Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  WFM - Business Units - Time Zone Setting

Posted 06-29-2020 16:53
    Hi, despite the available documentation, I would like to clarify what would be the scenario in which I should create more than one business unit, taking into account that it's an org with several queues, all of them under the org's umbrella, each of them may have its own supervisor but a couple of people will have access to supervise all of them as a whole.
    I see in the business unit configuration the setting "Time Zone", I wonder if to have agents in several time zones would be a reason to have more than one business unit otherwise there would be schedule conflicts or something like that?

Thanks.
    #PlatformAdministration
    #SystemAdministration
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Henry Zambrano
    Powernet Global Telecommunications

• 2.  RE: WFM - Business Units - Time Zone Setting

Posted 06-30-2020 02:14
    Hi Henry

In workforce management, business units enable customers to organize their agents and leverage permissions to meet business needs. Business units allow customers to configure agents who share queues into more than one management unit. The agent capacity for management unit is 1,500 agents; however, business units help alleviate this limitation by providing support for 5,000 agents. Companies can organize management units based on local management, permission requirements, and more. 

In addition to creating forecasts and schedules across multiple management units within the same business unit, administrators can configure divisions at both the business unit level (for forecasting and scheduling) and the individual management unit level (for view and edit scheduling capabilities) when agents who handle similar queues should be split under different managers in different management units.

Some examples of the feature benefits include site level management at different physical sites, different virtual managers for virtual agent groups, or groups of agents managed by a partner or outsourcer who share queues as in-house employees but have different management and work plan definitions. 

Hope the above helps.

Gareth James
    CALLSCAN AUSTRALIA PTY. LTD.

• 3.  RE: WFM - Business Units - Time Zone Setting

Posted 06-30-2020 17:24
    Sure, thank you Gareth.

Henry Zambrano

• 4.  RE: WFM - Business Units - Time Zone Setting

GENESYS
    Posted 06-30-2020 15:47
    Edited by Jay Langsford 06-30-2020 15:48
    There is no reason for a time zone difference to require separate business units. It is fine for the business unit and some agents to have one time zone and another set of agents in the same business unit to be on a second time zone, with a third set of agents in a third time zone. The only caveat to this approach is that if daylight saving time is different across the time zones (e.g., one time zone honors it with a 60m bias, another doesn't honor daylight saving time) in which case, at most and worst-case, you _might_ need to adjust work plans for some agents (this depends if you want their shift start times to move/stay in respect to the business unit's time zone or move/stay in respect to a different time zone).

Main thing on business units is that you do not want to split up shared load (interaction volume) and resources (agents) across business units. If you split shared load and resources across more than one business unit, then you would have to, on a scheduling period basis, manually adjust forecasts and scheduling would still be largely blind to unknown agents working interactions forecast for the BU and potentially the other way where BU agents would unknowingly work interactions for another BU.

Business units are largely there for you to logically group load and resources - by site, by line of business, etc.

Jay Langsford
    Senior Director, Workforce Optimization Engineering

• 5.  RE: WFM - Business Units - Time Zone Setting

Posted 06-30-2020 17:25

Thank you Jay for this explanation, very useful. I had doubts because of the Time Zone setting in the BU but now I'm clear there's no need to do that.

We have some agents sharing queues in Illinois (CST) and some of them in Florida (EST), so if the DST is not a problem (same 60 min bias), an according to what you said, I wouldn't even need a different Management Unit which is where I define the work plans/shifts?

My concern is when defining shifts, let's say there's a shift that starts at 8 AM based on Eastern Time which is actually 7 AM CST. I want to make sure we are not going to have conflicts or wrong schedules because bad shift start time definitions. If we schedule 2 agents for starting at 8 AM EST, the agent in EST should see in his schedule 8 AM but the agent in CST should see 7 AM.

I was thinking of defining 2 different MU, one for Illinois and another for Florida and in each of them define the correct/equivalent start times for shifts in their Work Plans. But now I'm not sure if I don't even need to create a different MU.

Thanks.

Henry Zambrano

• 6.  RE: WFM - Business Units - Time Zone Setting
    Best Answer

GENESYS
    Posted 07-01-2020 08:27
    For work plans, since their times are based on the business unit's time zone, the start time would just need to be the equivalent time in the business unit that correlates to the time you want for the agent's time zone. 

Business unit: EST
    Agent Angie: CST
    Desired shift start for Angie: 9am CST; 10am EST
    Configured shift start for Angie in the work plan: 10am (EST)
    Shift start time seen by Angie in her time zone: 9am (CST)

Might be good to look at what is configured at the MU-level and to see how you could separate out permissions by MU. If you don't need to vary the MU-level configurations or separate out permissions across Illinois or Florida, then you may not need separate MUs.

Jay Langsford
    Senior Director, Workforce Optimization Engineering

• 7.  RE: WFM - Business Units - Time Zone Setting

Posted 07-01-2020 12:37
    Thank you Jay!

Henry Zambrano

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources