Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Call Recording Retention

• 1.  Call Recording Retention

Posted 02-12-2021 16:48
    Hi Genesys Cloud Community, 

I am trying to figure out how long call recordings are retained.  I've read about 9 million articles in the Help Center and several threads in the community here, but can't find anything about.  We have line recording enable on the trunk, but we don't have a policy.  Our calls are recorded and I can listen to them.  Is there a default policy for call recording retention?  I am also wondering if we are grandfathered in under an old procedure.  We've been with PureCloud since July 2016, and that is when recording was enabled and started.  And, of course, the person who set all of that up in 2016 has since moved on.  

Thanks in advance!
    Lindsay
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Lindsay Hull
    Rose-Hulman's AskRose Homework Help

• 2.  RE: Call Recording Retention

GENESYS
    Posted 02-12-2021 16:53
    Basically, call recordings are retained until deleted. Your subscription has a specific amount of storage allotted per user, so if you don't delete recordings you will be charged for overage every month for the amount over what is included.

You at least need a policy which Archives recordings to "Deep Freeze", because those are not counted against your allocation limits, but they can be retrieved within a day to listen to if needed.

If you create a policy now, it does not automatically go back and delete the old recordings. You will need to use the API for that. Developer.mypurecloud.com has some info on that if you search around.

George Ganahl GCP (Genesys Cloud), ICCE
    Principal PS Consultant
    Genesys

• 3.  RE: Call Recording Retention

Posted 02-15-2021 09:12
    Hi George, 

Thank you, this was a question my compnay had as well.   Quick question, regarding our subscription allotment, where can this information be found, and ifs there a place that shows what our limit is and what we have used so far?

Thanks,

Scott McCann
    Envision Pharmaceutical Services, LLC

• 4.  RE: Call Recording Retention

Posted 02-16-2021 05:54
    This is an interesting discussion. We had the same issue this month, where I need to retrieve a call recording from 2018. Genesys had to whitelist our org to access recordings older than 558 days. 

I don't know whether it's related to storage but you can check your org's storage allocation under, Admin>Subscriptions.

Morris Mbae
    BRITAM

• 5.  RE: Call Recording Retention

GENESYS
    Posted 02-16-2021 08:22
    Hi George,

You can find the storage usage and allotment in your subscription view: https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/view-billing-usage-summary/

Also, if you are unsure about how long your calls' retention is set, you can take a look at some of your Interactions in the Interactions Details VIew, and look at the (expected) Delete Date.

Daniel Ho
    Product Line Manager – Recording and Quality Management, Genesys Cloud
    Workforce Engagement Management (WEM)

• 6.  RE: Call Recording Retention

GENESYS
    Posted 02-16-2021 09:37
    Another good article (and sub-articles) is https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/about-data-storage-for-genesys-cloud/

Principal PS Consultant
    Genesys

• 7.  RE: Call Recording Retention

Posted 02-17-2021 11:05
    Hi George and All, 

Thanks for all of the info.  We have a lot of interactions we can't access, even though we don't have a policy set up to delete/archive interactions.  Also, we've never deleted an interaction/recording, but we've never been charged for data storage....I am thinking at this point maybe I should talk to support about this. 

Lindsay

Lindsay Hull
    Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology's AskRose Homework Help

• 8.  RE: Call Recording Retention

GENESYS
    Posted 02-17-2021 11:35
    Three things to think about/check first:

1. Internal calls are not recorded. Only the calls (or portions of calls) which travel across external trunks are recorded.
    2. You said that recording is enabled on the trunk, which implies only one trunk. If that is all, then see 3.
    3. It is possible your trunks are using the Consent Required feature, in which case outbound calls will never be recorded and only inbound calls which go through an Architect flow which uses the Enable Participant Recording action to turn on recording for the call https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/enable-participant-recording-action/

You mention interactions you can't access...does that mean you click on an old interaction and nothing shows up for a recording, or that you see a recording but it won't play? 

One other thought...someone may have used the API to bulk delete recordings in the past. 
    https://developer.mypurecloud.com/api/tutorials/recordings-bulk-actions/index.html?language=nodejs&step=1

Principal PS Consultant
    Genesys

• 9.  RE: Call Recording Retention

Posted 02-17-2021 14:42
    I didn't get a response to my question in another thread, so I'll try again here.
    The question was about how the notification is done when retrieving a message from the archive. When asking for the retrieval, a message is popped up that retrieval can take several hours and there will be notification when it's ready, see https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/retrieve-archived-interactions/

How does the notification happen? I got this question from my users and tried it myself. I didn't get or notice a notification. Given that retrieval can take hours, I don't think it's reasonable to expect users to hover over their screen for several hours waiting for a popup message that disappears after a few seconds. Does anyone know?

Sven Schiller
    Kognitiv

• 10.  RE: Call Recording Retention

Posted 02-22-2021 13:38
    Hi Sven

Unfortunately the only "notification" is in the toaster popup area where you see other alerts.  What this means is if you're logged out or not watching the screen at the time you won't see it so you'll be stuck having to just guess whether it's been restored yet and keep checking the interaction.  There is a dev roadmap item out there to improve this but there's no ETA on that yet.

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

• 11.  RE: Call Recording Retention

Posted 02-22-2021 15:41
    Thanks Vaun, will let my users know.

Sven Schiller
    Kognitiv

• 12.  RE: Call Recording Retention

Posted 04-14-2022 03:52

I've recently discovered that Views (which are, so far as I'm aware, the only way to access recordings via your UI) only go back 18 months. My understanding is that after that time you can only access recordings through the API. The API then only goes to 5 years, after which there appears to be no way to access recordings (even through you will still be charged for them to be stored).

In the UK, financial services regulations mean that recordings need to be stored for 7 years. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks, Paul

Paul Cox
    Maintel Europe Limited

• 13.  RE: Call Recording Retention

Posted 04-14-2022 09:17
    Hi Paul,

See this article: https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/analytics-conversation-detail-endpoint-api-query-change/
    We had to ask Customer Care to whitelist our organisation to be able to see all recordings.

Sven Schiller
    Kognitiv

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources