PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Media Server Virtualization

Posted 11-04-2019 16:29
    Greetings,

At Xpr19 this year during the PureConnect road map session it was stated that Genesys was going through the process of approving media server virtualization options for production environments and they expected to release information in Q4.  I haven't seen anything else about this since, and was wondering if anyone here had the inside scoop.

Thanks!
    #ArchitectureandDesign

------------------------------
    Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 2.  RE: Media Server Virtualization

Posted 11-05-2019 05:52
    I think it was a rumor it's planned for 2019 R4, but maybe I'm wrong

Раско Радојевић
    Rasko Radojevic

• 3.  RE: Media Server Virtualization

Posted 11-05-2019 10:24
    Aaron,

CIC 2019 R4 should be here any day based on historical release dates. At one point I think they use to tease the features in the new R release but I can't seem to find that anymore so maybe they don't do that anymore. I would be curious about this as you can technically run non-prod media servers virtually today. I have a few customers who their dev servers are all virtual. The media server handles basic audio fine such as playing IVR prompts and record the audio but if you start trying to conference or use ASR then you start to have audio issue.

I would speculate there are going to be some restrictions on what you can do in a virtualized media server.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 4.  RE: Media Server Virtualization
    Best Answer

GENESYS
    Posted 11-05-2019 17:29
    Hi Aaron,

This feature is currently under development and expected to be released with 2020 R1 next February.  Expect to see details in the near future!

Tom Shallon
    Genesys - Employees

• 5.  RE: Media Server Virtualization

Posted 11-05-2019 18:33
    Thanks a bunch!

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 6.  RE: Media Server Virtualization

GENESYS
    Posted 11-13-2019 11:53
    Hi Aaron,

Good news for you! Our friend Brian Schaffer, who directly manages the development for this project, provides a detailed update to your question in the most recent episode of the PureConnect QA Episode. Check it out here!

Cole Callahan
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Coordinator

• 7.  RE: Media Server Virtualization

Posted 11-14-2019 11:22
    The Media server information is in the Virtualization TR found here: https://help.genesys.com/cic/mergedProjects/wh_tr/desktop/pdfs/virtualization_tr.pdf

It seems like the guide indicates it doesn't really make sense to virtualize your media servers since you need 3 times the infrastructure for one virtual server over physical media servers.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 8.  RE: Media Server Virtualization

GENESYS
    Posted 11-14-2019 15:09
    Hi Mark,

For the customers looking for absolute CPU and memory efficiency out of their hardware, virtualization may not make sense.  Media Servers are almost entirely CPU bound, and so haven't always been the best use-case for virtualization.  However, as virtualization as spread as a standard way of deploying infrastructure, many customers have started valuing the operational efficiencies that virtualization can bring over base hardware efficiencies.  For those customers, the loss of efficiency from a hardware perspective is seen as acceptable given the benefits from flexibility and environmental standardization.

Tom Shallon
    Genesys - Employees

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources