PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

Posted 10-12-2010 20:52
    Hello. I am new here and new to ININ. I have been brought into the middle of an IT environment where the entire department has turned over, no one in the company has a good grasp on the IT and I am expected to get it all straight. So...I have two annoyances with our PBX one that I believe is new and one that has been here since anyone can remember: 1) We have Jabra GN2000 softphones for three remote employees? They work but the quality of their conversations are very poor sometimes. I initially thought it to be bandwidth or a malfunctioning QoS but I have worked with Cisco to verify no packets are being dropped and I have noticed times when our bandwidth usage is low and I still receive complaints of "crackliness". Our ININ is 3.0. I am leaning right now towards the soft phone just not being a realistic solution for us in this situation. Our situation is that we have two T1's in the office and the remote users have residential ISP connections. The remote users connect via VPN. Any thoughts on this one? (I have been told this issue has been around since they attempted to implement the first 2 soft phones) 2) Our stations in the office that are set to "obtain settings automatically" work just fine but lately we have been seeing an issue where in IA they all show as having the IP address of the server. The phones show their actual IP address that they have obtained from our DHCP server. I reboot each phone and it fixes the issue. This just began happening a few weeks ago and seems to happen every other day or every day or a couple of times a week but with no consistency. Is our server being hacked? I do see some suspicious action in my firewall logs when this happens. OR is this a function of ININ that might happen due to some other condition i.e. the server not being able to reach our DHCP server? Our phones are polycom 430 and 330. I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Let me know if my questions aren't clear or if more info is needed. Thanks!!!

• 2.  RE: DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

Posted 10-13-2010 13:36
    It sounds like your remote users are using an ISP to VPN into your office, if this is the case then your issue is probably with their connection to the internet. Since the Internet is public you will have no QoS across it. I'm assuming you are using G.711 for all your phone calls, you could look into buying a couple of G.729 voice resources and trying G.729 to the 2 remote stations. G.729 uses a lot less bandwidth than G.711 so it might help, however G.729 compresses the call more so the remote agents will sound like they are on a cell phone. As far as your registration issue goes I'm assuming you are referring to the Polycom phones are registering to the CIC server with a SIP connection address of "SIP:<Station Extension>@<CIC Server>:5060 in Interaction Administrator. Do you use a SIP proxy between your Polycom phones and the CIC server? Also, what version of CIC and service update are you running?

• 3.  RE: DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

Posted 10-13-2010 17:02
    Originally posted by MarkT;19364
    It sounds like your remote users are using an ISP to VPN into your office, if this is the case then your issue is probably with their connection to the internet. Since the Internet is public you will have no QoS across it. I'm assuming you are using G.711 for all your phone calls, you could look into buying a couple of G.729 voice resources and trying G.729 to the 2 remote stations. G.729 uses a lot less bandwidth than G.711 so it might help, however G.729 compresses the call more so the remote agents will sound like they are on a cell phone. As far as your registration issue goes I'm assuming you are referring to the Polycom phones are registering to the CIC server with a SIP connection address of "SIP:<Station Extension>@<CIC Server>:5060 in Interaction Administrator. Do you use a SIP proxy between your Polycom phones and the CIC server? Also, what version of CIC and service update are you running?
    Thanks for the help Mark! One thing I didn't mention on the softphones was that I was able to re-create the "crackly" softphone conversation on our LAN and calling out to a land line. My guess is that the soft phone device we are trying to use is not optimum for what we are trying to do. No packets are being dropped yet we experience the "crackliness". As for my "DHCP" phones...your assumption is correct. I know that there is no physical proxy between the polycoms and the CIC server. In IA I see a "SIP proxies" section with nothing defined so, I am assuming that there is no "software" proxies set either. We do have a proxy between our IC server and our provider but I am assuming that this is not what you are talking about. The best I can tell from the registry is that our CIC version is 3.0 and I am not sure where to verify the SU but it appears to me to be 7. I apologize for my ignorance, I am neither an Interactive Intelligence or SIP expert so, if I am not giving you good info to help with let me know and don't be afraid to tell me where to look.

• 4.  RE: DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

GENESYS
    Posted 10-13-2010 18:21
    Just a question on the softphone issue... You say you are using the GN-2000 softphone - can you clarify? Are you using the Gn-2000 as a headset, but using the Interactive Intelligence Soft Phone that you install from the IC User Apps install?

• 5.  RE: DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

Posted 10-13-2010 19:56
    Originally posted by GGanahl;19386
    Just a question on the softphone issue... You say you are using the GN-2000 softphone - can you clarify? Are you using the Gn-2000 as a headset, but using the Interactive Intelligence Soft Phone that you install from the IC User Apps install?
    Yes. The GN-2000 is just the headset hardware and we are utilizing the Soft Phone software that is loaded with the IC User Apps.

• 6.  RE: DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

Posted 10-14-2010 14:20
    I know there are some bugs with the I3 SIP soft phone software. In particular there is a SCR IC-69756 for audio breakups or stuttering on the SIP Soft phones, I believe this is fixed in SU 9.

• 7.  RE: DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

Posted 10-14-2010 16:11
    The most common cause of DHCP issues with phones is a rouge DHCP server - for example, a user brings in a consumer wireless router and connects it to your network. This can cause all sorts of strange issues and be difficult to track down. In your scenario, my next suspect would be DNS. Check out this video on provisioning Polycom phones and verify your network configuration as well: Provisioning Polycom Phones in Interaction Center 3.0

• 8.  RE: DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

Posted 10-14-2010 18:27
    Originally posted by MarkT;19400
    I know there are some bugs with the I3 SIP soft phone software. In particular there is a SCR IC-69756 for audio breakups or stuttering on the SIP Soft phones, I believe this is fixed in SU 9.
    Thanks, this is helpful info. I was able to verify that we are on 7 so, I will have to look into the process of updating. What is my easiest route to get the release notes on service updates?

• 9.  RE: DHCP Station issue and Soft Phone headache

Posted 10-19-2010 17:25
    Originally posted by ross;19409
    Thanks, this is helpful info. I was able to verify that we are on 7 so, I will have to look into the process of updating. What is my easiest route to get the release notes on service updates?
    Your best bet is to have your reseller get you a log in to I3's website. Then you can look at the latest release notes for the CIC products.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources