Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Remote access to Voicemail

• 1.  Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 03-01-2021 16:51
    Has anyone come up with a solution to access voicemails remotely.  Over the phone.  The IoS and Android apps work and you can get a Email with a WAV attachment but our customer wants the ability to access their VM's over the phone remotely.  Thanks.
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Martin Bunting
    i3Vision Technologies Inc.

• 2.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 03-02-2021 00:45
    If you create a flow or a transfer off a menu with  "sip:*86@127.0.0.1;user=voicemailboxext", you should get the messaging like *86 and user will have to enter mailbox and password.  

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

• 3.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 03-02-2021 01:30
    I saw this from an earlier post and someone mentioned that it wasn't working.  I inserted "sip:*86@127.0.0.1;user=voicemailboxext" into a call flow, transfer to number and it works great.   Thanks.

Martin Bunting

• 4.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

GENESYS
    Posted 03-02-2021 15:00
    Hi @Martin Bunting and @Robert Wakefield-Carl - I wanted to chime in here because this feature idea is moderately voted on the Product Ideas portal (https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/PCV-I-62) and something we've started early discussions on.  I was not aware of this approach, and I just tested it myself and agree it does work to some degree.  However, a few things I found which should be noted:

1 (main issue) - user's VM pins do not seem to be enforced with this approach.  That may be a bug, or due to some other underlying reason.  But it is potentially a security issue so at this time I would NOT recommend this approach.

2 - users must have an extension - I've not found a way to get into the voicemail box on just DID alone.  Maybe there is a way that I haven't found yet though.

I could see this becoming the 'officially​' supported route, if we fix the VM pin issue (and do a better job letting users know to set the VM pin initially on account creation or onboarding) and allow dialing DIDs directly (vs just extensions).

Let me know any feedback please!  Thanks as always for your creative approaches to solving problems :)

trey buck
    Genesys - Employees
    Senior Product Manager

• 5.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 03-02-2021 15:17
    As there are other ways of retrieving Voicemails, the apps, email with .wav attachment is most likely the reason this request is moderately voted on.  As our customer is coming from PureConnect this is one of those features they used and expect Genesys Cloud to support.  Call Park is another UC feature missing.  I agree that the lack of Pin enforcement is concerning but I don't see having an extension being a big issue.  I would like to see this as a selectable option in Architect at some point.  Trey, thanks for following up and to Robert for providing the unofficial solution.

Martin Bunting

• 6.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 03-02-2021 22:00
    Thank you both for monitoring and replying!  Yes, this works but as you said, not something that was probably ever tested and that may indeed be a bug.  Better let the PM know ;>).  As for functionality, as we see more and more legacy phone systems go away or more likely fall apart, the need for basic PBX functionality is required by Genesys Cloud.  We can't suggest 8x8 or Ring Central as they will bring in the competition.  We can't really suggest Teams as it has its own issues with this.  Genesys needs to look at what Connect offered in this area and make a concerted effort to replicate those features and listen to the retail and banking customers that require things like shared line appearances, phone login, and park/page functionality.  

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com

• 7.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 10-30-2023 06:27

@Robert Wakefield-Carl - has there been any development on accessing VM from the app ?.  I have just tried the Broadcast ring and didn't answer the call on purpose to test VM functionality. I can see the call on the communicate app with the VM icon next to it however when i call the number it says it is not possible to reach the VM message. Is a call flow still required with the sip address as outlined above still required or is there another solution ?.

richard craig
    British Telecommunications PLC

• 8.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 04-12-2021 18:31
    Trey - I just tested and seems it is asking me enter my VM pin.

Did we fixed something ?
    Can we consider this to be an ongoing approach ?

Thanks,
    Anurag Gusain

• 9.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 12-01-2021 16:18
    Martin - 

I tried using the above for group mail box but when I passed the extension it prompted me that group voicemail box retrieval is not accessible from this user. 

Can you please tell me how can I use the same to access group voicemail box.

Same is working if I am passing my extension followed by my pin

Thanks,
    Anurag Gusain

• 10.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 04-12-2021 18:04
    Robert - This is really an awesome solution and is working as expected.  I have one doubt if you can help me in clarifying it.

We are using *sip:*86@127.0.0.1;user=voicemailboxext in transfer to number block but no where we are defining our Regions.

How it decides that it needs to look for the number within our region. I mean can any other organization within USW can dial the mapped DID and use there extension to retrieve their voice mail or if it is limited to same organization, how it is managing it

Thanks,
    Anurag Gusain

• 11.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 04-12-2021 18:33
    HI Anurag

I'm wondering if that localhost IP - 127.0.0.1 is what's doing it.  My guess is that essentially sends the call to the same Edge that's already handling the call and therefore it's only going to search for extensions/voicemailboxext within the current organisation associated/paired with that Edge.

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

• 12.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 10-30-2023 13:18

I just use *86 to reach VM from the Communicate App.

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    ttec Digital
    Sr. Director - Innovation Architects
    Robert.WC@ttecdigital.com
    https://www.ttecDigital.com

• 13.  RE: Remote access to Voicemail

Posted 10-30-2023 13:55

been prompted for an extension number. I have applied a DID as required and tried the last 4 digits of that but it is denied. Where would i find the extension number or apply one ?.

richard craig
    British Telecommunications PLC

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources