PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  single media server in Dev with CIC switchover pair

Posted 06-04-2021 08:35
    I am currently adding a second CIC to my dev environment and was planning to add a second media server as well, however, there is a licensing cost that was not anticipated. I was told that it is normal to have a CIC pair using a single media server in Dev but i have not heard this before.  Does anyone have any experience/gotchas they would want to share and is this the 'norm'? 

As always any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    #ArchitectureandDesign
    #AskMeAnything(AMA)
    #Implementation

------------------------------
    Christopher Becker
    State of Michigan - Oakland County - WRC

• 2.  RE: single media server in Dev with CIC switchover pair

Posted 06-05-2021 10:38
    Dear Christopher,

You can use single media server in a CIC Switchover Pair Environment. I did the same configuration in Dev Environment for one my customers in Switzerland. Just go to the Media Server Web Page and add 2 CIC servers and authenticate them by trusting certificates on Interaction Administrator.

Once you trust the certificate you only need to restart Media Server Service once then all will be ready.

Thanks,
    Regards

Cenk GĂĽndĂĽz
    CTCOMM

• 3.  RE: single media server in Dev with CIC switchover pair

Posted 06-05-2021 13:19
    ​I did the exact same solution.  Works without issue.  Frankly, it's a waste of money to put a second media server on a development system.  Unless you have high volume traffic in your development environment you could even skip development media servers all together and just configure one of the production media servers.  Media servers can be used by multiple CIC systems.  My experience (12 years) is that the media servers are the most stable parts of the systems and require the least amount of care and feeding. 

Hope that helps...
    Bryan

Bryan Lewis
    InfoMedia, Inc d/b/a Carenet

• 4.  RE: single media server in Dev with CIC switchover pair

Posted 06-08-2021 08:54
    So when applying an update, is there any real impact?  We want to validate that we can update one chain while the other is live, to minimise downtime. In a single media server strategy, we have to be down for the entire media upgrade and patch.

Christopher Becker
    State of Michigan - Oakland County - WRC

• 5.  RE: single media server in Dev with CIC switchover pair

Posted 06-08-2021 09:22
    Dear Christopher,

With a signle Media Server you will have of course media downtime during the upgrade. As you say if this is a dev environment i thought that this will be no issue.

If you don't see any downtime then you should install a second media server.

Thanks

Cenk GĂĽndĂĽz
    CTCOMM

• 6.  RE: single media server in Dev with CIC switchover pair

Posted 06-11-2021 09:17
    Hi Christopher,

One Media server in Dev is the norm and like a Bryan said having more is over kill. Dev License only allow 30 external call ports and 30 media server point, so a second server isn't needed.

As for upgrading in production, Media servers can be on higher version than the CIC servers can. This means you can take one Media server out of use to upgrade while your other media servers are handling the calls. Likewise you can do this with ASR and remote content servers.

Scott Williams
    Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources