PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-12-2019 16:09
    Hi - I'm looking for feedback from those that have participated in handler training and if you did so online, do you feel that it was worthwhile, compared to in-classroom training?

I'm considering signing up for one of the two scheduled classes (January or March 2020).  Both are online.  I tend to refrain from online courses, as I don't tend to learn as well as I do in a classroom environment.  While I understand YMMV (your mileage may vary), any feedback that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    #Handlers
    #PlatformAdministration
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Barry Farrington
    PureConnect Administrator
    Long Term Care Partners, LLC

• 2.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-12-2019 16:47
    Both are the same , No need to be in-house , you can have it online.
    Same material and same labs.

Thanks,
    Aly Nofal

Aly Nofal
    System Engineer
    IST Integration Services And Technologies Co.

• 3.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-12-2019 16:56
    I attended in person (a few years ago) and got a lot out of it.  Since then, I've taken two courses remotely and learned a valuable lesson during the first session:  treat it as if you are in the classroom.  Block the time in your calendar, delegate out anything you can to others and focus up.  As long as you can do this, you can get just as much out of the web training.

It also helps if you aren't afraid to speak up if you have questions in a virtual classroom.

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 4.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-16-2019 11:18
    Hi Barry!

This is a class I deliver for the North American market, so assuming you are in that region, I am likely to be your instructor in either format.

I totally understand your concern regarding online training, it is one I share, which is why I set it as one of my objectived to make the experience as close to the "real" classroom as I can. I cannot comment on how successful I am at doing this, but the course evaluations I recieve suggest that I manage to achieve it - at least in part! Many of my former students are active on this forum, so they may well be able to comment.

What I can tell you is that the class content is exaclty the same. Same books, same Lab environments etc.

I can also tell you that we almost never schedule this class "in person" as most customers prefer the online option (avoid travel expenses etc.) We can deliver it "in person", but only if there is sufficient demand.

I hope that sets your mind at rest and I look forward to (hopefully) "seeing" you in class soon!

• 5.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-16-2019 14:12
    Hi Paul - Thanks for the follow-up.  Could you tell me what the average attendance rate is for handler training?  It would help me to better understand how well attended the online training is.

Barry Farrington

• 6.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-16-2019 15:11
    Barry,

I don't have access to the overall statistics, but I usually have between 6 and 10 students. Class sizes overall are targeted to be 4-12 but my experience, for Handlers, is somewhere in the middle.

I actually happen to be teaching the class this week and there are 9 students.

I hope that helps!

• 7.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-16-2019 15:28
    Thanks, this helps me to better understand the instructor/student ratio, which I feel is as important when teaching online.

Much appreciated!

Barry Farrington

• 8.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-17-2019 09:43
    Barry,

I took the handler class years ago (I'm 2.4 handler certified) which was only an onsite class. I got a ton out of it and it set up my foundation for many years of handler development. I have a coworker who recently went to the online class and seems to get the same out of it that I did so many years ago. I've since taken on site training and remote training and they seem to be similar. As others have mentioned make sure you allocate enough time to do all of the labs, don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions, and lastly your remote location should be configured in a way to maximize training. Make sure you pick a nice quiet spot with minimal to no distractions.

If you are serious about customizing the system I HIGHLY recommend the handler class. Do understand however that just going to the class will not make you a handler expert and you will still have many months/years gaining the skills to truly understand all the intricacies of the system and what gets fired off when.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 9.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-17-2019 10:38
    I have taken both online and in classroom Genesys courses and do not see much difference; other then being able to sleep in my own bed and don't have to stress about travel.

I am actually in an online Handler Training Class right now...yes Paul i am updating this while you answer the questions. :D

Scott Williams
    Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority

• 10.  RE: Handler Training - Online vs In-House

Posted 12-17-2019 11:02
    Thanks to everyone for the constructive feedback.  Coming from the Premier platform to PureConnect, I feel like I have lost a LOT of visibility into the overall code set of our IVR.  Attendant has been fairly easy to pick up on, but with the number of handlers that were built for it, I need to be able to see how the handlers work, debug and make changes when business needs arise.  I don't plan on being an expert right out of the gate, but the additional training will assist me from both a professional growth aspect, as well as enhancing my overall skill set as a platform administrator.

Barry Farrington

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources