PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Moving SQL Database to new server

Posted 02-03-2020 13:14

Currently running PureConnect 2018 R1.  I need to move the SQL Database from one SQL server to another, and I will also need to reset passwords for SQL users IC_Admin, IC_User, and IC_ReadOnly as the current passwords are not known.

What steps need to be done on the PureConnect side after the SQL database is moved and the passwords on the 3 SQL users are changed?  The installation is fairly basic with IC servers in failover and two Media Servers.  No other add-on products/features are in use, and there are no custom handlers that interact with the SQL database.

#SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Evan

• 2.  RE: Moving SQL Database to new server

Posted 02-03-2020 13:33
    Edited by William Chávez 02-03-2020 17:45
    Hi Evan:

In order to do so I recommend you to check this link about CIC Migration Checklist, check the page 11: https://help.genesys.com/cic/mergedProjects/wh_tr/desktop/pdfs/migration_checklists.pdf

Please do not forget the following:
    1. If you have Dialer Campaigns running and the UDL file is connected to that Database instance, please first stop the campaigns.
    2. Then, migrate the database and modifiy your UDL file to make the new database intance visible from Interaction Dialer subsystem.
    3. Then make the configurations in Interaction Administrator in order to map every contact list you have with the new UDL file.
    4. Make sure your configuration are done well by testing a campaign from the agent´s script to the database record. Check if the dialer campaign works well according to the policies and the behavior explained in the Dialer documentation about the Dialer Database and the contact list management.

Consider too, before do that, please create a support case in Genesys Care in order to get verified your migration plan and to get authorized your plan by your organization and by Genesys.

I am sure this helps you.

Best Regards.

William Martín Chávez González
    Systems Engineer
    Global Networks Solutions S.A.S.

• 3.  RE: Moving SQL Database to new server

Posted 02-03-2020 17:52
    Hi Evan:

In addition, you have to configure again in the IC SetupAssistant desktop app the Database parameters configuration. Follow the instructions of this reference, but first validate with Genesys your migration plan, step by step:

Link: https://help.inin.com/cic/mergedProjects/wh_tr/mergedProjects/wh_tr_installation_and_configuration/desktop/database_configuration.htm 

Link 2: https://help.inin.com/cic/mergedProjects/wh_tr/mergedProjects/wh_tr_installation_and_configuration/desktop/cic_database_configuration.htm 

I expect that helps you.

William Martín Chávez González
    Systems Engineer
    Global Networks Solutions S.A.S.

• 4.  RE: Moving SQL Database to new server

Posted 02-04-2020 08:50
    Evan,

The biggest "gotcha" with a SQL move to another server is that the 3 users get orphaned.  However, you have the additional hurdle of not knowing the passwords, which is fairly common in a CIC system that has been around for a while.  Not knowing the passwords creates a catch 22 with the Setup Assistant.  It won't let you change the passwords if the users already exist, even if you run the task with an sa level account.
    Luckily, there is a system sproc that will resolve both of these issues: orphaned users and resets passwords - login to SQL studio with an sa password, select the I3_IC DB, select New Query (this ensures the proper context for the scripts):

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', 'IC_Admin', NULL, '12345678'

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', 'IC_User', NULL, '12345678'

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', 'IC_ReadOnly',NULL, '12345678'

Change 12345678 to the desired password in each case.  Be mindful of the new passwords you choose because there are restrictions in the latest versions of the ODBC drivers: a password must not contain the following characters: [] {}() , ; ? * ! @ - MS SQL will let you use these in passwords, but the Setup Assistant will not let you proceed.
    Once you have moved the DB and run the orphaned user scripts, you should run Setup Assistant DB task to point to the DB in its new home.  This updates the IC server ODBC-DSNs and the SQL user passwords in IntAdmin-Data Sources.  Setup Assistant needs to be run on both IC servers in the switchover pair.  It is recommended to stop Interaction Center service on both servers before proceeding with the Setup Assistant - you don't want to update one server, reboot it, then have switchover replicate the old passwords in the registry.

Be sure to test the first server before running setup assistant on the second, just to make sure it works.  Take the original DB offline (to make sure you are not still pointed to it); boot the updated IC server; check Application log and look for errors with DB connection (on the updated IC server); run a report as a sanity check.

Donald Reitz
    Avtex

• 5.  RE: Moving SQL Database to new server

Posted 02-23-2020 10:25

Following up to say that I successfully completed resetting DB user passwords as well as moving to a new DB server following @Donald Reitz process.  I did run into two small hiccups:

1) When running Setup Assistant/Database step on the first IC server, it would not let me use the option for "use existing database", it reported that an existing database already existed, upgrade or create new.  I used the upgrade step which took a while but completed successfully.  When I ran Setup Assistant on the second server, it let me choose the "use existing database" and that process completed very quickly.
    2) The IC Data Sources named "IC Workflows" was not updated by Setup Assistant.  This appears to be tied to IPA (which I do not have), as I have a few Event Log errors related to IPA.  I manually updated this IC Data Source with new password and SQL Server and on next server reboot the errors were gone

Is there any explanation as to why I had to run the database upgrade?  Is that expected behavior during a move or was it possible my database was still at a prior release versions state?  

Evan

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources