PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Recommended ODBC Driver version for connecting to SQL 2019 Cluster

Posted 09-24-2021 18:33
    Edited by Vincent Moore 09-27-2021 11:07
    Hi, I am currently connecting an auxiliary database to Genesys pure-connect prem, and it works fine, except for the Primary and backup IC servers lose connectivity to the cluster DNS host name with the active cluster db member, and I have to flush dns cache to get it communicating again.

I have learned that the basic SQL driver for the ODBC connection does not support multi-subnet fail-over, so I have used the SQL Server Native Client 11 driver instead and it appears to be working so far, but is this the correct driver that is to be used for connecting Pure Connect premises to SQL 2019 Cluster mode, or should it be something different?

#ArchitectureandDesign

------------------------------
    Vincent M

• 2.  RE: Recommended ODBC Driver version for connecting to SQL 2019 Cluster

GENESYS
    Posted 09-27-2021 09:30
    Vincent-

We are actually finishing up validation of SQL Server 2019 as well as SQL Server Always On / Availability Groups / Clustering. I don't have the details yet on what works and doesn't just yet. We expect to announce validation this year (but no promises). In our testing, we used ODBC driver 13.1. If I were you, I'd try with that (in a test environment).

Scott Thomas
    Director of PM
    PureConnect

• 3.  RE: Recommended ODBC Driver version for connecting to SQL 2019 Cluster

Posted 09-27-2021 11:21
    Edited by Vincent Moore 09-27-2021 11:21
    Thank you Scott, we will test out driver 13.1 in the test environment, and just curious if there is a recommendation against using the SQL 11 Native client, as that is what is being tested now.

Vincent M

• 4.  RE: Recommended ODBC Driver version for connecting to SQL 2019 Cluster

GENESYS
    Posted 09-27-2021 11:41
    I don't personally know of a reason not to use version 11, but I am not a SQL Server expert.

Scott Thomas
    Director of PM
    PureConnect

• 5.  RE: Recommended ODBC Driver version for connecting to SQL 2019 Cluster

GENESYS
    Posted 09-28-2021 01:53
    Edited by Prem M 09-28-2021 02:05
    Vincent - SQL Server Native Client 11.0 supports connections only to SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012 (11.x), SQL Server 2014 (12.x) and not later versions. Below link suggests that it doesn't really work well with SQL 2019: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/28268/sql-native-client-110-support.html

Scott is right in that you should try with ODBC drivers v13 or v17 in your lower environment. 

Sai Prem M
    Product Manager
    Genesys PureConnect

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources