Genesys Engage on-premises

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Load Balancer - Pulse application

Posted 11-18-2019 07:34
    Team,

For our testing, we have two pulse instances 9.0, both acts as primary and both are interconnected.
    And both pulse instances, were connected to the primary pulse collector.

Now we login the pulse with the common url, set it up during load balancer, And the pulse application launched successfully. And we can able to add widgets.
    And now, when we stop one of the pulse instance in SCI, The pulse application loaded with the common url, gets successfully working some times.

And sometimes, the pulse application loaded with the common url, gets error message as "connection Failed" and gets logged out from the pulse application.

And then when we login to the application, it gets loaded correctly/resume the pulse application, No statistics get lost.

Whether it is expected behavior of pulse application getting logged out, or whether the  pulse application should not get logged out.

Looking forward for your helpful suggestions..

Thanks,
    Anandapriyan.R
    #Reporting/Analytics

------------------------------
    Anandapriyan Ravichandran
    Pointel (formerly Touch Point)

• 2.  RE: Load Balancer - Pulse application

Posted 11-21-2019 03:13
    Team,

We found in our genesys deployment guide, i.e. If one pulse instance fails, the second pulse instance take over and the login page of the pulse application will be displayed.

The concern in that is,We are using pulse loadbalancer url,  when we stop one of the pulse instance,
    and we go to the pulse application,and switch over between the expanded widgets tab, it shows as spinning wheel for widgets and display as connection failed in the pulse application, and then automatically getting to the login page.After login, the pulse application resumes successfully with another pulse instance. No statistics were lost.

Is there any solutions to avoid or hide the connection failed error message in the widgets. I hereby request you to please provide your useful and helpful suggestion to solve this concern.

Thanks,
    Anandapriyan.R

• 3.  RE: Load Balancer - Pulse application

Posted 11-24-2019 15:14
    This is the expected behaviour from my experience.  When you login to a pulse instance, your session is created against that instance.  If that instance is no longer available, then the Load Balancer should take that instance out of service and point you to a different instance.  As you have no session created there, you'll need to log back in.
    Pulse Collector is responsible for gathering stats from Stat Server, so the Pulse Client application starting and restarting should not affect the gathering of statistics.
    We did have a bit of an issue getting session persistence working in a multi-site F5 BigIP environment, although that doesnt seem to be your issue (note we're still on Pulse 8.5 as a GAX Plugin but I imagine should be the same for Pulse 9).  We were able to get this working by:
    1. Using Global Availability as the Load Balancing Method at the GTM layer
    2. Using Least Sessions and Crating a Universal Persistence profile based on the below iRule at the LTM layer

If you want to avoid the user having to log back in, you may be able to setup SAML SSO.  While I've not tried it, I think given that Pulse 9 was split off from GAX/Pulse 8.5 you MAY be able to use the instructions here: https://docs.genesys.com/Documentation/GA/latest/Dep/SSO to setup SSO.  Or maybe it wont work :)
    when HTTP_REQUEST {
    if { [HTTP::cookie exists "JSESSIONID"] } {
    persist uie [HTTP::cookie "JSESSIONID"]
    }
    if { [HTTP::uri] equals "/" } {
    HTTP::redirect "/gax/"
    }
    }
    when HTTP_RESPONSE {
    if { [HTTP::cookie exists "JSESSIONID"] } {
    persist add uie [HTTP::cookie "JSESSIONID"]
    }
    }

Jason McLennan
    Commonwealth Bank of Australia

• 4.  RE: Load Balancer - Pulse application

Posted 11-25-2019 09:26
    Hi team,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Thanks,
    Anandapriyan.R

• 5.  RE: Load Balancer - Pulse application

Posted 06-18-2020 11:54

Hi Jason 

We are facing the similar issue in our environment.

But i believe using Global Availability , will not distribute requests between by Pulse hosts . As per my understanding if we are using this option , all my requests will be sent to the first host in the list . Only when the first host becomes unavailable then the requests are sent to the next host in the list.

So in our environment , we are deciding number of Pulse Servers based on the no of users who are going to access the application . Do you think we can still use Global Availability , as this is reducing my no of users capacity ?

Lakshmi Venkata Aditya Kumar
    JPMorgan Chase

• 6.  RE: Load Balancer - Pulse application

Posted 06-18-2020 12:47
    Hi Lakshmi, do you mind explaining a little more about your architecture to be able to help?
    But at a high level:
    • F5 GTM is basically a DNS server.  It can not enforce session stickiness, so therefor you need to ensure that it'll always be pointing to the same Virtual IP at the LTM layer based upon the network location every time a users DNS request is refreshed.  We originally had the load balancing at Topology at this layer, but as forwarding DNS servers seemed to be load balancing between our two GTMs, users were being bounced between the two LTM VIPs below.  If your network topology is different then you may be able to avoid this.  But by setting it to Global Availability, you will be basically designating one pool as the Primary, and reserving another pool as a Business Continuity in the event the first pool is unavailable.
    • At the LTM layer we have a Pool with 3 nodes for each site.  There we use Least Session Load Balancing and the above universal persistence profile.  This will balance between the 3 hosts in each pool, while maintaining session.

Jason McLennan
    Commonwealth Bank of Australia

• 7.  RE: Load Balancer - Pulse application

Posted 06-11-2020 10:00
    Hi 

Do you have your Pulse and Pulse collectors on the same host ? If not you have to use Web Dav (Lighttpd ) in the version 9 of the Pulse application .

Thanks
    Aditya Namburi

Lakshmi Venkata Aditya Kumar
    JPMorgan Chase

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources