Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

WAH Bandwidth

• 1.  WAH Bandwidth

GENESYS
    Posted 03-18-2020 12:09
    So...has anyone done the testing/study and figured out what good numbers are for minimum Up/Down bandwidth for a WAH agent usin a WebRTC phone and Genesys Cloud client? 

I realize Opus is variable bandwidth, so looking for minimum viable for good voice quality. No screen recording.

I know...odd question. I'm looking for real-world experience, rather than just test data.​​
    #ArchitectureandDesign
    #Implementation
    #SIP/VolP
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    George Ganahl GCP (Genesys Cloud), ICCE
    Principal Technology Consultant
    Genesys

• 2.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-18-2020 13:04
    What we've found is based on the agent tools and application we are using along with PureCloud and WebRTC, anything 10Mbps download speed and above works .  Anything below we have problems with voice quality where it becomes choppy and robotic.  Also we have screen recording as well so the bandwidth requirement might be larger if screen recording is not activated.

Rico Cornelio
    Working Assets Funding Service, Inc. on behalf of itself and its affiliate, Credo Mobile, Inc.

• 3.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-18-2020 14:27
    I am at home and just tested.  With nothing else going on, it was consuming 104 kbps.  When I fired up a youtube and a webinar on GotoMeeting, that same service consumed around 30 kbps.  It was variable and moved above and below that amount.

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

• 4.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-19-2020 09:59
    Our center is a 100% virtual and has been for 3 years on PureCloud/Genesys Cloud. 

I had one employee that could only get 5mb down from their provider and ran into a lot of jitter issues with voice. The lowest I have right now is someone on a 20 mb service and they have zero quality issues, even internally when we do video chatting over the platform for coaching. So, somewhere between 5 and 20,

Aaron Shirley
    Baker College

• 5.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-19-2020 10:10
    Way too many variables to provide a single number for all situations.  For instance, my 80 MB down can fluctuate between 20 and 100.  Throw in having 4 kids at home all doing online classes and I am lucky to havr a decent phone call much less video conference.

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

• 6.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

GENESYS
    Posted 03-19-2020 10:16
    Yep. I think that customers will have to get used to the idea of poor call quality when talking to agents during this crisis. Not that they will be understanding at first, but hopefully will come to accept the new norm as agents move home.

Genesys

• 7.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

GENESYS
    Posted 03-19-2020 10:19
    Edited by George Ganahl 03-19-2020 10:20
    Here is some info I got from various places, including my own brief testing:

The bandwidth requirements are almost the same as the bandwidth requirement for opus and vp8. Real time audio typically has a bitrate of 40-200kbit/s. Video requires at least 200 kbit/s (500kbit/s if you want to see people's faces). According to webrtc-experiment the minimum bandwidth for opus is 6kbit/s and for vp8 100kbits/s. So in total that makes 106kbit/s but when you account for the overhead of the webrtc protocol stack and constantly varying network conditions I would guess that 200kbit/s is the minimum if one wants stable video and audio. Chrome and Firefox both use opus and vp8 so the bandwidth requirements should be the same. Although I don't have any hard data to prove it. You can see the current traffic generated by webrtc by going to chrome://webrtc-internals and inspecting all the charts

-

PerfMon gives a better idea of what is going on. The chrome://webrtc-internals link does not track chats or emails

In PerfMon, on a WebRTC call where there is two-way audio, I saw a spike at 336Kbps for upload speed on my interface, and 3.2Mbps for download on a WebRTC call (though that cannot have been the call alone).

I sent an email to queue with an 11MB attachment, and it hit 8.4Mbps on the download side. A chat spiked at 632Kbps on the upload side, looks like, though I can't say for sure it was just the chat.

Genesys

• 8.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-20-2020 11:54
    We have very recently moved most of our agents to a remote configuration but it's not exactly what the original posting asked because we the PureCloud softphone (which I don't believe is WebRTC) while connected to our on-premises systems (and Edges) via VPN.
    Most agents report similar bandwidth as above (5-15 Mbps up & down via speedtest.net) and call quality has been OK for the most part.

While monitoring interactions we do see some strange MOS scores.  Most interactions are above 4 but occasionally we see an interaction with a MOS score of 1.0.  Strangely, the call recording sounds fine and neither the agent nor the customer reports bad audio quality.
    I believe that MOS score is a minimum along all the segments of the entire interaction so we're assuming that the score drops somewhere other than the "interacting" segments.
    Does that make sense? or should we create a ticket with support?

Jason Rogers
    Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan

• 9.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-20-2020 20:18
    Edited by Paulo Mesquita do not use 03-20-2020 20:19
    Hi George,

I think that each customer has different requirements, we should consider that when agents are working from home they also need to use email, CRM, Google... and at home, agents also have other devices sharing the same wireless connection.

I´ve tested WebRTC using the bandwidth control on my modem and these are the results:

Upload and download limited at 1 Mbps = No voice issues, MOS score 3.8 (Which is good)

Upload and download limited at 500 Kbps = No voice issues, however the MOS score is 1.0.

More important than bandwidth is a stable connection (low latency, no jitter, no packet loss).

Paulo Mesquita
    Spark NZ Trading

• 10.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-20-2020 20:24
    Hi @Jasonrogers Rogers

Please have a look at the edge release notes page.
    https://help.mypurecloud.com/edge-media-tier-release-notes/

A new firmware code will be released tonight and it has an improvement for the MOS score calculation:

"4.Resolved MOS scoring issue that caused low scores in good call quality conditions."
    ​​

Paulo Mesquita
    Spark NZ Trading

• 11.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-23-2020 08:15
    I'm not seeing the new Firmware.   What do I need to do to get the new firmware so I can update all of mt edge devices?   DP I need to open a ticket with support?

Todd Smith
    Envision Pharmaceutical Services, LLC

• 12.  RE: WAH Bandwidth

Posted 03-23-2020 18:11
    There was a delay, but it was published today.

Paulo Mesquita
    Spark NZ Trading

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources