Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Understanding the "Initialize Flow Outcome" action in Architect

Posted 06-17-2021 16:51
    We have just started using flow outcomes to track what's happening during the flow with a customer and I have gotten a pretty good understanding of how this works and when to use it. However, I see that there are quite a few new options for the flow actions. Including "Initialize Flow Outcome". I've read the resource center and can't seem to get a grasp on how this would be used or a situation in which it would be used and was wondering if I could get an explanation.
    #ArchitectureandDesign

------------------------------
    Jonathan L
    Outdoor Network LLC

• 2.  RE: Understanding the "Initialize Flow Outcome" action in Architect

Posted 06-17-2021 17:40
    HI Jonathan

Iniitalize Flow Outcome isn't a new option.  The new item that's been added is for outcome milestones.  Previously you could initialise the flow outcome, then set the result of that outcome later in the flow (by default, incomplete = failed if you don't set a successful outcome result somewhere).

For the milestones, a good use case would be something like making a credit card payment.  The overall flow outcome would be processing a card payment, and the various milestones would be something like:

1. Gather customer account number
    2. Confirm customer identity
    3. Gather amount to pay
    4. Gather card number
    5. Gather expiry
    6. Gather card security/cvc 
    7. Submit
    8. Result

Depending on the result here you could set the overall flow outcome to be either failed or success.  But with milestones marked at each of those steps, eventually (when some level of reporting/views is exposed for this) you'll be able to see how far someone got in the overall flow to help identify where there may  need to be further investigation.

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

• 3.  RE: Understanding the "Initialize Flow Outcome" action in Architect

Posted 08-06-2021 14:47
    Hi all, 

I'm also in the same boat as Jonathan, and would find it helpful to see Genesys provide some sample use cases for each new feature.

Hi Vaun/group,

Thank you for the input. I feel it will certainly be helpful to be able to report on the Milestones as well; however, I'm still a bit fuzzy on when you would use a Milestone vs. initializing. With my limited understanding of these new features, I would assume that the Milestone wouldn't require the Outcome since it's a precursor to the final selection/path/endpoint. I might be getting caught up in the semantics - please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Milestone is a sub-segment of the final Outcomes are we selecting the Outcome so that they system can organize it accordingly? 

I'm thinking of it in terms of how it would flow in the IVR: the customer hits a certain point of the IVR, I initialize the outcome, it hits a milestone, hits another milestone, and then i set the Outcome. Does Initializing Flow Outcomes appear in reports? Why would we ever initialize if we can create milestones instead?

Angel R.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources