View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

• 1.  Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

Posted 05-26-2020 08:21
    Edited by Julie Green 06-01-2020 10:18
    Good morning,

Wondering if anyone is having or has had the issue where calls that come in are skipping over the IVR steps and getting placed into queue automatically. We have IVR set up to collect personal data to match with product type and also to ask product type to route to correct queue. Some calls (not all) do not get any of these prompts and are being sent into our default queue. The last customer I spoke with said there was some dead air on the line when called in and then just hold music in the queue. This is creating an issue with analytics and customer experience as agents in the general queue do have to transfer some calls manually as they are not trained to handle all calls. We have not made any changes to our IVR but this has been happening for a number of weeks now. Any thoughts or experience with this?
    #Routing(ACD/IVR)
    #Telephony
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Julie Green
    Sentinel Benefits & Financial Group

Update - Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. The problem is, this is not happening to all calls. But the frequency is increasing. Last week the number of calls doubled and made up 40% of incoming calls going into our default queue. I have a support ticket in but not really getting far with the support team. We updated the barge-in setting as they thought noise on the line was being received as input and couldn't verify with menu so defaulted. Since changing that the IVR plays but now when menu items selected they are not recognized. Response was no DTMF input even though callers reported entering selections. It feels like a latency issue but I'm not sure. Any other thoughts or directions I could try for resolution?

• 2.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

Posted 05-26-2020 10:32
    Hi Julie,

Have you verified via the Flows view and timeline that they are taking the expected route and ending up in the Flow you expect them in?

If so, it could be that errors are occurring in the call flow, such as when it attempts to play a prompt.

Are you using on prem edges? if so, what size?

Have you listened to recordings to verify what the caller is describing? Are you able to verify how long the customer hears dead air before going into queue?

If you don't hear audio in the recording and the visualization is just a straight line, you may want to get some examples and open a ticket. Support can pull edge logs and determine where the failure occurs.

Thanks,

Daniel McLeod
    Qsect LLC

• 3.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

Posted 05-27-2020 02:50
    Hi, Julie,

I have a customer experienced that before. 

In the IVR call flow, it used to call PureCloud Data Action and get results to decide the next action. However, somehow there was a change on the API that PureCloud Data Action called, thus it caused my IVR not functioning as expected. 

As Daniel suggested, it is good to play a prompt after all your If-then-else condition checking, that will be easier for you to figure out what is wrong with your IVR.

Johnson Lu
    MFE International Pte Ltd.

• 4.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

Posted 05-31-2020 04:07
    Hi Julie,

Please have a look if you have this option enabled on your IVR menus:

When this feature is enabled if the customer provides a sequence of digits that is a perfect match with an extension number the call is routed directly to the agent.

Paulo Mesquita
    Spark NZ Trading

• 5.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

GENESYS
    Posted 06-01-2020 11:29
    Customer Care can look at what happened in the Architect flow for a particular call by examining the Edge logs. Do you have an open case, I hope? (Also, hopefully getting some info back?)

George Ganahl GCP (Genesys Cloud), ICCE
    Principal Technology Consultant
    Genesys

• 6.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

Posted 06-02-2020 08:46
    Thanks. yes, I had also opened a support case but wasn't getting much from them unfortunately. After more testing yesterday we found that the menu selections are not registering if selected during the menu. We made no changes to the IVR and this definitely didn't happen historically so I am not sure what the problem is. (This is after I was told there was not a problem with architect). There is definitely a setting that needs fixing. Hopefully they will get back to me today and we can resolve. Thanks again for all of the input.

Julie Green

• 7.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

GENESYS
    Posted 06-02-2020 09:49
    What kind of deployment and edges do you have? Physical or virtual edges on premises or cloud-based with BYOC Cloud or PureCloud Voice?

The main thing I would check is whether you have barge-in enabled on the menus. 

If you are using the Collect Input action on tasks to gather DTMF, it is a check-box in the Audio Sequence dialog:

If on a menu it is in the Audio Sequence dialog for the Menu Prompt:

If it is not enabled, folks can press buttons while the menu is playing and it will not recognize them until the prompts finish playing, which could appear to then skip menus I think once the buffered DTMF gets recognized (especially since a caller will often press multiple buttons trying to get the menu to do something).

Genesys

• 8.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

Posted 06-02-2020 10:07
    That is interesting and explains why the numbers went up so much last week. Support told me to uncheck those boxes. Ugh. That is frustrating and now gets me back to square one with no resolution to why it was happening in the first place.

We have Purecloud Voice and virtual edges. I am going to call support today to try to get this resolved.

Julie Green

• 9.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

GENESYS
    Posted 06-02-2020 21:28
    Hmmm...The main reason for un-checking those boxes is to force a caller to listen all the way through a disclaimer or something like that before moving on.

PM me your case #​

Genesys

• 10.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

GENESYS
    Posted 06-03-2020 10:33
    I'm wondering if you have the global Speech Rec option turned on:

If so, are you actually using Speech Rec on your menus? Having it turned on causes the menus to listen for speech, so if the caller says anything (or there is background noise) the system tries to analyze the input, barging into the menu prompt and defeating the ability to enter DTMF. The caller should hear some indication that their input wasn't understood...but that depends on confidence level settings and some other things.

Genesys

• 11.  RE: Inbound Calls skipping IVR steps

Posted 06-03-2020 14:58
    Just to add on to what George said, unless a customer request speech rec (no one really has), i uncheck that option. I also disable extension dialing under Settings > Menus on every flow. This prevents all of the unwanted background noise issues and extension issues.

One other thing I try to tell everyone is that if they use speakerphone, to mute their phone when using an IVR. I don't know how many times this has been the caused problems in testing and prod.

Thanks,

Daniel McLeod
    Qsect LLC

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources