Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Bulk update of External contacts

Posted 08-27-2019 12:27
    Hi,

I want to know if it is possible to update some fields of existing contacts in Purecloud by importing the original csv file (that containg all updates)

I believe it will erase and replace the existing contacts (we must keep the same ID Contact of each entry), but what about the history of the interactions done by each contacts, it will be also deleted or Purecloud will keep it unchanged after the update (import csv) ?

Thank you in advance.
    #PlatformAdministration
    #SystemAdministration
    #Telephony

• 2.  RE: Bulk update of External contacts

GENESYS
    Posted 08-27-2019 15:19
    I can only speak to my own testing, but I find that the history of interactions is kept intact when you update contact info by doing another import, as long as you have the correct ID (it has to match the original used to create the contact at first import or, if the contact was created within PureCloud, has to match the ID in PureCloud which you can get via the API Explorer).

------------------------------
    George Ganahl GCP (PureCloud) ICCE CCXP
    Principal Technology Consultant
    Genesys

• 3.  RE: Bulk update of External contacts

Posted 08-28-2019 03:03
    Hi George,

Thanks for your answer, I will do more tests to confirm this

Thank you.

Oudderhem Mostafa
    Coverage-Communication

• 4.  RE: Bulk update of External contacts

Posted 10-15-2019 05:26
    Hi

Is there any way to get the original (external) ID used in the bulk CSV import using the API?

I've looked through the organization and external contact API's but haven't found it. Seems to be a hidden field.

Or am I just looking in the wrong API?

BR Anders

Anders Vejen
    TDC Netdesign

• 5.  RE: Bulk update of External contacts

GENESYS
    Posted 10-16-2019 10:29
    Hi Anders, 

For expert help using PureCloud APIs, may I suggest that you post this question in our Developer Forum?

Becky Powell
    Principal Product Manager, PureCloud Open Platform
    Genesys - Employees

• 6.  RE: Bulk update of External contacts

GENESYS
    Posted 10-16-2019 12:20
    The Contact Id column from the import CSV is not found directly in the API call. If you are fortunate, it was also in the "Contact External System URL" column in the original CSV.

When you GET the external contacts using https://developer.mypurecloud.com/api/rest/v2/externalcontacts/#get-api-v2-externalcontacts-contacts look for the field "externalSystemUrl":
    That field might contain the ID from the bulk import CSV.

"modifyDate": "2019-08-27T19:15:46Z",
          "createDate": "2018-11-25T22:10:19Z",
          "externalOrganization": {
            "id": "24278d16-dcd4-4d37-b1ec-50972128bd8a",
            "selfUri": "/api/v2/externalcontacts/organizations/24278d16-dcd4-4d37-b1ec-50972128bd8a"
          },
          "surveyOptOut": false,
          "externalSystemUrl": "https://www.example.com/contacts/1234567890",
          "selfUri": "/api/v2/externalcontacts/contacts/6dba98ff-7d78-46c0-a96f-234897dfa366"
        }
    In this example, the Contact Id in the CSV was 1234567890, and was included as part of the URL. If your original CSV was not set up that way I don't have a good suggestion for what you might do. Perhaps someone in the Developer Forum Becky linked will know.

Genesys

• 7.  RE: Bulk update of External contacts

Posted 10-17-2019 07:30
    Thanks @Becky Powell and @George Ganahl (Mr. 4k ;)).

I created a topic in the Developer Forum and suggested to customer that we use a fake URL containing the original ID used.​​​

The reason for asking is that if you do subsequent CSV imports, the original ID is used by PureCloud to determine if it's an update or a new contact/organisation.

So it is hard if you don't know the original ID used... and you end up creating duplicates.

Anders Vejen
    TDC Netdesign

• 8.  RE: Bulk update of External contacts

GENESYS
    Posted 10-17-2019 08:14

Sounds good. 

Of course, they could always save the original CSV with their original IDs in a safe place and just use that as the basis to update the external contacts :-)

Genesys

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources