PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  2019R2 IC Build Script creating large SQL Log files

Posted 07-01-2019 08:05
    Hi 

We have a customer that we are upgrading from 2017R4 to 2019 R2 and our DB is set to simple although we are still generating a large of transaction logs when running the IC build script. 

any one experienced this as well?
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Sabashni Moodley
    Elingo (Pty) Ltd

• 2.  RE: 2019R2 IC Build Script creating large SQL Log files

Posted 07-01-2019 11:22
    Sabashni,

It doesn't look like there is many things changed between the 2 versions, check out the schema change log: https://my.inin.com/products/cic/DatabaseSchemaChangeLibrary/ININ_2017R4_P00/SQL/CIC%5EMSSQL%5EININ_2017R4_P00%5EININ_2019R2_P04.html

Maybe there is a bunch of data in one of the tables which changed between the versions and the update is causing the database transaction log to grow? I've done a fair share of upgrades and have never had a DBA complain about the transaction log growing too large after a upgrade.

Maybe there is something else going on with the database as you mention the customer is using simple backups which I don't think I have ever had a customer have their transaction log set to simple on a production database. Do you know how often the customer is doing database backups, when they rebuild indexes and statistics, as well as how big the database is today? Also how large is the transaction log getting on the update?

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk.

• 3.  RE: 2019R2 IC Build Script creating large SQL Log files

Posted 07-01-2019 12:54
    Hi Mark, 

thank you for the response, it is a 5 TB database. we have restored the DB and are attempting to simulate the amount of time it will take to execute this in the production environment.
    so they have restored the DB set to simple so that the logs are not too big. this has worked before. we have run the 2018 scripts successfully but 2019 does not seem to run due to the log files being to large. we did allocate an additional 799GB for the logs.

Regards.

Sabashni Moodley
    Elingo (Pty) Ltd

• 4.  RE: 2019R2 IC Build Script creating large SQL Log files

Posted 05-30-2021 06:45
    Hi Mark

I am facing the same issue

Can you share the resolution/fix u done for this case

Regards
    Mirza

MM

• 5.  RE: 2019R2 IC Build Script creating large SQL Log files

Posted 06-10-2021 16:31
    Sabashni,

In case you're still interested in feedback on this thread, I wanted to share with you that I encountered the same issue when performing an upgrade from 2016 R3 to 2019 R2. I did notice in our case that he problem appeared to center specifically on the IR tables when running the scripts to upgrade the database. That part is where it took the longest and it consistently failed.

I can't recall very many of the details, but to work around the issue, we simply incrementally increased the size of the log files until it was able to run to completion and planned accordingly for the cutover. Just guessing from the database size you mentioned, the transaction logs may need to be set significantly higher than what you tried. In comparison, I think the database I was working with was much smaller than yours, but the DBA had to set the transactions logs to ~500 GB+

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve Hairston
    CarMax Business Services

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources