Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

GENESYS
    Posted 01-14-2022 11:56
    Hey Everyone,

The Q&A Show will be coming out of its holiday hibernation, and we've got a hot episode on our hands. All I need to know is what questions do you have about EWT Calculations?

Our season premier's topic was handpicked by @Anton Vroon​. If you follow the Genesys Casual Community, you'll see where Anton took me to task playing Brick Breaker in the AppFoundry, and his prize was picking this episode's topic - EWT Calculations.

It took me a little while to find the right experts, but I've got some great guys joining for the recording and we'd love to hear what you want to hear about. To submit a question for our experts, reply to this discussion or email GenesysCommunity@Genesys.com. You have until next Thursday (1/20/22) to get your questions in.

Hope everyone is having a great start to the new year and more announcements to come.

Cheers!

Matt
    #GenesysCloudCXQAEpisode

------------------------------
    Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 2.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

Top 25 Contributor
    Posted 01-17-2022 21:33
    Edited by Anton Vroon 01-17-2022 21:43
    Here is my lengthy list all based from the documentation which has a lot in there to wrap your head around.
    https://developer.genesys.cloud/api/rest/v2/routing/estimatedwaittime-v2#methods-of-calculating-ewt

Cached Calls

What number of calls that are considered for the cached calls?
    Cached calls criteria, ie are all completed calls eligible for selection?
    is it the last x calls, or the last x calls +/- a few minutes?
    How often does it cache calls.

Call Priority
    • Some companies priorities international calls for example as this costs customers international calling fees, so they want to get those calls answered faster to save the customer cost of doing business with them, calls go to the same queue as national calls as same staff same skills same departments dealing with those types calls.
    • Other companies priorities calls for business reasons, perceived or actual high value calls, like reporting Fraud, or VIP customers, or high return calls.
    • Or some priorities internal calls so the customer doesn't have to wait all over again when transferred.
    • And some have a mix of all of those.
    However since the EWT assumes all future calls will be at the end of the queue, how does this call prioritization impact the EWT calculation, and what are some options and best practice for mitigating this. Eg is it best practice to have separate queues for any prioritized calls despite resulting in duplicate queues, or having big general queues for cases like the international callers.

AHT
    What happens with staff who leave interactions open when the go on break/lunch... Their completed interaction will have inflated AHT - And yes staff shouldn't be doing this, but people will be people.
    What, behaviors like that or other practices, settings, can really impact the EWT calculation to watch out for?

UpperEWT and LowerEWT
    Can we get an explanation from a non statistician point of view how these are calculated, why its used and the impact to the final result.
    How many calls are considered here, is it the same as above, or a subset of those calls, or a fresh cache?
    Some calls due to priority for example might be completed faster than most other calls so lower AWT, but if you get a small group of these in a row, then the next call might hit the lower quartile bound and a LowerEWT will be used which might not be accurate for the current call.
    What are some other common scenarios o watch out for that will get calls evaluated at the lower and upper quartiles, and is there any suggestions for mitigating them.

General
    How much does staff going Off Queue for breaks/meetings etc impact the EWT calculation compared to what might actually be expected.
    Does the EWT value in Architect or from the API update as the call spends more time in Q or does it remain static, calculated only once for each call.
    When using the EWT variable in Architect, is it using
    GET /api/v2/routing/queues/{queueId}/mediatypes/{mediaType}/estimatedwaittime
    or
    GET /api/v2/routing/queues/{queueId}/estimatedwaittime?conversationId={conversationId}

Anton Vroon

• 3.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

Posted 01-17-2022 23:55
    Two of the biggest ask are how callbacks and outbound dialing affect EWT.  An adjunct would be what part of the callback is considered in the EWT calculation?

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

• 4.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

GENESYS
    Posted 01-18-2022 09:54
    Thanks, @Anton Vroon and @Robert Wakefield-Carl! I'll float these questions by the team. If anyone else has questions, feel free to keep posting. We don't record until Friday and that's with weather pending.

​​

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 5.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

Top 25 Contributor
    Posted 01-18-2022 15:52
    Edited by Anton Vroon 01-19-2022 20:48
    I do have one more only because I feel like I've gone down a rabbit hole while reading through the documentation and I'm now getting myself confused.

And its to do with these calculations
    EWT = PredictedAHT * PositionInQueue / NumberOfAgents
    AdjustedAHT = (AWT * NumberOfAgents) / PositionInQueue
    My understanding is Predicted AHT is the adjusted mean of adjustedAHT

So if I plug in AdjustedAHT calculation for PredictedAHT I get
    EWT = ((AWT * NumberOfAgents) / PositionInQueue) * (PositionInQueue / NumberOfAgents)
    And then through a bit of basic algebra, we see that PositioninQueue is divided and multiplied canceling themselves out (X*2/2 = X), same with the NumberOfAgents, leaving us with EWT = AWT
    So just looking for some explanation on the calculation, and what I am missing.

Specifically this part seems to be problematic
    AdjustedAHT = (AWT * NumberOfAgents) / PositionInQueue
    This means the more Calls in Q I have the lower the the AHT is, and the more agents I have the higher the AHT is. That doesn't seem to make intuitive sense to me. 

I like to create a excel sheet with all the variables so I can see if the only thing I change is AHT then EWT will increase/decrease by this much, but struggling to come up with something like that from what I understand so far. I understand we can't get those internal calculations, which is a shame, so just trying to use what I have at hand, which just might not be possible?

Anton Vroon

• 6.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

Posted 01-18-2022 21:42
    The old method before I worked with the developers took into account the last 2 weeks of data to determine EWT.  The new one does both backwards and forwards on the data.  Exactly how much data is taken into account with the new EWT method?

Should there be any difference between an API that reads the EWT from the queue and the tool in the In-queue flow?  Are they accessing the exact same data with no delay?

What is the main factor for the EWT being off by minutes (as much as 45-60 minutes) either way?

What of the following factors affect EWT and why?
    1. Skills
    2. Bullseye Routing
    3. Agents in multiple queues
    4. Interaction priorities

Are there plans to have an AI that looks at EWT on calls and the actual wait time to adjust the EWT to better match the actual over time?  As this would be different for each customer, the AI would have to only look at individual customer stats.  

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

• 7.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

Posted 01-19-2022 03:45
    Hi all

How accurate will EWT be if you have agents working multiple queues? Is it clever enough to just focus on the agent/call activity relating to that single queue and ignore what the same agent is doing on their other queues?

Thanks
    Caroline

Caroline Wilson
    Bupa Insurance Services Limited

• 8.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

Posted 01-19-2022 04:35
    Would it be possible to calculate the EWT only based on the last half or full hour? As this is usually fluctuating quite strongly or is there another 'value' to use?

Ruud Reinold
    BNP Paribas Personal Finance UK

• 9.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

GENESYS
    Posted 01-21-2022 12:15
    Alright everyone! This episode is in the can or igloo or ice box or cooler, whatever makes the most sense on this snowy day. Hope to have the episode published for you all next week!

Cheers and stay warm!

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 10.  RE: EWT Calculations - What Questions Do You Have?

GENESYS
    Posted 01-27-2022 14:26
    Hey Everyone,

Wanted to let you know that we got to answer some EWT questions from all of you! Thanks so much for sending them in Anton, @Robert Wakefield-Carl, @Caroline Wilson, and @Rudy Christoph! The episode is long, but we start answering your questions around the 26-minute mark!

Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to answer all of the questions (there were enough to fill two episodes), but our experts will be back. 

Cheers!

Matt​​

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources