Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Configuring Polycom VVX phones for at home agents with Local Edges

Posted 02-07-2020 01:01
    Let me start by saying that I am familiar with configuring edges, trunks, and phones in PureCloud. I have no problem with configuring remote, analog, or on prem managed phones with local edges. I also have never had an issue deploying remote Polycom phones with PCV. Local edges are a different story. Also, we are already using WebRTC phones as backups, but want Polycom phones to work remotely.

I cannot find any documentation or mention in the community or elsewhere on how to configure Polycom VVX phones (301s) for use by remote/external/at home agents. I made the incorrect assumption that this would be easy, since it is very common when using PureCloud Voice and virtual edges. Unfortunately that has not been the case.

The primary issue I see, is that even if I use a NATed public IP or even an SBC, the phones 1st line appearance will always default to the ip address of the edge device, which is a private IP. We could get around this by manually configuring the server ip on each phone. I am hoping someone knows something I don't and has a solution for this.

If anyone has done this or has knowledge of how to do this, please let me know. I'm open to adding an SBC or whatever is needed in order to get this working. I have SIParators available and could also order the SBC modules for local mediant 1000Bs as alternative. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Whatever works at this point.

I have a ticket open, but haven't gotten anywhere with it and need to explore other options at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Daniel McLeod
    #ArchitectureandDesign
    #Implementation
    #SIP/VolP
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Daniel McLeod
    Qsect LLC

• 2.  RE: Configuring Polycom VVX phones for at home agents with Local Edges

Posted 02-07-2020 03:18
    Hi Daniel,

This should work fine over a VPN,

I've used Port Forwarding for a remote phone with Asterisk but never tried with PureCloud.

What is the protocol you are using (TCP, UDP, TLS)?

Paulo Mesquita
    Spark NZ Trading

• 3.  RE: Configuring Polycom VVX phones for at home agents with Local Edges

Posted 02-07-2020 08:00
    We are definitely trying to accomplish this without a VPN.

PureCloud Voice supports this easily, but unfortunately the configuration is not easy replicate. The PCV virtual edges have private IPs assigned, but the phone gets a registration server of a public IP address. There is nothing special configured on the phone or it's base settings. They do enable FENT on the phone trunks, but there must be something custom done on the provisioning server to get those working. Regardless of how the provisioning is handled, I am looking for what I would need to replicate the architecture. There's got to be a proxy or SBC involved, but you can't see this simply from the config.

Thanks

Daniel McLeod
    Qsect LLC

• 4.  RE: Configuring Polycom VVX phones for at home agents with Local Edges

Posted 02-21-2020 13:35
    For anyone else attempting to do this, the only easy option is to configure a public IP on the WAN interface of the edge. You cannot use any other interface, since the WAN port is the only port that can communicate with PureCloud and setting a static route on any other port would break this. You also need to ensure your SIP phone trunk uses FENT.

Using an SBC will work, but you would need to use the 2nd line appearance or phones would need to be configured manually or you could use your own provisioning server. The 1st line appearance does not allow you to override the proxy for registration if your configuring and provisioning via PureCloud and still want managed phones.

Thanks,
    Daniel McLeod

Daniel McLeod
    Qsect LLC

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources