PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  DTMF issues?

Posted 09-20-2017 15:08
    Hi All, I'm just going to throw this out there and see if anyone has any advice for me. I am working with a conferencing provider, and recently, we have troubles with DTMF. We can dial them, but the service won't accept the digits we send for the conference ID, and we are unable to start a conference call. Here's my findings:
    • It only happens intermittently.
    • I can duplicate the problem this morning, but I couldn't yesterday afternoon.
    • During one occurrence, I engaged support from the conferencing provider, and the 1st tier support could recreate the issue, but by the time it got to tier 2, they could not.
    • It does seem to be specific to just one carrier. When I use my backup trunk group, I haven't gotten failure yet.
    • Also works from my cell phone without issue.
    • Had my primary carrier check bandwidth and utilization, and nothing is overused on my end.
    • The conferencing carrier said they opened a ticket on the back end with my carrier, and DTMF tested fine.
    • I tested with other conferencing services, and no issue.
    • We encounter calls that require DTMF all day, every day, and no issues with DTMF or other numbers have been reported.
    Am I missing anything? I am unable to clearly point the finger at the conferencing provider, or at my carrier. I am working on getting a network capture off the gateway to see if DTMF is getting sent properly. And, my carrier is reviewing a few items. Thanks for any advice you could pass along.

• 2.  RE: DTMF issues?

Posted 09-21-2017 16:25
    You are probably going to have to set up a packet capture at the gateway and wait for the issue to happen. You will then have to see if there are RTP-Event packets for the DTMF digits pressed. Assuming there are then your next step is to set up a protocol trace on the gateway itself and watch to make sure the DTMF digits are leaving the gateway. Assuming the DTMF digits leave the gateway then you will have to provide the same of the call failing and have the carrier see what they had on their side. Out of curiosity what sort of trunks are you using? I could see if your carrier is a SIP carrier maybe one of their internal SIP trunks is misconfigured and it's the luck of the draw if you hit the misconfigured internal trunk and then you can't send DTMF.

• 3.  RE: DTMF issues?

Posted 10-02-2017 16:53
    Originally posted by MarkT;35884
    You are probably going to have to set up a packet capture at the gateway and wait for the issue to happen. You will then have to see if there are RTP-Event packets for the DTMF digits pressed. Assuming there are then your next step is to set up a protocol trace on the gateway itself and watch to make sure the DTMF digits are leaving the gateway. Assuming the DTMF digits leave the gateway then you will have to provide the same of the call failing and have the carrier see what they had on their side. Out of curiosity what sort of trunks are you using? I could see if your carrier is a SIP carrier maybe one of their internal SIP trunks is misconfigured and it's the luck of the draw if you hit the misconfigured internal trunk and then you can't send DTMF.
    The problem was pretty persistent, and we actually were taking steps to setup our packet capture. But, before we initiated our capture, the provider acknowledged the issue was on their end. It appeared to be between our carrier and the conference provider, so I'm sure it was a needle in a haystack. We have been advised that the issue is resolved, and no further reports of trouble on our end. Thanks for the feedback!

• 4.  RE: DTMF issues?

Posted 10-11-2017 19:30
    Originally posted by nofon4u;35921
    The problem was pretty persistent, and we actually were taking steps to setup our packet capture. But, before we initiated our capture, the provider acknowledged the issue was on their end. It appeared to be between our carrier and the conference provider, so I'm sure it was a needle in a haystack. We have been advised that the issue is resolved, and no further reports of trouble on our end. Thanks for the feedback!
    Issue was resolved by the provider.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources