PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

• 1.  Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-14-2019 11:20
    Hi - I'm looking for feedback from other admins to see how you address the process of password resets in call centers with 100+ agents.  We have a seasonal end-of-year event that requires the hiring of 600-1000 agents.  As we just migrated to PureConnect, we are feeling the pain points of when agents consistently forget their passwords.

While we are trying to come up with better controls to help seasonal agents remember their IC password, the struggle is that we only have 2 platform admins (myself included) that can reset passwords in IA.  As of now, we are having a new role built that would allow our help desk staff to access the password reset feature in IA only, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this type of problem and has found some viable solutions.

Any feedback that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    #PlatformAdministration

------------------------------
    Barry Farrington
    PureConnect Platform Admin
    Long Term Care Partners, LLC

• 2.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-14-2019 11:24
    Hi Barry,

I do not have a solution, but we use SSO/Windows Authentication to log agents on all PureConnect apps, so we do not need to reset passwords. Only if someone has not logged in for a specific period, we have to reset the individual password on IA, but this password is never shared with agents.

Regards
    Vineet

Vineet Kakroo
    FIL Investment Management Ltd

• 3.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-14-2019 11:51
    Hi Barry,

When I teach the ICELib class, one of the common applications that the students develop afterwards is a password reset tool for helpdesk use. I have seen folks create them that allow a new password to be set and I have also seen them where the Helpdesk Agent simply hits a button that creates a random password and e-mails it to the user.

Might be worth attending the class (or sending someone) and you too can start to create such little gens! :-)

• 4.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-14-2019 13:29
    It would be helpful to have such a tool that would be accessible to managers/admins/supervisors where they could do the password reset themselves, instead of funneling it to the help desk or the IA admin.

Barry Farrington

• 5.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-14-2019 13:36
    I should look forward to seeing you in an ICELib class in the near future then? ;-)

• 6.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-14-2019 14:09
    I have a limited computer programming background, so I'm not sure if I would be a good candidate.

Barry Farrington
    PureConnect Admin

• 7.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-15-2019 02:19
    We have a Supervisor Role set for our Team Managers that has, within Security Settings, "Administrator Access" set only in the category "Users". This list has all of the work groups and users listed. As we have all of our users within one of two Access Control Groups, we have just those two items ticked.

The Team Managers, assigned the role of Supervisor, now has access in Administrator to the Users part and only that part.

The disadvantage is that this gives them more access than simply resetting passwords, but we do tell them not to touch anything else and in the several years we have been doing it, we have had no problems.

An additional benefit is that the Team Managers have the ability to move agents in and out of work groups easier from here, which is a regular requirement, especially when, like you, we have seasonal ramp-up in campaign size.

One problem is that this gives the TMs the ability to change a password but it will not allow them to do this when the agent has "locked" the account. Unsure why, but when that happens, it has to come over to the admin team.

Philip Last
    Arvato Limited

• 8.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-15-2019 14:39
    Barry,

Can I ask a dumb question? Why do the agents need to use their IC password? Most installs I do we integrate with SSO or use NT authentication so the user either enters their Windows credentials or the user ID is just passed through automatically? Using these methods most of our customer's users are completely unaware that they have a password for the phone system which could be different than their Windows account info.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 9.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 11-15-2019 17:24
    The issue is that we use 2 vendors for seasonal efforts and they do not connect to our windows servers.  I can attest that our security dept would not allow a vendor to connect directly via active directory.  It's something that we're looking within our local call center, but our vendors would be excluded.

Barry Farrington
    PureConnect Admin

• 10.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 12-03-2019 12:22
    I wrote a handler that when the user locks themselves out it picks up that event ID and calls their cell phone (must be set up in use profile) and ask them if they are having issues logging in. They press one for yes and it sets their password to a random number and gives them options to repeat. And then emails me that it reset their password. If they press 2 it sends me an email as well.

ryan hedlund
    Stericycle

• 11.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 12-04-2019 16:13
    Hi Ryan - the issue is that we have a seasonal uphire effort at end of year, where we hire between 600-1000 agents.  And you cannot believe the volume of errors that we have experienced with agents mis-typing passwords, etc.  I don't think we want to have their cell number as part of their agent profile, but I could see the system dialing the DID # that is associated to their remote workstation ID.

Could the handler be designed to provision a temporary password, based on company security protocols?  As I assume it would be communicated via Attendant, I'm just wondering what types of limitations we might experience with speak-back of special characters, etc.​

Barry Farrington

• 12.  RE: Password Resets Beyond Admin Role

Posted 12-11-2019 17:10
    Yea you could call DID, send them an email what ever you want to look up in there profile for a contact method.
    Any thing could be created to set the password standard needed. As far as temporary, the handler sets the password no way to set how long it exists, like when doing it in IA you can require change at logon, that is not something available to handlers.

I haven't used the handler in a few years, I built it for a customer and then kind of forgot about it but still had it laying around in my bag of tricks.

ryan hedlund
    Stericycle

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources