PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

• 1.  Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

Posted 08-29-2017 20:19
    I have a handler that is utilizing the Get Attribute with a custom Attribute applied to it. I have looked in IA under the Interaction Process --> Tables as well as under structure parameters and did not see this attribute called out. Is there another Table or File i should be looking for? Thank you, Scott

• 2.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

GENESYS
    Posted 08-29-2017 21:00
    The type of attribute handled by Get Attribute or Set Attribute is an Object Attribute, not anything in IA. Custom attributes are added to interactions in handlers, and can either be set up in a handler directly or in Interaction Attendant. https://help.genesys.com/cic/mergedProjects/wh_att/desktop/interaction_attributes.htm

• 3.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

Posted 08-29-2017 21:48
    Hi Ganahl Thank you for your reply, that is along the lines of what i was looking about, but i am looking for more of where you configure what that attribute is looking at: In my case the Handler is using SOAP to access a webpage to check for SSN, which the Caller was Prompted to put in. From there the next step is a Get Attribute where it is looking for how many loans this user has. I am finding that calls are dying there in my Dev Environment as it is returning a value of 0, which kick's the call out to an agent. In Debugging if i force that to a 1 the call goes through as it should, so i am thinking that whatever that Attribute is looking at, it is not configure properly. Input Tab configuration: Call Identifier: Interaction1 Call Attribute Name: "MOH_LoanCount" Output Tab Configuration Call Attribute Value: sLoanCount <-- This is a String Variable What i am trying to figure out, is where do i tell the Handler what it is looking at when it is looking for "MOH_LoanCount". If i understand how this works, there should be a table or file that is telling the handler to look for something in a location and pull that information in as SLoanCount. Where is that configure? How do i tell the Handler what it is suppose to do with "MOH_LoanCount" Thank you, Scott

• 4.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

Posted 08-30-2017 00:29
    Hi Scott, With respect, I think you are misunderstand what attributes actually are. Another word for them would be "properties". CIC has two types of these, Interaction and Directory Services (DS). When a call comes in (or any interaction for that matter) an object is created (Interaction1) which can be thought of as being a bit like a bucket. Inside that bucket are the attributes. Some (most) of these are automatically set by the system (DNIS, ANI, Line etc.) You can think of them as being like pieces of paper with information in them. The object, for all practical purposes IS the call, and so it goes with the call wherever the call goes. Ok, so far so good. Custom attributes are ones that you add. There are two primary ways to do this (there are others, but bear with me!). The first is in Attendant. You can directly set an attribute using the Set Attribute operation, or some of the other operations can be configured to set an attribute as well (for example Caller Data Entry). Prior to this step being executed, the attribute needn't exist (although it can). The secon place you can access attributes is in a Handler, where you can both get and set them. So, in your scenario, you could prompt the caller for their SSN in Attendant and assign the response to an attribute. Effectively, what has happened is that the information has been written on a new piece of paper and put in the bucket. When you then execute your handler, (presumably using Run Subroutine?) you are given Interaction1, which is essentially the bucket. That means you can use get attribute to retrieve the value into a variable. In terms of 'where do i tell the Handler what it is looking at when it is looking for "MOH_LoanCount"', it looks in the bucket. How does it get there? You put it there! For the sake of completeness, DS attributes are any property set on an object in IA. If you need to store an additional information, you can do that on the "Custom Attributes" tab. Say, for example, you wanted to inform the caller what color the agent's eyes were (keep with me here!) then you could store the eye color in a custom attribute for the agents. In a handler you could pull the information from the agent's DS object to read it out to the caller. In all honesty, I would recommend taking the Handlers class. HTH

• 5.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

GENESYS
    Posted 08-30-2017 13:21
    Originally posted by swilliams164;35724
    What i am trying to figure out, is where do i tell the Handler what it is looking at when it is looking for "MOH_LoanCount". If i understand how this works, there should be a table or file that is telling the handler to look for something in a location and pull that information in as SLoanCount. Where is that configure? How do i tell the Handler what it is suppose to do with "MOH_LoanCount" Thank you, Scott
    You need to put the System_IncomingCall handler in Debug mode, and trace a call all the way through to the handler with the steps you are looking at. You need to look at the Interaction1 variable, as it shows all of the attributes associated with the call. At some point, you will see the MOH_LoanCount attribute appear in the list. That will tell you which handler adds the attribute, and then you can focus in on the surrounding steps to see what should be populating it with a Set Attribute tool step. Another, probably better, option to start with would be to turn the Interaction Processor (IP) subsystem tracing up to 81, place a call in and reproduce the problem, then view the IP trace log and search through it for MOH_LoanCount to see which handler adds it and try to figure out how it is populated.

• 6.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

Posted 08-30-2017 13:33
    Hi WierdBeard65 (Like the name :D) That was a excellent explanation. So SOAP creates a bucket and in my case calls it interaction1 and pulls the information into it based upon the SSN the user inputs. At that point the Get Attribute looks in that bucket to pull out the information it needs. So then were do you tell the system what value in the bucket should be associate with MOH_LoanCount? is that configured in the SOAP operation when it drops everything in the bucket? I really do appreciate all the help and look forward to helping others once i am up to speed. I plan on taking the Handler Class, but need to complete the ICCS class first, which happens will be September 11th. If i am still off, let me know and we can close this post. I don't want to tie up peoples time for my lack of understanding. Thank you, Scott

• 7.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

GENESYS
    Posted 08-30-2017 13:45
    Scott, the main misunderstanding lies in your focus on the SOAP call. The SOAP tools are not setting the custom attribute MOH_LoanCount. Attributes are not like variables - they cannot be the output of just any tool step. That attribute would be set somewhere else by a Set Attribute tool step, and based on the name I'm guessing that Set Attribute is in your IVR handling. Do you use Interaction Attendant for gathering the customer info, or custom handlers? BTW, it is very difficult to teach yourself handler development. I have known a few full-time developers who were able to do so, but without taking the class it is pretty hard to figure out just from the Help. There is a lot that can easily be broken in system functionality if you make a change without understanding the far-reaching impact a change in one handler can have on the whole system of handlers.

• 8.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

Posted 08-30-2017 13:57
    Thanks GGanahl; It sounds like i am still having a bad understanding of Handlers, so we can close this post. Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated! Scott

• 9.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

GENESYS
    Posted 08-30-2017 14:03
    Posts don't close :-) Feel free to keep asking questions. If you want to dive into the trace log thing, reach out...folks can help walk through it.

• 10.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

Posted 08-30-2017 18:38
    Thank you GGanahl. Thanks to you and WeirdBeard65, i have found the problem. Doing a full debug and not just debugging on the 2 main Subroutines i found where that attribute is being set! There were many other subroutines that i didn't notice being kicked off and within one of those and the MOH_LoanCount was being applied in one of those. The issue ended up being somebody used "Assignment" and hardcoded the system to only count certain types of loans, I have added the loans that were failing and issue was resolved. Thank you, Scott

• 11.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

GENESYS
    Posted 08-30-2017 19:25
    Excellent! Glad you found it! Sounds like you are getting pretty capable with Handlers. Keep asking questions when you run into something not covered by the Help.

• 12.  RE: Get Attribute - Custom Attribute

Posted 08-31-2017 15:16
    Originally posted by swilliams164;35740
    Thank you GGanahl. Thanks to you and WeirdBeard65, i have found the problem. Doing a full debug and not just debugging on the 2 main Subroutines i found where that attribute is being set! There were many other subroutines that i didn't notice being kicked off and within one of those and the MOH_LoanCount was being applied in one of those. The issue ended up being somebody used "Assignment" and hardcoded the system to only count certain types of loans, I have added the loans that were failing and issue was resolved. Thank you, Scott
    The moral of the story: document your systems! :) Now, if only Genesys could be convinced to do that for PureConnect...

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources