Genesys Engage on-premises

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Trying to get inbound calls to provide treatment using SIP Server installed on AWS EC2 instance

Posted 03-10-2021 09:57
    I have an AWS EC2 instance where I installed SIP Server, RM/MCP in order to provide treatments.  When I call internally everything works fine, however when I try to play the same treatment when calling from the outside it always fails.

After doing some more research / troubleshooting I have found that the problem is that the IP that SIP Server is binding to is the private IP of my EC2 instance so my external provider cannot respond back.  When I try to change my SIP Server 'sip-address' to instead be the public IP, SIPServer will not even start because it is not a "physical" IP interface and therefore SIPServer cannot bind to it.

I have to believe that there is someone out there that was able to get this to work using an AWS EC2 instance.  I have searched everywhere but have been unable to find a solution.  Please help!
    #SIP/VolP

------------------------------
    Adam Mazur
    Systems Analyst

• 2.  RE: Trying to get inbound calls to provide treatment using SIP Server installed on AWS EC2 instance

Posted 03-11-2021 05:18
    You need a session border controller type device in between which can do manipulation of the IP and keeps the session information. basically NAT is required for packet being sent out

You cannot directly work this way!

Hassan Shaikh
    C Square Consulting PVT Ltd

• 3.  RE: Trying to get inbound calls to provide treatment using SIP Server installed on AWS EC2 instance
    Best Answer

Posted 03-11-2021 06:56
    Hassan is right that this is why SBCs exist :)

However, I think if you were to use the sip-address-srv option, then use split DNS setting up external DNS resolution to the public IP and internal DNS to the private IP, then I think it might work...  Of course you'll need access to the DNS for the FQDN....

sip-address-srv
    Default Value: No default value
    Valid Values: Valid Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN)
    Changes Take Effect: After SIP Server restart
    Related Feature: "DNS Name Resolution" on page 217
    When specified, SIP Server can use this FQDN as its own contact for the DNS
    name resolution procedure

Attention! This value will be inserted in the Contact and Via header fields of
    all outgoing SIP messages.

Jason McLennan
    Commonwealth Bank of Australia

• 4.  RE: Trying to get inbound calls to provide treatment using SIP Server installed on AWS EC2 instance

Posted 03-12-2021 05:40
    Thanks  Jason, I would love to see if your suggestion works, as it will fix my too many other problems.

Adam, please update if you are able to test the case successfully.

Hassan Shaikh
    C Square Consulting PVT Ltd

• 5.  RE: Trying to get inbound calls to provide treatment using SIP Server installed on AWS EC2 instance

Posted 03-12-2021 14:49

Believe it or not all we had to do to fix this was change the 'sip-address' option on the SIP Server (which tells SIP where to bind 5060 to and fills in the contact field on outbound calls) to the public DNS entry of ec2-XX-XXX-XXX-XX.compute-1.amazonaws.com.  Previously I had been trying the private and public IPs directly.  A teammate of mine realized that externally that DNS resolves to the public IP, while internally this resolves to the private IP.  I updated the option, restarted the SIP Server.  It started!  Then I placed my test call and voila!  Definitely writing this one down for future reference!

Adam Mazur
    Systems Analyst

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources