Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

• 1.  Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 06-09-2021 17:05
    I have a 2 hardward edge and I want to move them to virtual edge and in the tests they have not been satisfactory, could you please help me with this change of edge devices. Or if we have a documentation of edge changes it would be very good.

Thanks and regards
    #SIP/VolP
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Jovan Paixao
    Genesys - Employees

• 2.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge
    Best Answer

Posted 06-12-2021 15:58
    The current Virtual Edge is not designed for production or for large traffic.  If you read through all the warnings Virtual Edge warnings - Genesys Cloud Resource Center (mypurecloud.com), you will see why people don't use virtual edges. 

Genesys is working on a "recipe" to allow you to build your own Edge servers that should be out sometime this year but may not support virtualization.

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

• 3.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

Posted 06-12-2021 17:32
    I agree with Robert around the unlikelihood of any additional virtualising options coming out.  A large number of us had tried to get Genesys to support VMWare to leverage what a lot of our customers have already invested in but that idea went nowhere. 

Genesys' focus is on BYOC Cloud and the hardware recipe Robert's mentioned so it's extremely unlikely that there'll be any improvement or enhancements coming out for Virtual Edges.

We had looked into Virtual Edges for a customer a year or so back, only because it potentially would have sped up the Covid rapid deployment but ultimately having physical Edges in this environment has proven to be the better decision for their needs.

Jovan, just curious, can you please tell me exactly what your architecture is for your Virtual Edges?  Genesys only supports HyperV but I've heard talk of some people trying to install HyperV under a top VMWare layer.  That nested approach would cause problems.

My takeaway from looking into all of this last year is that Virtual Edges are okay for a test/lab environment but not much more.

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

• 4.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 06-16-2021 12:02
    Thanks for your answer

They are Physical Edge for AWS Edge, where they will live in the same organization until they are fully migrated.

Jovan Paixao
    Genesys - Employees

• 5.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 06-14-2021 04:30
    The Edge "recipe" will indeed not support virtualization. Genesys will provide an image that can be downloaded and installed directly onto tightly prescribed hardware, very much identical to the hardware of the current Edges. The main goal of the "recipe" approach is to take away the hassle of international shipping of the current hardware Edges.

Peter Grothauzen
    Genesys - Employees

• 6.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

Posted 06-14-2021 14:53
    Thank you, Peter for the confirmation.  I try to preach that VMs are not fit for Edge devices all over the place, but I get people that insist that it is totally possible.  Perhaps one day we can just spin up a VM and not have to worry about all the CPUs, GPUs, RAM, and Ethernet connections, but for now, it requires so much on a VM, you may as well have a dedicated server.

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

• 7.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

Posted 03-03-2022 08:17
    Since we want to install the EDGE software on the purchased customer hardware soon, I would like to know if the installation is done directly on the system or on an additional operating system (Windows, RHEL etc) to be purchased.

Andreas Pfaff
    NTT Germany AG & Co. KG

• 8.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 03-03-2022 08:58

The image that Genesys provides is installed directly onto the hardware, you do not need to purchase or install an operating system.

https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/about-byoc-premises-customer-hardware-solution/

Peter Grothauzen
    Genesys - Employees

• 9.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

Posted 11-06-2022 04:57
    @Peter Grothauzen Being considered that deploying a virtual edge in production environment is not supported by Genesys, also the shared hardware with specific models may be hard to find in our market, so, will providing higher server model will be supported or not?

Moataz Lasheen
    IST Integration Services And Technologies Co.

• 10.  RE: Switch from Hardware Edge to Virtual Edge

GENESYS
    Posted 11-07-2022 12:35
    Hi @Moataz Lasheen

​Just to be sure all readers are on the same page, we are now talking about the Customer provided Hardware Solution (not the premise Virtual Edge). https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/about-byoc-premises-customer-hardware-solution/

We have indeed received signals that some HPE hardware components have longer delivery times than desirable in some regions. Our product management is working to specify and allow a broader range of compatible HPE hardware to help mitigate the current hardware shortages. Please keep an eye on the release notes to learn when this will go in effect. Until then, we only support the BOM as specified on the resource center.

Peter Grothauzen
    Genesys - Employees

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources