Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  SMTP Relay Connector and Port 25

Posted 10-20-2020 12:57
    Hello,
    We are wanting to be able to send outbound emails from PureCloud using our own domain.  We use Microsoft O365 with Multi Factor Authentication.
    We are following these instructions from Microsoft - which shows 3 options:

How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Microsoft 365 or Office 365

We are having an issue getting this to work because per the O365 documentation, we have to use port 25.  But Genesys will not allow port 25 evidently.  When configuring an email address on our own domain - to use SMTP server for sending outbound emails, there is a note in the Email settings that says:  
    Port 587 or 465 is recommended for firewall reasons.  If another port must be used, please contact Customer Care.

I've opened up a request for Genesys to allow 25 for our organization but am having a lot of trouble getting them to take action.  In my opinion, this is a standard feature that they advertise, and if we have to use port 25 because of MFA and O365, then Genesys should allow it without having to go through the development ops team.

So, my questions are:
    1. Are any of you using your organization's SMTP server for sending outbound emails with Microsoft O365? 
    2. Are you using port 25?
    3. How did you get Genesys to allow port 25 for your org?
    4. If Genesys didn't authorize port 25, how did you get it to work?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer!
    Thanks

#ArchitectureandDesign
    #DigitalChannels
    #Omni-ChannelDesktop/UserInterface

------------------------------
    Brenda Wynne
    Alcon Vision LLC

• 2.  RE: SMTP Relay Connector and Port 25

Posted 10-20-2020 19:55
    Are you using a subdomain or a domain and updating the MX records so that all email goes to Genesys Cloud? I'm sure you have reasons to use the SMTP relay but wanted to check if you've explored all options.

We've used email forwarding. Most businesses already have an email like say support@acme.com which they'd like to go to Genesys Cloud and other email addresses like bob@acme.com that they still want to go to their exchange server.

With email forwarding the emails come into Genesys Cloud and go out via a built in Amazon email server. You can easy add TXT records to confirm ownership of a domain and DKIM and it's pretty flawless.

Paul Dittrich
    Aria Solutions

• 3.  RE: SMTP Relay Connector and Port 25

Posted 10-21-2020 11:09
    We are able to get email to PureCloud - we are wanting to send OUTBOUND emails from PureCloud using our own domain name.

Brenda Wynne
    Alcon Vision LLC

• 4.  RE: SMTP Relay Connector and Port 25

Posted 10-21-2020 11:21
    Hi Brenda,

This is what we have done several times with good results. https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/register-domain-redirect-inbound-messages/ 

Purecloud sends out emails using their Amazon Mail server on our behalf. First you need to verify you own the domain by adding a TXT record. No need to ask for ports to be opened up.

Paul Dittrich
    Aria Solutions

• 5.  RE: SMTP Relay Connector and Port 25

Posted 10-21-2020 14:19
      |   view attached
    We are not doing a custom configuration using AWS SMTP servers.  We want to use our own SMTP servres to send emails.  I'm attaching a screen shot of what I'm referring to - it is the settings on the right side of the screen.   The system shows a message that "Port 587 or 465 is recommended for firewall reasons.  If another port must be used, please contact Customer Care."  We have to use Port 25 because we follow Microsoft's  "best recommended practice"

wherever possible.  Thus, we currently offer "Option 3" for cloud-based relay through our tenant.   But when I contacted Customer Care, so far they have not agreed to let us use Port 25.  This is a HUGE problem for our organization, and so I'm trying to find out if Genesys has ever authorized Port 25 for anyone.  

Brenda Wynne
    Alcon Vision LLC

• 6.  RE: SMTP Relay Connector and Port 25

Posted 10-21-2020 14:26
    Ah I hear you. I don't have experience with the custom SMTP server. From your screenshot I suspect you may also need to configure an MX record but that doesn't relate to your port issue. I would continue to update the ticket and try to understand if they can let you use port 25 or not. You should have a Sales contact at Genesys that you could also try to have escalate the issue.

Cheers

Paul Dittrich
    Aria Solutions

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources