Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

• 1.  Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

Posted 06-15-2017 06:51

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post, so if its not please move it.

I have a that customer that downloads the softphone from https://apps.mypurecloud.com/softphone-windows/ 

But its not the latest version. When it starts it updates.

They are about to deploy it to agents computers so would be nice to get the newest version so not all have to update after deploy.

So where to get the lastest version? 

Isnt the version on the website suppose to be the lastest? 

I tried making a supportcase, but they They referred me to this forum.

• 2.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 06-18-2017 05:13

I have alerted a few people. No guarantees, though - the system is designed with the concept that phone firmware will automatically update from the Internet, so you don't need to install the latest version.

• 3.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 06-19-2017 18:59

Another question, Patrick - why is the customer using the installed softphone rather than using the PureCloud web-based phone (WebRTC phone that is browser-based)?

• 4.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

Posted 06-20-2017 06:38

My guess is that they want a standalone software for this.

So they can deploy it in the image for the PCs.

• 5.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 06-20-2017 13:42

I do not intend to be rude, but that would not be a very good reason for installing the softphone. They would have to update their images every time the softphone is updated (which is whenever the Edge software updates).

With the WebRTC phone, all of the configuration is done in Admin. It can be assigned as a user's default phone, so the agent doesn't need to worry about selecting the phone for use when they log in. Much simpler than all the configuration and maintenance that goes into using the installed softphone.

(If they want to share the same phone between multiple agents hot-seating in a call center, WebRTC is still just as easy as the softphone, since you cannot set which phone to use in the PC image...the agents still have to select the correct phone when they log in. The softphone would still have the maintenance issues.)

• 6.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

Posted 06-20-2017 14:08

I have raised the question to my customer, mabye it is better for them to use the WebRTC.

• 7.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 06-20-2017 14:12

Ok.

In any case, after some internal discussion I have recommended to Development that they do not need to keep the download updated, since the softphone software updates fairly often, and it is currently working as designed.

• 8.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 06-21-2017 12:29

The following articles were updated to state that the PureCloud Softphone automatically updates to the latest version each time you log in to PureCloud: https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/download-purecloud-softphone/ and https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/start-exit-purecloud-softphone/.

• 9.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

Posted 06-21-2017 12:36

None of you are actually answering the question.

Let me refrase.

Why is not the softphone on the download page the newest version?

Should not the softphone there be updated at the same time a new version is released?

• 10.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 06-21-2017 12:57

Because PureCloud is on a "continuous release" cycle, the design is to continuously push updates into the cloud and, in the case of installed applications like the Softphone, to the installed applications. There is no defined release cycle, and with the incremental updates there is not necessarily a defined "latest release" to post.

The system is behaving as designed - you use the latest posted install package to install the software locally, and PureCloud automatically updates that software as needed. Eventually another install package is built, gets posted, and the cycle starts over again.

That's how continuous release works for all of PureCloud - you just don't see it most of the time, since it happens in the cloud rather than an installed application.

• 11.  RE: Newest version of Purecloud Softphone

Posted 11-18-2018 05:18
    Hi,
    Just bouncing on this old post. Is there a way to stop the automatic update? We would like to have control on version.
    Also, where can we find release note of latest PureCloud Softphone and some form of description? 
    Today current version is Version: 16.2.0.1888 , on https://apps.mypurecloud.com/softphone-windows/ 
    Thanks,
    Stephane

------------------------------
    Stephane Gilbert
    Pyrios NZ Ltd
    ------------------------------

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources