PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

• 1.  Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-22-2019 10:04
    Hi,

I'm looking for a quite basic feature but so far I haven't found a solution in the discussions.

What I need is a way (preferably a custom button) to open a URL with the ANI of the selected call:

For example: https://my-crm/searchbynumber/{{ANI}}

When looking in the documentation for custom buttons I can see that other parameters can be used but ANI is not one of them. Still, it seems like the most obvious thing that should be part of this.

What we do not want is an action on ringing as the URL should only be opened on demand as it is not mandatory for the call. Other possible solutions would be to start a handler that starts an action but I haven't found a way to do so either.

I would be thankful for any help here.
    #Handlers
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Marco Wollschläger
    VR Voice GmbH

• 2.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-22-2019 10:29
    Marco,

You should be able to get at ANI with the custom button push. Have you tried debugging the handler to see what is being passed in. You should see Interaction1 being passed in and simply pulling back different attributes will allow you to get things like ANI and DNIS. I haven't used the custom button to call a handler to then pop a screen however. You may need to look at building a client add-in and then use the button to call the add-in.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 3.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-22-2019 10:48
    Hi Mark,

thank you for your answer. I know that I can get the ANI from the handler as it provides me the interaction ID. Sadly I also do not know of a way to perform a client action (like a screen pop) from a handler.

I was hoping that there was a "hidden" way to achive this without needing any handler. Maybe somebody knows if I can enter an attribute with a specific syntax in the command field?

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 4.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-22-2019 16:51
    I just confirmed, and the ANI is not one of the items that is passed to a local executable started from a client button push. (You can get the Call ID, but not the ANI!!)

You could configure a Web Action, which does provide ANI, but that would then appear for all calls to the queue, not be triggered from a button.

You could do it with ICELib too.

It might be possible to write a Batch file that uses a Custom Event to call a handler, pass the Call ID, return the ANI and then use that to start the browser session?

Unless anyone knows of a way to add to the parameters passed by the Custom Button launch executable....

• 5.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-25-2019 03:29
    Hi Paul,

thank you very much for confirming.That is sad to hear as most CRM tools are only able to search a contact by phone number and not by the other available parameters.

The other idea I had was to start a custom handler with a button press that triggers an action. Is something like this possible?

I would like to avoid any additional applications / plugins that need to be locally installed on all agent PCs.

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 6.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-25-2019 03:35
    I think this can be achieved, though I have not tried it myself yet.
    Please try following the steps;

- From the custom button run a handler.
    - In the handler, retrieve the ANI for the interaction.
    - Use the tool-step "Escape URL" to format the URL correctly, if required
    - Run the tool-step "Execure Shell Command" to run say iexplore.exe with the URL as a paramerer, something like "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe https://my-crm/searchbynumber/{{ANI}} "

It will start a new IE sesson.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Vineet Kakroo
    FIL Investment Management Ltd

• 7.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-25-2019 04:01
    Hi Vineet,

thank you for this idea.

As far as I know this would result in the the browser opening on the server and not on the client and I could not find an option to say that the command should be performed on the client PC.

The website has to be opened on the agent PC. That is why I thought that I could create an action element with a web popup including the ANI (it is available here) from a handler.

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 8.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-25-2019 04:05
    Hi Marco,

I am sure it will open it on the agent PC as long as the exe is in the same path that you suggest on the Execute Shell Command.

Try it and let us know how it behaves.

Regards

Vineet Kakroo
    FIL Investment Management Ltd

• 9.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-25-2019 05:40
    Hi Vineet,

I testet it with a simple example:

Directory Path = ""
    File Name = "notepad"
    Command Line Parameters = ""

And the notepad was opened on the server, not the client. Sadly that means that this will not work for me.

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 10.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

GENESYS
    Posted 11-26-2019 01:28
    How about using a Connect Add-in (https://help.genesys.com/developer/cic/docs/connectaddin/index.html)?

Sze Min NG
    Genesys - Employees

• 11.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-26-2019 03:41
    Thank you for that suggestion. This would be an option for the Interaction Connect, but sadly we still use the Interaction Desktop client as Interaction Connect still does not offer template management.

I know that there are similar add-ins for Interaction Desktop, but if possible, I would like a way to do this that is not dependant on a specific client version. Also  I think the effort for this compared to the benefit is to high for a full custom plugin.

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 12.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-27-2019 08:36
    So, I can think of two options:

1.  Write a Powershell script, which would give you access to either IceLib or ICWS.  Kind of poor man's add-in, which you could call with the interaction id.  Then simply look up the correct attributes and pop the proper URL.

2.  Write a simple web page which takes in the Interaction ID as a parameter and redirects to the page you want it to (after using IceLib or ICWS to lookup the correct attributes).  

Neither of these depend on a specific client version.  Option 2 would be able to work with Interaction Connect as well.

--Jason
    Agon Consulting Services, Inc.

Jason Loucks
    Agon Consulting Services

• 13.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-27-2019 09:23
    Hi Jason,

thank you for the ideas. Both of them where things that I also thought about but seem to be to much effort maintaining and / or developing.

So far it seems like there there is no way to achive what I need without any external program, script or plug-in.

Does anyone have an idea how this could be achived with only onboard tools (actions, buttons and handlers)?

Still thanks to everybody that provided ideas so far!

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 14.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-28-2019 14:16
    The only method I can think of would be to use a Web-Based Action. This wouldn't require any Handlers or local installs, but would result in the web page being displayed for every interaction to the Workgroup, rather than on demand via a button.

• 15.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 11-29-2019 03:42
    Hi Paul,

this is exacly what we have setup right now: Web-based Action on ringing. But this is what gets complained about. The website is not always required to be opened for a call and the agents will get interrupted in their current work (which is not only taking calls) with this popup. Therefore we were looking at alternatives.

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 16.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 12-02-2019 11:46
    Unfortunately, I can't think iof a way to do this with no client-side install at all.

I think the rationalle is that if you are installing the client, then adding plugins etc. isn't much more effort. If you truly want no client-side install, then it's Interaction Connect...

Sorry!

• 17.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 12-03-2019 03:39
    Hi Paul,

thanks for the answer. I will go with that and check with the customer if they are fine with a higher effort with a client side tool / script, plugin, Interaction Connect or if they then rather keep the ringing action.

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 18.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)
    Best Answer

Posted 12-10-2019 14:30
    Hi Marco,

Now I am not sure this is applicable to your scenario, I went through all the posts and think I might have one solution since I already implemented it myself for my Dev system, preparing for a customer implementation.

I use a button to trigger a custom Handler that gathers the info I need to pop on.  Then I basically copied the Handler called "SetScreenPop" and renamed it to my naming preference, I added it as a subroutine inside my Custom Handler, and voilá, every time I press the button in the client when I have a live interaction it will pop to a browser with the CRM system, even though the Action is not set on the Workgroup :).  I am only able to press the button Once per Interaction though, but I have a feeling this is enough.

Not sure why this works though, but it is possible it seems with only Handlers.

Regards,

Egill Palsson
    Advania AB

• 19.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 01-07-2020 09:33
    Hi Egill,

thank you! This was exacly what I was looking for. It works perfectly for me.

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 20.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 01-31-2020 09:22
    Hi Egill,

I just wanted to share something I just found out. When you want to use the button multiple times, you need to set the interaction attribute Eic_ScreenPopData and Eic_ScreenPopName to an empty string and use the sleep tool for 1 second before starting your custom SetScreenPop handler. I don't know why the delay is necessary, but it works and the delay is not an issue in my opinion.

I hope this might help you as well!

Regards,

Marco Wollschlager
    VR Voice GmbH

• 21.  RE: Opening URL with ANI on demand (Custom Button)

Posted 02-19-2020 03:08
    This is great Marco, thanks for sharing :)

I have not had complaints yet about it, but it is good to know this can be even further manipulated :)

Egill Palsson
    Advania AB

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources