PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Switchover Alerts

• 1.  Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-22-2021 13:24
    Hello,

We currently have an alert set up in ICBM when a switchover has occurred but do not have a configuration for a text alert. My company uses a 3rd party monitoring system for alerts that can be texted to a distribution group which would be ideal and garner a faster response to reboot the potential backup server so we can continue to run in switchover mode immediately instead of hours later if this happens in the middle night. After that windy story, my question to the community would be to ask if anyone can tell me specifically what service or services would need to be monitored to trigger an alert?  I have read the SNMP documentation in regards to this but is pretty vague or I am thick headed and not "getting it". 
    Any advice or suggestions is sincerely appreciated!

Thanks!
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 2.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-23-2021 01:32
    Tina

There is a handler initiator 'Switchover Event' which can be used to kick off a handler and you could send an SMS from the handler, depending upon your configuration.

Tarquin Bell
    Precision Administration Services (Pty) Ltd

• 3.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-26-2021 10:12
    Hello,

We just upgraded from 2018R3 to 2020R3 and are now working on our SMS texting.  This would be ideal and I do not know if our 3rd party monitoring would be able to send out the text alert.  Right now, everything that is being monitored is coming from a specific service and generates the text message.

Thank you!
    Tina

Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 4.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-23-2021 17:30
    you can get email out - so you should be able to email (txt) out too.

Examples are 4155551234@vtext.com (for Verizon) and 3105551234@@tmomail.net (for tmobile)

I have it set under System Statistics > IC System Status > Indicates if a switchover was performed

Richard

• 5.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-26-2021 10:14
    ​Hello,
    We do not have SMS texting configured as of yet, would this still be possible?

Thank you!
    Tina

Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 6.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-24-2021 09:59
    Tina,

• ININ SNMP service can send specific traps regarding Switchover events to a monitoring platform. Knowledge of SNMP would be required to set it up but there is an ININ SNMP Tech Ref on the PConnect doc site.
    • You can use a PowerShell script with Windows Task Scheduler to monitor for specific Application Event Log messages, to send e-mails as a text message.
    • The challenge with using a handler is the handler runs will stop once the switchover occurs. They will run on the newly active server but depending on the situation, it may not fire as expected.

ININ SNMP is the most reliable method but option 2 also works quite well.

Hope that helps.

Chris Mayo
    Manager, Technical Services
    ConvergeOne

• 7.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-25-2021 09:54
    I agree with Chris regarding his option 2. We currently use it for switchover alerting and it has been both reliable and fast.

Corey Blosser
    Wolters Kluwer United States Inc., on behalf of its affiliate, CCH Incorporated

• 8.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-25-2021 16:49
    Which Application Event log messages do you monitor?

Tarquin Bell
    Precision Administration Services (Pty) Ltd

• 9.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-25-2021 17:26

We use:

Log: Application Log
    Source:  Interaction Center
    Event ID: 11515

In conjunction with a powershell script to relay alerts (since the email from task scheduler has been deprecated.

AARON LAEL
    State of Utah

• 10.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-25-2021 19:32
    Thanks

Tarquin Bell

• 11.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-25-2021 20:29
    For anyone who may need additional details, if you perform a search online for an article titled "STEP-BY-STEP: HOW TO TRIGGER AN EMAIL ALERT FROM A WINDOWS EVENT THAT INCLUDES THE EVENT DETAILS USING WINDOWS SERVER 2016", it's a pretty good tutorial.

Corey Blosser
    Wolters Kluwer United States Inc. on behalf of its affiliate CCH Incorporated

• 12.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-26-2021 07:46
    Years ago, I used handlers to perform a lot of tasks after switchover.
    I had them email the CIC Support staff that the switchover had occurred.
    I "reached" across the network and changed various config files for services that would not restart after a switchover.
    I used Windows Script Host to stop and start the services whose configs I just modified.
    I changed the desktop wallpaper used by Systnternal's BGInfo program to show the new primary server, and changed the background on the previous primary to show a switch had occurred and the server needed rebooting. Additionally, on CIC startup, I had an initialization handler. One of its tasks was to set the wallpaper to the correct primary or backup server state.

Wayne Rhodeback
    Astute, Inc.

• 13.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-26-2021 10:10
    Thank you!​

Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 14.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-26-2021 10:17
    ​Hello,
    I do have an email alert set up.  I believe I need to go back to our team that does the configuration for the monitoring alerts. They are able to send out text messages whereas I am only able to configure email. 

Thank you!
    Tina

Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 15.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-26-2021 12:12
    Edited by Richard Chia 02-26-2021 12:13
      |   view attached
    Ok if you can email out then if you have outlook web version or 0365 then you can email the alert to yourself or whomever, then have it texted out automatically from there

that's what we do - see attached how to text out

Richard

Attachment(s)

• 16.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 02-26-2021 10:15
    Hello,
    When I reached out to support they also suggested the SNMP for the alerts.  I have very little knowledge of SNMP and it sounds like I would need to engage others to make this work.  I appreciate your response!

Thank you,
    Tina​

Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 17.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 03-07-2021 14:04
    Tina,

I am not sure if I follow what your need is, but if it is a SMS alert when switchover occurs,  as long as your CIC servers have access to SMTP, then your alert in ICBM  can do what is known as Email-to-SMS, sending an email can also send SMS, (SMS only, NOT MMS)  as Richard Chia mentioned above.   NO SMS services needed, just SMTP

I do it frequently for many ICBM alerts, the key is having the correct email address for the Email to SMS function for each provider.
    This link is the most comprehensive that I have found to date:
    https://avtech.com/articles/138/list-of-email-to-sms-addresses/

Hope this helps

Pete Schroeder
    American Customer Care, Inc
    pschroeder@accare.com

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources