Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Serious agent abuse vector/bug

• 1.  Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-17-2021 14:44

Howdy all,

I'm unsure what the proper topics for this are as it's my first post, so apologies of those aren't correct.

Last week my IT group was notified that an agent was on queue/idle but not receiving calls while other agents in their workgroup with the same setup were taking calls. After opening a trouble ticket, the Genesys agent informed me that this was because the agent had deselected their phone, so while calls were being routed to the agent, they were silently failing and going to the next agent.

I tested this and, sure enough, not only can an agent have no phone selected, ignore the warning for not having a phone selected, and go on queue for a queue that has ONLY VOICE as its media type, but they can and will be routed calls. When routed calls, there's no obvious indicator to anything/anyone else in Genesys that the call has silently failed due to lack of proper media, and even more shockingly, the agent is left in a routable state for that same media type that just failed. Even worse, agents can go on queue with a phone selected, and then at any time unselect the phone without their presence/status changing or routing failing or being put into a not responding state or anything.

I stressed to the Genesys support agent how easy this would be for an agent to exploit and asked what the solution was - could we disable an agent's ability to deselect a phone? Could we get a report when an agent deselects a phone? Could we have them put into a non-routable/not responding state if they deselect a phone when they're supposed to be on queue for calls? The answer to everything was essentially no.

Now that we know this is possible and are watching for it, we're seeing daily instances of it, but given there's no customer facing logs or alerts that we can look at (thanks Genesys!) it's hard to verify if this is happening unless a supervisor suspects it, opens an IT ticket where we can visually check if the specific agent is on queue without a phone showing as registered to them, and then open a ticket with Genesys to check if the agent manually deselected the phone.

Firstly, I'm hopeful someone at Genesys who has more authority than the support agent can review and see if something is being missed, or at least understand how terrible this is to have as a default setting with no logging/reporting or ability to change it on a per org basis. Secondly, I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on how they've overcome this so their agents aren't actively exploiting this bug. 

Thanks,

#QualityManagement
    #SystemAdministration
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Duncan Maloch
    Sonic.net

• 2.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-20-2021 10:39
    Good morning,

Have you submitted something to the ideas lab to add a feature to prevent this? I'd upvote it. I will notify our managers to see if our CS is seeing any similar issues.

Thank you

Eric Allen
    Vervent, Inc.

• 3.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-20-2021 10:42
    Hello,

I actually found that someone submitted something similar to the ideas lab. https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/INB-I-497

Thank you,

Eric

Eric Allen
    Vervent, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-21-2021 08:43
    That post is two years old and Genesys hasn't done anything to fix it. We need an alternative. This is a ridiculous hole to have with no recriminations other than "upvote an idea post."

Duncan Maloch
    Sonic.net

• 5.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug
    Best Answer

Posted 12-21-2021 10:49

duncan, from the queues activity tab when you have the view with the waiting calls and interactions at your left and the agents on the queue at your right, you do have a way to check if the agents have the phone selected or not. 

you need to have the table column "station" selected and if you see a red crossed with a line phone icon that agent has no phone selected.

i did voted on this idea because we noticed the same issue: https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/TEL-I-200

Mariano Martinez
    Interaxa S.A.

• 6.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-21-2021 11:03
    Thank you for that @Mariano Martinez ! I'll pass this along to our call center managers. @Eric Allen hopefully this works for your folks as well if you're seeing issues.

​​​

Duncan Maloch
    Sonic.net

• 7.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-21-2021 11:06
    @Duncan Maloch Also, what about reporting? Genesys does track an agent's Alert-No Answer and No Responses. I know it's not real-time but it could give you an idea of repeat offenders to evaluate their performance. We have not created a report yet in PowerBI because this is a new revelation to us, but I do see a not_reponding_count is available from the Queue_agent_details table.

Thank you,

Eric

Eric Allen
    Vervent, Inc.

• 8.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-21-2021 11:11
    From what I can tell and from what the Genesys support rep told me, that isn't an option because they aren't put into a not responding state. The call silently fails due to a lack of required media type (the phone) and the agent doesn't have any status change to their state/presence. 

One of our devs is currently working on looking at API info to see if they can make a reporting script for the agent lacking the attached media type which will most likely reproduce the info Mariano pointed out above. 

Thanks for both of your responses, hopefully Genesys realizes this is exploitable and at least gives us the option to disable phone agents from being in queues without a phone...

Duncan Maloch
    Sonic.net

• 9.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-22-2021 08:59
    Following....

This is crazy that the only way to fix this is with an ideas lab?? How can that be?
    This is a serious flaw in their programming that should have a media type assigned check before routing a call, but since it's a "small group" of people that do it ( deliberately or not) it's not a big deal?

Squeaky wheel get the oil, so I'm voting ​

Monique
    System Administrator
    Messer LLC

• 10.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-22-2021 10:52
    Hey Monique, 

Agreed that this is pretty crazy to have multiple Genesys people treat it like a non-issue with no obvious solution. One of our devs was able to write a script that will check at your desired interval and report users who are scheduled to be on queue in WFM and are on but missing a phone and can have it post an adaptive card to a Teams channel alerting folks. If you're interested in some or all of this (or if anyone else is) we're happy to share.

Duncan Maloch
    Sonic.net

• 11.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 01-06-2022 11:05
    Maybe Genesys could make the phone auto-logoff after 30 seconds if the phone was De-Selected.

Derbe Dike
    The Chamberlain Group, Inc.

• 12.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-22-2021 10:57
    Thanks for the heads up.  Def a hole that needs to be closed.

Pol Buckingham
    f'real foods llc

• 13.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-22-2021 12:34
    One of the many holes, I just want emails to have auto answer..black hole.

You would think if you set the phone as default it would get on there and not be removed, I havent come across this yet, but I do monitor on queue activity to see red phones

Andy Jackson
    Ten Lifestyle Management Limited

• 14.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 12-27-2021 10:42
    we'd been asking for autoanswer to all media channels with no luck, almost two years with no response.
    according to the last webinar was in testing but ...

Mariano Martinez
    Interaxa S.A.

• 15.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 01-05-2022 10:44
    I've had a ticket open with Genesys support on this for almost a month now and even after escalating and repeatedly pointing out the core issue, I'm just receiving the same answer - there's no way to prevent this, check the column for whether an agent has a phone or not (reactive) and that if we want to do anything else we need to submit a feature request. Pointing out routing media types to agents who can't accept the routed media type and do not have their status change when these fail (like every other failed routing interaction does already) is falling on deaf ears.

We've got a slightly better reactive script running that's checking for agents missing media type and sending out a Teams card, which while not a fix, at least is better than telling supervisors/managers that they need to stare at a column all day to try and catch this. We're learning that this is pretty much our new life with Genesys - do it ourselves if we want something done/fixed, so I suspect this is where we'll leave it.

Duncan Maloch
    Sonic.net

• 16.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 01-05-2022 15:13
    Hi Duncan, would your dev be willing to share this script and how it actually plugs into Teams?

Vaun McCarthy

• 17.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 01-06-2022 08:51
    Yes of course. As soon as I've got the code I'll post it for all.

Duncan Maloch
    Sonic.net

• 18.  RE: Serious agent abuse vector/bug

Posted 01-06-2022 12:09
      |   view attached
    @Vaun McCarthy Attached is the Python script for this. It's using the Teams incoming webhook to post adaptive cards to the relevant Teams channels for each group of agents and their managers. My dev who wrote this is currently OoO but if you have questions I can alert them to respond back once they're in.

Thanks​​

Duncan Maloch
    Sonic.net

Attachment(s)

txt
    station_checker.txt   7 KB 1 version

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources