Genesys Casual

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  What I've Been Watching During the Pandemic

GENESYS
    Posted 09-22-2020 16:34

If you've paid attention to just about anything in the community or some of the more um...creative episodes of the Q&A Show, you probably guessed that I am a movie nut. The Genesys Casual Community has always been a place where I imagined having more relaxed conversations, so I wanted to start a thread about what I've been watching and I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have. 

I'm Not Crying, You're Crying - "Judy" Did Renee Zellweger sneak in the best performance of the decade? Paint my wagon surprised if it isn't up there.

My Fellow Man - "13th" I'm late to this documentary about race and the justice system in America, but I have no doubt that this movie will inspire discussion and, hopefully, change for years to come.

New (to me) Classic - "Body Heat" Is William Hurt my favorite actor that I never knew about? I'm saying there's a chance. I also caught up with "Broadcast News" both movies that I really enjoyed, but one of my favorite genres is noir, so "Body Heat" is reigning supreme.

Most Surprisingly Enjoyable Watch - The Fast and the Furious movie series. I won't lie, I avoided this movie series like the plague upon initial release. Mainly because I've never been interested in cars or over-the-top action, but I was so so wrong. This is the escapism that I need! I have been loving this movie series for all of the right and wrong reasons. Bigger than life stunts, check. Luxurious set pieces, check. Even my inner film critic can have fun trying understand Dom's odd obsession with family or the odd parallels between him and Jesus... gives something for my inner critic or psychologist to think about.

Arthouse Pick - "Russian Ark" Most people know this as the movie that was filmed in one take and I'm not talking about the "Birdman" fake one take, either. This was all done on a dolly and I went in to it thinking that's what I would marvel at, but I was so very wrong. The camera follows an unseen narrator and his philosopher friend as they explore the Russian State Hermitage Museum and meet some historical figures along the way. There are some great themes to dive into, like how show we remember that past, but if you don't want to do that enjoy this tour of one of the world's greatest museums.

What a Rollercoaster - "Waltz with Bashir" This animated movie about the Sabra and Shatila massacre is one that I have not forgotten since viewing. Choosing animation as a medium not only allows for unfathomable images to come to life while preserving an R rating, but it also plays as a symbolic tie to memory, which is a major motif of the movie. 

TV Series

Netflix Can't Miss -
    "Cobra Kai" I know that I am late to the party on this show, but it is giving me the Anakin Skywalker storyline that I've always wanted and it may be the funniest show on TV.

Hulu Throwback - "Top Chef" or any of the Gordon Ramsay's competition shows Watching these shows reminds me why I'm so desperate to return to a world without Covid. Not to mention, watching Tom Colicchio or Gordon Ramsay destroy a chef over a piece of hammered steak somehow makes my third PB&J of the week go down smoother. 

Prime Takeaways - "Red Oaks" may be the most overlooked comedy of the decade. 

#CoffeeTalk

------------------------------
    Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Genesys Community Manager

• 2.  RE: What I've Been Watching During the Pandemic

GENESYS
    Posted 09-23-2020 09:10
    Fun fact... two actresses in Cobra Kai live in Asheville. The homeless woman that you first find hanging around outside the convenience store where Johnny is eating a slice of pizza in episode 1, and the hippie (go figure) girl Moon.

Clay Tison
    Genesys - Employees

• 3.  RE: What I've Been Watching During the Pandemic

GENESYS
    Posted 09-23-2020 09:27
    Dang, Asheville! It is also hometown to the lead actress from Amazon Prime's "The Vast of Night," which in retrospect should have been on my list, also. That's really cool.

I have not watched the documentary yet, but I hear that "Jawline" is based on someone from my hometown of Johnson City, TN. If anyone wants to see the mall that I spent my teen years in, I hear it is prominently featured in the doc. The only actor from my hometown that I ever heard of was a background actor in the horror-comedy "Eight Legged Freaks".

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Genesys Community Manager

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources