Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  PureCloud Edge Standard v3 - iLo Management Interface (Baseboard Mgmt 1)

Posted 07-28-2020 15:03
    We would like to configure the iLo Management Interface (Baseboard Mgmt 1).

- Trying to assign IP address using Genesys cloud portal , but unable to access, not sure if there is any user manual to setup Baseboard Mgmt 1 Port ? and how to access.
    - I would like to know what are the advantages of this configuration (iLo)?
    - Would we then have control over the Edge remotely (turn it off, restart it, have an Console Acess...) ?
    - Can we setup email alerts to monitor Server health(RAID, temp, power supply )etc ?

Best regards,
    #ArchitectureandDesign
    #Implementation
    #PlatformAdministration
    #RemoteWorkEnablement
    #Security

------------------------------
    Muhammad Zubair
    Alberta Health Services

• 2.  RE: PureCloud Edge Standard v3 - iLo Management Interface (Baseboard Mgmt 1)

Posted 07-28-2020 19:29
    Hi Muhammad,

I wish you all the best with this setup and we'll closely monitor this post. Unfortunately, we didn't have any luck with iLO setup back in May/June. Below is the excerpt of our communication re this with Genesys Team and Customer Care. 

After initial excitement when we got iLO credentials did not last too long.  It seems iLO setup is going to be a long journey as we stumbled upon some rocks on our way. We have configured port Baseboard Mgmt1 with IP address. However, we are having issues as we are not able to ping it or open iLO page. Furthermore, after "hitting the wall" we asked for help. In the ticket we opened with Genesys  Customer Care we got the response to Google about it and/or reach out to HP support.

Below is our switch configuration (I masked address and the Description with NNNNs).

Ethernet1/14 is up

admin state is up, Dedicated Interface

Hardware: 10/100/1000 Ethernet, address: NNNN.NNNN.NNNN (bia NNNN.NNNN.NNNN)

Description: NNNNN-NNNNN-edge-iLO

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, medium is broadcast

Port mode is access

full-duplex, 1000 Mb/s

Long story short: We did everything at our end never got it working.
    Looking forward to seeing the possible outcome for your inquiry. 

Thanks,

Tatjana Knezevic
    Star Telecom

• 3.  RE: PureCloud Edge Standard v3 - iLo Management Interface (Baseboard Mgmt 1)

Posted 08-01-2020 01:30
    Hi Muhammad,

(see below regarding access before attempting these steps)

For the Edge Standard v3, if you want to manually assign an ip address, do so through the PureCloud/Genesys Cloud UI, save, and then shutdown the server and remove all power. When you plug it back in and it comes back up, you should be able to access the iLO via the web (make sure to use https). You can do so using the IP address you assigned. If you just want to use DHCP, you will still want to power down the server completely (no power plugged in) once you plug in a network cable to the iLO interface.

You will have to open a ticket with support and request the iLO credentials if you want to access the iLO. Once you do, you can reset the server via the iLO. We needed this functionality for a server in an offsite data center. There is a lot of information out there on using the iLO in general for HP servers, so I recommend just doing a quick search once you have access. The OS password is different than the iLO password, so while you can access the console from the iLO, you will not be able to log in.

Thanks,

Daniel McLeod
    Qsect LLC

• 4.  RE: PureCloud Edge Standard v3 - iLo Management Interface (Baseboard Mgmt 1)

Posted 06-02-2021 02:49
    Hi Daniel, resurrecting this somewhat.

What about accessing the Edge ILO via a direct LAN connection, or using the USB service port and a USB Ethernet adapter?  Would you still need to make any changes to the baseboard configuration within Genesys Cloud itself?  While it's set to DHCP as it won't find a DHCP/DNS server I assume it will end up with a 169. IP address by default?

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

• 5.  RE: PureCloud Edge Standard v3 - iLo Management Interface (Baseboard Mgmt 1)

Posted 04-04-2022 15:19
    Daniel-Any other ideas of how to connect to this iLO? I assigned a static IP to it, shut down the server, restarted the server, and tried to connect using  https://***.**.**.** and it just times out. My firewall team says it's not a problem on their side. There is a solid green light.

C Goodell

• 6.  RE: PureCloud Edge Standard v3 - iLo Management Interface (Baseboard Mgmt 1)

Posted 06-03-2021 05:03
    Hi Muhammad -

I spent ~8 years in Compaq's Server Division so was a little disappointed with the outcome of my investigations ... from Genesys Customer Care:
    - the short answer is 'NO'
    - the long answer is '"regrettably" NO'

You can get monitoring information such as CPU and network utilisation out of Genesys 'Metrics' widgets, but there is *NO* SNMP management available. The historical information on the Telephony Metrics dashboards can be captured using the API:

https://developer.mypurecloud.com/api/rest/v2/telephonyprovidersedge/index.html

Hardware alerts (CPU, RAM, disk, power supply failures and overheating) would still require OS / driver support and, unfortunately, the Edge image (based on generic flavor of Linux) is 'hardened'. Genesys have plans to provide a 'Bring Your Own Hardware' option, allowing a Windows- or Unix- based Edge image to be deployed onto your choice of server; then you would be able to take advantage of whatever the server vendor could provide.

We are actually looking at a 3rd party to provide a customer tool set, but it will still not be the perfect solution. Will share whatever detail we have once available.

Thanks and regards,
    Malcolm Green
    Nexon Asia Pacific

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources