PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

• 1.  Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-24-2020 10:30
    I'm looking for feedback/best practice ideas on how to better process overnight voicemail messages that come in from Attendant, where the the audio is less than 2 seconds long.  Currently, the system is generating the interaction and sending it to a queue to be worked by an agent.  However, they are unable to play the audio, for there is no actual audio attached (system is discarding the audio if less than 2 seconds long).

Preferably, if no actual audio message is left, I would prefer that the entire VM interaction be discarded. However, if that's a limitation, then is there a way for the interaction to be tagged to denote that there is no actual audio file attached, due to the minimum length?

Thanks!

#ArchitectureandDesign
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Barry Farrington
    PureConnect Administrator
    Long Term Care Partners, LLC

• 2.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-24-2020 10:35
    If you're queuing the voicemail how I'm thinking you are, it's treated as an email in queue.  You should be able to look at objects that arrive in these queues with a custom handler and use email tools to try to look at the attachment properties and then take an action based on that (possibly disconnecting if there isn't a valid voicemail).

As always test in dev, there are a lot of potential edge cases that you could encounter with this depending on how you run your queues.

AARON LAEL
    State of Utah

• 3.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-24-2020 10:40
    Thanks - I suspected that the translation from VM to email is done via a designated system handler.  The question is - can the handler be modified to allow for the required change, or would a new custom handler need to be written to handle the task?  FYI - I'm not yet currently trained in handler design, so this would need to be handled as a MAC request, should it come to that.

Barry Farrington

• 4.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-24-2020 10:59
    I wouldn't modify it at that point.  I would look at the point that the email is being offered to your workgroup queue as an available interaction and perform your logic there.

AARON LAEL
    State of Utah

• 5.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-25-2020 02:54
    From memory the email body contains text saying that the attachment has been deleted due to minimum length (or something similar).

I thing you might be picking up the voicemail email and putting it into the queue using the Workgroup setting for ACD Routing definition of the mailbox.
    Instead of doing that, I would route the email in through Email attendant and use an attendant Logical Transfer step to word spot for that phrase and disconnect the email if found, otherwise send it to the queue.

Thanks,

• 6.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-25-2020 09:39
    Hi Richard!

Yes, the message that I see in the tracker tool is: Caller message is less than 2 seconds - Message will be discarded

The goal would be to add a piece of logic that looks for this message, and if found, discard the email.  Otherwise, generate the email and send to queue.

Is anyone else using this or a similar piece of logic to disregard "short messages"?

Barry Farrington

• 7.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-25-2020 12:28
    Edited by Paul Simpson 02-25-2020 12:29
    Hey Barry,

As I see it, there are three parts to the overall process:

1. Caller leaves a voicemail (or doesn't) which causes IC to create and send an email
    2. Email system routes the email to the mailbox associated with the target user / workgroup
    3. IC is monitoring the mailbox and retrieves the email to place into the queue.

It may be easier to allow the e-mail to get created, but then not put it in the Queue.

One way would be to work at step 2 of the above sequence and use a rule on your e-mail server to delete messages from the system that have that text within them.

Alternatively, working at step 3,a custom handler could examine the email upon "arrival" and discard it if it contains that text.

HTH

Paul Simpson
    Senior Technical Instructor

• 8.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

GENESYS
    Posted 02-25-2020 14:41
    Hello Barry,

It is possible to discard the Voicemail when there is no attached audio through a fairly simple custom handler modification.  The handler is CustomVoicemailNoRecording.ihd.  There is also a Customer Care PureConnect KB article titled "How To: Stop sending voicemail notifications when there is no .wav file included" that explains the process.

Thanks,
    Todd

Todd Whetstone
    Genesys - Employees

• 9.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-25-2020 16:54
    Hi Todd - any chance you could send me the link to the document?

Thanks!

Barry Farrington

• 10.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

GENESYS
    Posted 02-26-2020 11:43
    I believe this is an appropriate link for the KB article.

https://genesyspartner.force.com/customercare/pkb_Home?id=kA00B00000056GMSAY&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Thanks,
    Todd

Todd Whetstone
    Genesys - Employees

• 11.  RE: Better Processes for Handling Voicemails w/Discarded Short Audio

Posted 02-26-2020 15:46
    Thanks, Todd.  This is extremely helpful!

Barry Farrington

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources