Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Prioritize Live Calls over Call Backs

Posted 09-09-2020 11:57

In our call flows we give customers the option to receive a callback within the in-queue call flow.  This causes the call backs to sometimes route to users even when a customer is actively calling the queue.   

Is there a way to set a priority for live calls to be routed to users before callbacks?  

#Routing(ACD/IVR)

------------------------------
    Thomas Ivy
    ZenPayroll, Inc., dba Gusto

• 2.  RE: Prioritize Live Calls over Call Backs

Posted 09-09-2020 15:48

Not that I've seen, and that's probably by design, but even if there was, I would advise against it. Your queue hold time is going to be what it's going to be, if it's a callback or a live call, they're both interactions in queue. Callback is intended to hold a place in line, not put off answering an interaction, or to mask staffing or abandon rate issues by using callbacks to "fill in the gaps" which is essentially what doing this would accomplish. The unintended consequence would be penalizing customers for choosing the callback option that you gave them by forcing them to wait behind people that would accept listening to hold music for however long it takes to get answered.  If the business wants to prioritize a call over a callback, then you'd be better off not offering the the callback at all. 

Finally, the underlying mathematics says that eventually, you're going to end up with the same problem that you've got today. Callbacks will sit in queue long enough to accumulate 'time-in-queue' points to the extent that they'll overtake the priority points that are accumulated by a call. to the point that NO calls will get through until the callbacks get pared down and the queue normalizes. 

I get why it makes sense to what to do this in theory, but in practice it actually exacerbates issues. I'm sorry if this wasn't the useful answer you were looking for but I wanted to at least pass on the experiences I've had with it. 

--C#

Chip Sharp
    Powernet Global Telecommunications

• 3.  RE: Prioritize Live Calls over Call Backs

Posted 09-10-2020 14:39
    Thanks Chip,  I appreciate that.  I'll send your explanation to the team.   That's what I needed to know.

Thomas Ivy
    ZenPayroll, Inc., dba Gusto

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources