PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Installing multiple versions of the same tools

Posted 01-27-2020 11:18
    Hello,

Anyone as a tip to be able to run multiple version of different tools (IA, ICBM, Desktop, etc.) on the same machine?

We have different labs to different version and would like to be able to run the associated client application.  I would like to prevent having a "tool VM" in each of my environments...

Thank you!
    #Omni-ChannelDesktop/UserInterface
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Yan Pelletier
    Bell Canada

• 2.  RE: Installing multiple versions of the same tools

Posted 01-30-2020 10:21
    Yan,

There isn't a way to install multiple versions. If you try to install a second version the first version will be removed. Technically Genesys supports the server being at a higher version that the client application but occasionally I run into strange quirks when doing this, also depending on what you are testing this may not be a valid test. Usually when I stand up non-prod environments I have the customer get a few PCs for lab PCs so that they can stay in lock step with the non prod environment. Perhaps your best option is to set up a bunch of VMs for the different versions like you mention.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 3.  RE: Installing multiple versions of the same tools

Posted 01-30-2020 16:40
    Thank you for your answer.

I found that there is several Application Virtualisation tools like:
    • ThinApp
    • Enigma Virtual Box
    I'm trying with Enigma (which is free) and it should technically do exactly what I need, but I have not been successful so far...

Yan Pelletier
    Bell Canada

• 4.  RE: Installing multiple versions of the same tools

Posted 01-30-2020 17:25
    Yan,

I played around with Oracle virtual box and I was able to install Windows and the client side CIC applications without issue. I didn't use it for long term as it was more of a POC but it did work. It looks like ThinApp and Enigma Virtual Box are not full virtual solutions but instead allow you to package applications into self contained environments. You may need to virtualize the entire desktop environment to make this work. What sort of issues are you running into?

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 5.  RE: Installing multiple versions of the same tools

Posted 01-31-2020 08:52
    Hello Mark,

Enigma Virtual Box is an Oracle product that has nothing to do with Virtual Box itself.

It simply packages a whole application into a single EXE that it self-contained and has everything that is need to be distributed on any computer without the need to install anything; just copy the newly created big EXE file.

When this newly packaged ICBM starts, it cannot find a library that is packaged in the root directory of the application.

I've tried to package multiple applications and it works fine, but not with ICBM...

Thanks

Yan Pelletier
    Bell Canada

• 6.  RE: Installing multiple versions of the same tools

Posted 01-31-2020 09:38
    Yan,

I understand that the virtualization application you are referring to is different than the one I'm referring to. I was trying to show that although it's not ideal you could build multiple complete virtual images with the guest OS and all CIC applications installed. Obviously this is going to take up a ton of physical resources not to mention Windows licenses but would work. Also the other benefit of installing in a full virtual environment is that you are going to be closer to how things would feel and act in production.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources