't have to go through the API to determine the codec used for a call. Whatever works best for you.

George Ganahl CCXP, GCA
    Genesys

• 6.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 12-18-2018 10:07
    Thanks George.  Using the API via the dev tools is easier for me.

Semi - related question: 
    The segment of the interaction when the Agent is talking shows two codecs at work.  In our case, one is opus and one is audio/PCM U.
    Do you know why there are two entries?
    Is that indicating that the call recording is using one codec and the phone conversation is using another?

Jason Rogers

• 7.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 01-07-2019 11:48
    Jason, I don't see that I reasponded. My apologies!

Opus would normally be the connection from the Edge to the phone (especially if using a WebRTC phone), and PCM U would be the Edge to the trunking provider. Two legs of the call, with the Edge transcoding between the two.

George Ganahl CCXP, GCA
    Genesys

• 8.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 01-03-2019 13:40
    We've got a few recorded calls with really poor audio quality but the conversations have good minimum MOS & R Factor scores.

Do you know what would cause that situation?

Jason Rogers

• 9.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 03-15-2023 08:24

Hello Zach,

Could you please help on"Using the Public API you can grab detailed statistics on how the score was calculated as well" , How to use Public API and get the MOS and call quality details of call.

Kathiravan Srinivasan
    Hewlett-Packard Enterprise India Pvt Ltd

• 10.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 01-04-2019 12:18
    Hi Darryn,
    Maybe you could gather console and network logs from those are facing the problems, so that you can send to support for an analysis. For sure it might be good to know how to interpret those logs yourself. But I doubt if there is way in which one can learn how to interpret the logs

https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/gather-console-logs/

https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/gather-chrome-console-log/

https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/gathering-console-network-logs/
    Regards
    Samuel Effange

Samuel Effange
    Nissan North America, Inc.

• 11.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 01-07-2019 09:56
    Has anyone done all the work of capturing that information and gotten a solid resolution to voice quality issues from Genesys?

I've been asked to do the same actions for other support cases but it seems like quite a burden to put on customers because I expect that Genesys has access to all the relevant information already in their monitoring / logging systems.

I've also got to say that I'm skeptical of PureCloud support's ability to make sense of all these logs given the back & forth I've had with them on a few tickets we've opened regarding local Edge connectivity issues to PureCloud.

Jason Rogers

• 12.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 01-07-2019 11:46
    I'm just curious...it used to be that every PureCloud customer had to have designated persons go through the PureCloud Customer Roles and Responsibilities course. Does that still happen?

There is also information at https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/customer-areas-responsibility/

I realize that some of the troubleshooting information is available from the Edge (depending on what is turned on under Diagnostics on the Trunk), but things like the Console log is local to the user, as is all of the LAN traffic at the customer site, and everything that traverses the Internet is only visible at the points it touches PureCloud, so much of the data is not actually available to Support.

George Ganahl CCXP, GCA
    Genesys

• 13.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 01-11-2019 14:38
    Hi George,
    I agree with you that support can be very helpful in certain cases. As of yesterday AWS updated their IP addresses and there were a lot of changes in us-east-1. Presently we are have been having more incidents of agents not being able to answer incoming calls. Support has not yet been able to confirm if we need to update our firewall ip addresses, or Genesys has to work on their side. 
    I will be glad if there is any information your could provide in regards to this changes. The only testing one could do for monitoring purposes is on the link below, but again we are told is not conclusive to determine if there is a problem with WebRTC https://apps.mypurecloud.com/webrtc-troubleshooter/#/audio
    Regards
    Samuel

Samuel Effange
    Nissan North America, Inc.

• 14.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 01-08-2019 08:49
    Jason - We are scheduled to release a feature on January 16th 2019 that shows a MOS Score on all audio calls to be available in Performance -> Interactions -> add new column MOS Score.  This feature could slip a week based on our edge build releasing, but it shouldn't be more than a week if we do slip.

Zach Hinkle
    Genesys - Employees

• 15.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 01-08-2019 12:35
    Thanks George & Zach for the responses.

Zach - Adding those scores to the UI will be great for our call centre admins.  Do you have a perspective on what would cause a situation where occasionally the audio scores are good but the call recording sounds bad?

Jason Rogers

• 16.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 01-08-2019 12:49
    @Jasonrogers Rogers - That would be new functionality beyond the MOS score.  We'd have to investigate any examples where a good audio score is calculated and a poor recording.  ​

Zach Hinkle
    Genesys - Employees

• 17.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 01-08-2019 12:56
    Yeah, I'm thinking the new feature doesn't really address Jason's earlier questions about the troubleshooting side. He mentioned already having the MOS.

George Ganahl CCXP, GCA
    Genesys

• 18.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

Posted 01-24-2019 09:28
    @Zach Hinkle We got the MOS Score in the interface in PureCloud with the recent release, but I cannot find it in ​the API. Is it available there, and where?

Joel Hellman
    Hi3G

• 19.  RE: Problematic calls and voice quality

GENESYS
    Posted 01-24-2019 14:41
    @Joel Hellman - Media stats will be returned in Analytics / Conversation end points.  I just learned our dev documentation didn't release automatically.  We're working to correct that!  Here is a sample of what comes through:

],

"mediaEndpointStats": [

{

"codecs": [

"audio/opus"

],

"minMos": 3.819267988204956,

"minRFactor": 66.6728744506836,

"maxLatencyMs": 30,

"receivedPackets": 918,

"invalidPackets": 0,

"discardedPackets": 0,

"duplicatePackets": 0,

"overrunPackets": 0,

"underrunPackets": 0

},

{

"codecs": [

"audio/opus"

],

"minMos": 4.395725727081299,

"minRFactor": 78.24951171875,

"maxLatencyMs": 35,

"receivedPackets": 921,

"invalidPackets": 0,

"discardedPackets": 0,

"duplicatePackets": 0,

"overrunPackets": 0,

"underrunPackets": 0

}

]

}

]

},

Zach Hinkle
    Genesys - Employees

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources