View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

• 1.  Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

Posted 02-15-2017 03:16

Is having this combination possible?

Has anyone tried?

I can get my softphone to register but no speech paths are available.

• 2.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 16:19

I have not heard of anyone trying with DirectAccess. 

With VPN, the Softphone requires that you choose the VPN adapter under Options>Network Adapter. Does DirectAccess show as a Network Adapter? If yes, is your Softphone configured to use it?

• 3.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 22:31

Right. I am familiar with the technology concepts, but we don't use it so I haven't had occasion to see whether there is an adapter to choose. I guessed not, but wanted to be sure.

I don't think it has been tested here, and I doubt that it is supported, but I will check around.

• 4.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 22:36

The developers mainly ask why anyone is still using the Softphone when we have provided the PureCloud web-based phone that uses WebRTC and does not require the VPN connection...

• 5.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 22:37

So, out of curiosity, what is the business case for installed Softphone vs. the WebRTC-based web-phone?

• 6.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 22:39

An obvious one, of course, is that it requires Chrome or Firefox (or the installed PureCloud Desktop). It would be great to be able to give them real feedback from the field, though :-)

• 7.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 22:50

Take a look at this article on the Resource Center:

https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/get-purecloud-webrtc-phones-running/

• 8.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 22:52

Basically, you set up a Phone Trunk so the WebRTC phones can register, set up Base Settings for the phones, and create a WebRTC Phone for each user. You associate the phone with a specific user, so access is based on their PureCloud login rather than MAC address. It uses their computer's sound device, like the softphone, but through the browser.

• 9.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 22:53

Then, the user has to select the configured phone in the Phone Selector in their PureCloud UI.

• 10.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 23:09

I can't remember when it was enabled for everyone...maybe last September? Release Notes say Sept. 19, but I can't remember if that was Limited Release or full availability.

• 11.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 23:25

Sorry, the images don't seem to have come through, so I can't see what you mean.

• 12.  RE: Microsoft DirectAccess and softphone

Posted 02-21-2017 05:09

Hi @Alex De Gracia,

Following on our email conversation, I would like to add the big difference between WebRTC and PureCloud SIP Softphone stations. WebRTC station requires internet access available at PureCloud Edge and Agent. If edges go into survivability mode no calls will be assigned to agents who use WebRTC stations, while PureCloud SIP Softphones can still function.

Regards,

Kirill.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources