PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

PureConnect Version Upgrade

• 1.  PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-24-2020 09:55
    Hello All,

New to Genesys PureConnect and have a task were I need to upgrade from 2019 R4 Patch 6 to 2020 R3 Patch 2.  The documentation I found to follow is CIC Server Installation (below).

CIC Server Installation
    Genesys remove preview
    CIC Server Installation
    This section walks you through a new CIC server installation procedure for CIC 2015 R1 or later. The procedure includes installing the latest patch for the release.
    View this on Genesys >

I have many questions regarding a version upgrade. 

Is it a brand new installation from scratch?  Do I have to rebuild all the Custom Handlers, Attendants, Agents, Skill Groups, and so on?
    Is there another guide specific to version upgrades and best practices?

I have opened a Genesys Care ticket (0002803915) to see if I can speak with someone regarding a version upgrade.

Any suggestions is welcome.

Thank You,

Nelson Torres

#Implementation
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    [Nelson] [Torres]
    [Carilion Clinic]

• 2.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted 09-24-2020 10:40
    Ok,

So first things first. Things CAN (and sometimes do) go wrong, so backup everything.

Right, so the procedure is as follows:

1. Test everything in your development / test environment.
    2. Assuming you have the recommended N+1 redundancy for your Media Servers, start with them. One at a time,stop them from accepting new connections, wait for them to have no active resources in use, upgrade them, re-start accepting connections.
    3. If you have Switchover, upgrade your backup server.
    4. Perform a manual switchover.
    5. Upgrade the former Primary. (Do not "run like this for a week to make sure everything is OK", do it immediately.
    6. Switch back, if necessary.
    7. Upgrade the client applications.

Whilst a new release is a new install (MSP, not MSP) your configuration should be preserved. You may need to re-publish the Customization Point handlers themselves (I've seen both ways round happen) but apart from that...

Hopefully, that clarified. I strongly recommend that you attend an ICCS Training (if you are a customer) or ICCE (if you are a partner) where these procedures are discussed.

HTH

• 3.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-24-2020 10:58
    Thank you Mr. Simpson. 

Much appreciate the advise.  I really enjoyed attending your Handler class.

Nelson Torres

[Nelson] [Torres]
    [Carilion Clinic]

• 4.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-24-2020 11:57
    Thanks! My apologies for not remembering your name ;-)

Let us know how the upgrade goes.

• 5.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 10-14-2020 10:23
    Mr. Simpson,

Thank you for the advise.  I have successfully upgraded our DEV Genesys PureConnect system and now scheduled to upgrade Prod the second weekend of November.  BTW - I did not have the need to republish the Custom Handlers.

Thanks again.

Nelson Torres

[Nelson] [Torres]
    [Carilion Clinic]

• 6.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-29-2020 08:47
    Ok, this may have just answered most of my other Questions.  I too recommend the training. I have passed this training and cert test, however, the class only covers a first time vanilla install. I have encounters many 'opportunities' in upgrading my CIC system. We went to all new servers and new OS, so the custom handlers were quite interesting.  I can verify if you upgrade the CIC before the Media Server, you will have challenges.

Christopher Becker
    State of Michigan - Oakland County - WRC

• 7.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-29-2020 10:24
    Hi Paul,

Wouldn't you want to do the primary CIC server first, so you can re-publish the custom handlers folder after the upgrade?  I don't believe that custom folder is setup to be copied between CIC servers when in switchover mode. 

Thank you,
    Scott

Scott Williams
    Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority

• 8.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-29-2020 13:38
    Hi Scott,

Not something I have personally tested, however the process I describe above is intended to minimize downtime. If you do the Primary first, you would need to either shut the backup down, or it would become Primary when IC stops on the Primary, so you would still have the same problem.

I would propose that a better solution would be to make sure the custom folder is added to be synced up, if it isn't already. That way, you don't care which is Primary (although you would need to make sure you save updated handlers to the currently active one when developing / deploying.)

Also, and I'm not certain about this, but I believe that the upgrade process doesn't deploy a Handler that has been modified on the target system. That means that modified customization points shouldn't get "reset" by the upgrade. I need to check that out, though, and that's a bigger job than it seems!

• 9.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-29-2020 14:18
    OK, in an in-place software update like this, I would think I do not need to mess with my custom handlers at all. We have over 64 of them and Paul has been witness to the CustomSubroutineInitiator I get to maintain. 

As I was looking at notes for various updates, it calls out the Handlers that have had changes to the customization points, so I would use that as my guideline. We all know what they say about modifications outside the customization points.

Christopher Becker

• 10.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-29-2020 15:13

Hi Paul,

You are right the Upgrade shouldn't touch any of your custom handlers, but was told its best practice to re-publish them after every update, which is the only reason we do our primary first.

I do a manual Switchover to run on our backup and then start the upgrade on our Primary. Once our Primary is upgraded, i re-publish the handlers and switchover. Our only downtime is the few mins to do the switchover, but like all things in the PureConnect world there is multiple ways of accomplishing the same thing

As for the custom handler folder, I am sure you can add the customMirrorDir  Server Parameters, so it is replicated between the switchover pair, but its not something that is copied by default. We also have Modifications outside of customization points (Yes i know bad). These were all before me and done by PSO...I just haven't had the time to go back and re-engineer them. So re-publishing is a must for us :D

Scott Williams
    Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority

• 11.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 09-30-2020 09:57
    +1
    In my experience, always publish customized handlers.  Especially the ones that interface with something other than Pureconnect (SOAP, REST, DB connections). To make this "automated", I have used variations of a batch file that looks like this:
    dir /B *.ihd >publish.txt d:\i3\ic\server\idu.exe /publish:publish.txt ​
    I curate the listing of handlers rather than just doing a dir listing to ensure that they publish in order of dependency.  Then I can report from the App Event Log that all the handlers published.

Tim Cannon

• 12.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 10-01-2020 08:45
    Hello Tim, 
    This is very interesting to me. I sent you a contact invite and was hoping to take this off line. If that is not something you want, let me know here and i can pose my questions.

Christopher Becker

• 13.  RE: PureConnect Version Upgrade

Posted 10-06-2020 17:33
    Ok, probably a silly question here, but do i need to request and obtain a new license during the process or since my hardware is not changing, am i covered?

Christopher Becker

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources