Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

• 1.  Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

Posted 09-20-2020 22:52
    Hi dear experts! I hope you can help me with reviewing what am I missing on configuring a Generic SIP phone on Genesys Cloud - BYOC Premises using a Virtual Edge.

What have I got so far:
    • A Phone Trunk of type SIP to specify a port/transport protocol where the Virtual Edge will listen. This Phone Trunk is associated with the Edge Group. It is marked to accept by any IP adddress.
    • A Phone Management "Base Settings" with the Generic SIP model. All its settings are default.
    • Created a "Phone" named "6600". Selected the "Generic SIP" base settings. Specified its site.
    • On the "line keys", it automatically created a "Line Appearance ID" as "6600_1". I assume I should change it to "6600" in a way that this is what is used to match the user-part of the URI on From/To of SIP "REGISTER" message received by the endpoint.
    • I removed the Auth Username and Password (also attempted using the same "6600" as the line name"
    • On the endpoint, I used 6600 as the User Name, in a way that it is what is filled on the user-part of sip uri on "From", "To" and "Contact" headers.
    • When I finish those settings, when I try to open/register the endpoint against the port/transport specified on the Phone Trunk, I get back a 404 Not Found response code.

Any clues on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards,
    Henrique Sujdik
    #Implementation
    #Integrations
    #SIP/VolP
    #SystemAdministration
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Henrique Sujdik
    Interaxa Brasil

• 2.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 09-21-2020 17:11
    Make sure the transport protocol on the phone and the Phone Trunk match (UDP/TCP/TLS).

Also make sure the phone is registering using the Listen Port configured on the Phone Trunk.

George Ganahl GCP (Genesys Cloud), ICCE
    Principal Technology Consultant
    Genesys

• 3.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

Posted 09-21-2020 19:39
    Hi George. Thank you for the response.

The transport protocol and port used by my endpoint match the Phone Trunk setting. Otherwise, I assume I would have something like 408 Request Timeout instead of 404 Not Found.

Henrique Sujdik
    Interaxa Brasil

• 4.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 09-28-2020 13:42
    Once you create your phone you should have Edges assigned - this ensures that the site configuration is correct.  Does you phone have Edges listed in the Primary Edge and Secondary Edge fields?   Are those the Edges that you are sending the Registration to?  If you do not have Edges listed, make sure the Phone is connect to a site with local Edges or the site the phone is assigned has the correct Edge sites listed under Phone Edge Assignments.

Phil Whitener
    Genesys - Employees

• 5.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

Posted 09-29-2020 15:47
    Hi, Phil. Thank you for your reply.

As I'm trying to register a Generic SIP phone, only a primary Edge is allowed. The phone is associated with a Site, which my Edge Group resides. The Phone Edge Assinments is set to Use This Site. This is a laboratory environment so I only have one Edge - thus I can confirm the REGISTER messages are going to the correct edge.

Still, I always get 404 Not Found for the REGISTER message.

Do you know what Phone Management configuration option the user-part of the SIP URIs of the REGISTER message should match? I named everything the same way (Phone Name = Line Appearance ID = User Name = 6600), but still I get no luck at all. :(

Henrique Sujdik
    Interaxa Brasil

• 6.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 09-29-2020 16:48
    Edited by Phil Whitener 09-29-2020 16:52
    Henrique, thank you for the details.

This is not related to your issue, however, generic phones do support redundant Edges, but you have to enabled "Use Secondary Edge" on the Phone Base Settings.  https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/phone-redundancy/   But that is not an issue since you only have one Edge in your environment.

The user portion of the REGISTER should match the Line Appearance ID on the Line Key tab.  It sounds like you have that set already.

If you can provide a copy of your REGISTER and 404 response i can review in more detail.  I have provided an example of my working generic station registering below.  Here are a few other things you can try...

• I know you are sending REGISTER to the only Edge; however, please confirm that the  Edge is listed on the Phone (Phone Management, select the Phone, check the Edge assignments on the Grey Card).
    • Check your trunk assignments and ensure that you are sending the REGISTER messages to the port of the Phone Trunk.  Confirm the IP of the interface the Phone Trunk is assigned.  Also confirm that the IP and Port is not shared with an External Trunk.
    • Try adding an alpha character as a prefix of the Line Appearance ID and update your generic station's REGISTER to match.  Perhaps the numeric only name is causing the Edge to match the number plan.  Without logs, that is only a guess, but should not be the case on a REGISTER hitting a phone trunk - but something to try.  I do not believe this is the case, but I mostly use alpha based station names.

In this sample I use Linphone as a softphone client.  Generic Phone showing Primary and Secondary Edge assignments (in Grey Card).  In my test one Edge has been shutdown, hence one Edge shows Disconnected.

REGISTER sip:localhost SIP/2.0
    Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.4.55:5060;branch=z9hG4bK.IwWucr-Pr;rport
    To: sip:Linphone_1@localhost
    CSeq: 54 REGISTER
    Call-ID: 3NMASnz1jO
    Max-Forwards: 70
    Supported: replaces, outbound, gruu
    Accept: application/sdp
    Accept: text/plain
    Accept: application/vnd.gsma.rcs-ft-http+xml
    Contact: <sip:Linphone_1@192.168.4.55;transport=udp>;message-expires=30;+sip.instance="<urn:uuid:d0bf9427-ab95-41dd-adb4-b6e35e0798d9>"
    Expires: 30
    User-Agent: Linphone Desktop/4.2.0-alpha-14-g0d3c37b (Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, Qt 5.12.5) LinphoneCore/4.4.0-alpha-131-g0883fe6

SIP/2.0 200 OK
    To: <sip:Linphone_1@localhost>;tag=301500212
    Call-ID: 3NMASnz1jO
    CSeq: 54 REGISTER
    Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.4.55:5060;branch=z9hG4bK.IwWucr-Pr;rport=5060;received=192.168.4.55
    Contact: <sip:Linphone_1@192.168.4.55;transport=udp>;expires=30
    Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 20:48:51 GMT
    User-Agent: ININ-EDGE/1.0.0.9296
    Content-Length: 0

Phil Whitener
    Genesys - Employees

• 7.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 09-29-2020 16:24
    What are you entering on the SIP phone for the Server address and port (whatever your phone uses to point it to the Registrar)?

What type of phone are you trying to register?

George Ganahl GCP (Genesys Cloud), ICCE
    Principal Technology Consultant
    Genesys

• 8.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

Posted 09-29-2020 17:34
    First of all, thank you all for your time. What an awesome community :)

@George Ganahl:
    I'm trying to register using the Genesys Pure Engage SIP Endpoint. It is a very simple endpoint. I also tried with MicroSIP, and both got the same error. ​

As for the question regarding the server address and port: server address is the IP of my Virtual Edge (the VM, no the physical host). It only has one vNIC, so Data, SIP and RTP go through the same address on that VM (its a lab deployment). The port is 5060 with UDP transport. This is the port configured on the Phone Trunk that is associated with the Edge Group, and the Edge is set to Inherit the Phone Trunks from the Edge Group.

@Phil Whitener:
    ​About the Edge being listed, yes it is as shown below (disregard that this number is 6601 instead of 6600 as I informed before. I tried to create a new one just in case...)

About the IP/Port not being shared with an external trunk... that actually might be it. I will try to change to another port.

About the alpha character, I assumed the same as you, and already tried that.

Thanks guys. I will perform some more tests changing the port number to an unused by an External Trunk and will let you know my findings.

Henrique Sujdik
    Interaxa Brasil

• 9.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

Posted 09-29-2020 17:41
    Quick feedback: That was exactly it! Changing the Phone Trunk port to another "free" port number did the trick. I am used to Genesys Engage SIP Server, in which you use the same port fo both SIP Registrar and SIP Proxy.

Now it makes more sense to me the reason why the default ININ Endpoint port is 8060.

Thank you very much guys. Really apreciated.

Best regards,
    HDS

Henrique Sujdik
    Interaxa Brasil

• 10.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 09-29-2020 19:40
    Great news Henrique -

Additionally, you are able to share a listener on the Edge with multiple trunks if that is what you would like to do; however, there must be some unique characteristic about the two trunks - if the IP and port are the same, then there must be a unique ACL.  You mentioned earlier that you selected "Allow All" IP addresses - if you have a unique ACL for either the Phone Trunk or the External Trunk then you can place both on the common port.

Phil Whitener
    Genesys - Employees

• 11.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

Posted 09-29-2020 21:06
    Thanks Phil. I didn't see anything about that on the docs. I assume that's how the Edge matches which internal service it should use when it receives a request.

Henrique Sujdik
    Interaxa Brasil

• 12.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 09-30-2020 10:59
    Correct, the trunks themselves are logical entities that can be tied to one or more listeners on the Edge.  When you create a trunk in the UI it is actually a trunkBase and each time that trunkBase is applied to an interface a trunk instance is created.  You can oversubscribe an IP & port listener with multiple trunk entries and in that case the ACL acts as the distinguishing element to direct each dialog to a specific trunk.

I will check the documentation to see if additional details are needed for clarification.

Phil Whitener
    Genesys - Employees

• 13.  RE: Generic SIP registration on BYOC Premises Virtual Edge

Posted 09-01-2023 07:44

Hi Phil !!

just a question...we have found that sometimes we need to reprovision a Softphone because we found some issues with the conection. we use TCP in the phone trunk, and the users connect using a VPN behind Firewall.

Is there a way to mantain the Softphone conection active??? (using OPTIONS or similar) ..I suspect the firewall is reset the TPC conection, and that could be the reason the agent need to reprovision again and again.

Thanks!

David Fradejas Tomás
    Sabio Ibérica, S.A.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources