Genesys Engage on-premises

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Genesys Workspace change Installation Path using ClickOnce as Deployment Method

Posted 08-24-2021 04:47
    Hi,
    currently we run Genesys Workspace Desktop Edition v8.5.141.04 in our Genesys Engage (on-premise) Environment.

We are using the Deployment method ClickOnce to deploy the Client Installation through a WebServer on the Agent Desktop. This works as expected.

However, I was noticing that the application path chosen by Microsoft ClickOnce is indvididual for every user.
    For example it does: ...\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\3PADQQBH.2RR\JH7TMXKL.CGW for me. (see screenshot)

This is different for every user and gets change with every new deployed version.
    Is there a way in the Genesys Deployment Manager to define an application path that is the same everywhere?
    for ex.: ...\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\GenesysWorkspace\v141
    This how the installation path looks for me using clickonce

#ArchitectureandDesign
    #Implementation
    #PlatformAdministration

------------------------------
    Thank you for support!
    Felix M.

• 2.  RE: Genesys Workspace change Installation Path using ClickOnce as Deployment Method

Posted 08-25-2021 02:49
    There's no way to change where a ClickOnce application is placed on the user's machine

ABDELRAHMAN YASSEN
    IST Networks UAE

• 3.  RE: Genesys Workspace change Installation Path using ClickOnce as Deployment Method

GENESYS
    Posted 08-26-2021 09:02
    Hi Felix,

ClickOnce applications can be installed only under the user's profile on Windows. This thread explains more about your query  - https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5c7d00c2-2473-4fd5-b815-30066383eb47/change-installation-folder-for-a-click-once-app?forum=winformssetup'

Thanks,
    Sandhya Ravindran
    Genesys - Information Experience

Sandhya Ravindran
    Genesys - Employees

• 4.  RE: Genesys Workspace change Installation Path using ClickOnce as Deployment Method

Posted 08-26-2021 11:53
    Edited by Felix Mensching 08-26-2021 11:53
    Hi Sandhya, hi Abdelrahman,
    thank you for your replies.

I know that clickonce is designed to be installed in the users profile. That is fine :)
    The purpose behind this question are actually Client Firewall Rules within Windows 10.

In the Genesys Documentation you find the following screenshot:

Usually, users do not have any Adminstrator Rights. So it would be wise to allow this application through Group Policy settings within the Client Firewall for every user.

If you want to set a Client Firewall Rule through Group Policy you have to define a program path or choose a different option.

Microsoft Teams uses %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams as an example - this works as Client Firewall Rule for everyone

The Genesys Deployment Manager uses Clickonce and puts applications in the following. Individual per user and Deployment Version:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Apps\2.0\3PADQQBH.2RR\JH7TMXKL.CGW\work..tion_0d47d26d6c6a0eb7_0353.0029_beaed818cb0c0a6a\InteractionWorkspaceSIPEndpoint - this does not work as a Client Firewall Rule for everyone

-------------------------
    I understood now that there seems to be really no possible way to define a referenceable application path for Genesys Workspace or SIP EndPoint when using Microsoft Clickonce.

While I was writing this post, I did some further investigation on the Microsoft Client Firewall and I found a workaround to solve this kind of issue for us.
    I did not have time to test it yet:

For this workaround, we will have to define 1 Inbound and 1 Outbound Rule using ip-adresses and ports of the target hosts or target subnets:
    Here is how:

1) Define a new Outbound/Inbound Rule, choose Custom

2) Choose all programs:

3) Choose the ports your Genesys Workspace or Genesys SIP EndPoint will be using towards the target hosts/Target subnet:
    for ex.: 443

4) choose the Target Hosts or Target Subnets:
    for ex: 192.168.1.0/24 - all ips in the subnet

5) Allow the connection:

6) Define when this rule should be active:

7) Define a name:

I think that these Rules might not block the mention UAC-Window from the Client Firewall, but I hope it enables all required connections for the Genesys Workspace/SIPEndPoint in the end.

In case you have a better idea or any suggestions, I am looking forward to you feedback.

Felix

• 5.  RE: Genesys Workspace change Installation Path using ClickOnce as Deployment Method

GENESYS
    Posted 09-06-2021 07:00
    Hi Felix,

Thanks for letting us know the details. However, Genesys Information Experience does not have the expertise to make recommendations that are specific to your environment. We recommend that you (or have an administrator from your organization) login to the Genesys Customer Care website and open a support request to assist you further. 

Regards,
    Sandhya
    Information Experience

Sandhya Ravindran
    Genesys - Employees

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources