PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Writing to IP Tables

• 1.  Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-15-2020 13:05
    I'm wanting to write data *to* an IP Table from a handler in order to replicate data across server instances.  I know there is a tool for fetching data but I don't see one for writes.  I'm assuming that if that's the case, then one would instead write to the registry instead to manipulate those values.  Is that the case, and if so does anyone have any pointers on that?
    #Handlers

------------------------------
    Tyler Style
    Interactive Intelligence Engineer, WellCare Health Plans

• 2.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-15-2020 13:10
    Pointers to IP tables are are stored in directory services, but they tables themselves are files in the server directory "I3Tables" on your IC server.

I would not recommend attempting to write to IP tables, as it could be fairly simple to corrupt them.

You are likely much better off just creating a new table in your database instance that corresponds with whatever you are doing and read and write from their, or if it is a simple enough data structure, use a structured parameter, which is intended to be read from and written to.

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 3.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-15-2020 13:24
    Thanks @Aaron Lael, that's helpful.  

Unfortunately IP tables are what I have to work with, so DB options are not on the table.​

Tyler Style

• 4.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-15-2020 14:32
    Tyler,

IPTables are intended to be small, lean "lookup" style tables and so are, by design, Read Only (from Handlers).

How often does the data change? It may well be easier to add to your process for changing them, steps to manually export from the "Master" copy and then re-import on all the other servers.

I understand that a DB is out of the question, but how about @Aaron Lael's other suggestion of using Structured Parameters?

Another approach MIGHT be to use ICELib or ICWS to write an application to update the tables. I'm not sure if the tables are exposed via either of those APIs, but if they are....

I am fairly certain that any method you come up with to directly modify the files would result in your system not being supportable (by Genesys) if you have issues with the system later on.

• 5.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-15-2020 14:44
    Thanks for the info @Paul Simpson.  It's not so much the import/export process that's problematic but the actual updates to the tables before hand, due to the unwieldiness of the interface, the heftiness of the data volume and the persnicketiness of the data formats.

Unfortunately we're over-leveraging IP Table with our current set up and while we are looking to move away from that it's an enormous admin overhead at this time with 12 servers needing to be kept in sync.​  Regardless of what we move to in the future, it'd be a big project and we could really use something in the mean time as a shim to free up resources from what is basically specialized data entry.

AFAIK both ICElib and ICWS only offer read functionality for IP tables, unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up on the potential support issue, I'll be sure to bring that up if we do look at a possible solution.

Tyler Style

• 6.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-15-2020 15:22
    Ahh, I see.

I mis-understood your original requirement, I thought you only needed to be able to Sync changes that were made using the "official" channel ;-)

Sorry I can't be of more help!

• 7.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-15-2020 16:15
    No worries @Paul Simpson, thanks anyway!​​

Tyler Style

• 8.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-15-2020 17:02
    I would consider using powershell scripts to export/import via Migrator.  If you are just exporting/importing some IP tables the server should not be taxed any more than doing it with a handler that does the same thing.

Tim Cannon

• 9.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-16-2020 09:26
    Thanks for the suggestion Tim!  Unfortunately we're on CaaS, so we can't easily do anything outside of handlers.

Tyler Style

• 10.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-16-2020 10:06
    Tyler,

At my old job we had a bank of many IVR servers which were controlled by IA tables. We stared to go down a path with Genesys on a product from Microsoft we could leverage to keep the servers in sync but then after a while they reversed course and said it would not work. Unfortunately as you have learned Genesys made the design decision from the beginning that you can't update IA tables from anywhere other than Interaction Administrator. To the best of my knowledge there is no automated way to update IA tables, you are going to have to export and import manually through IA.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 11.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-18-2020 02:50
    This does sound like an API case, and I'm just catching up here. IceLib or ICWS is not going to give it but a custom solution will do.

Ivan Sazonov
    UMA Education, Inc.

• 12.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-21-2020 10:32
    Ivan,

I'm not sure what you are saying here. ICELib and ICWS are the API solutions for PureConnect and, together with Handlers, provide more or less all of the methods to build custom solutions.

In this case, as has been noted, none of these three approaches will allow for writing to the IP Tables, which is the main requirement. Any other approach (directly modifying the registry and / or files) will probably not be supported by Genesys and, given that this is a PureConnect Cloud (CaaS) situation, may not even be possible.

• 13.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-16-2020 10:23
    If you are replicating your IP tables across multiple environments, I would say it is time for you to build a webservice with a back end database to store this data in, then build a handler in each of your environments to query that webservice instead.  As you have stated that you are CaaS, you will have no access to the handler tools that let you run executable files on the host to directly modify the source files for the tables (which again, I advise against trying).

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 14.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-16-2020 10:36
    Thanks @Aaron Lael.  While I'd agree a webservice would be better and there are plans to migrate eventually we need an interim solution until then.  We may have to settle on manual process, unfortunately.

Tyler Style

• 15.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-16-2020 16:51
    So upon digging a little deeper it looks to me as if that one indeed can't/shouldn't write to IP tables from handlers (they're in some goofy binary format that's basically just hexcode which isn't manipulable by handlers as far as I can tell). 

However just mirroring ip tables from one server to another looks possible.  Unless there's a way to run import/export from IAdmin on the command line, the only way to I can see to copy IP tables from one server to another would be to first mirror the registry entries for that table, then copy over the table file itself.  Or am I off the mark?

Tyler Style

• 16.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-16-2020 17:42
    I did try running migrator using the command line tool from a handler, but either I'm using it incorrectly or it's not executable on CaaS

Tyler Style

• 17.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-17-2020 08:37
    It is not installed by Default on most CaaS.

ryan hedlund
    Stericycle

• 18.  RE: Writing to IP Tables

Posted 01-17-2020 09:34
    Thanks for the feedback, @ryan hedlund!

#migrator is installed on our instance, I just checked - it was added when we spun up more servers to help load balance.

I did try to run it from the handler, but it doesn't look like it output anything... any number of possible reasons for that.  Plus I don't know what node option would export just IP tables, either.  Here's the command I sent, if anyone can spot a problem with it:  

Directory Path 
    "D:\\I3\\IC\\Migrator"

File Name 
    "ININ.Migrator.Console.exe"

Command line Params 
    " -noprompt -export -exportNodes=\"users\" -exportfolder=\"D:\\I3\\IC\\Resources\\InteractionAttendantWaves\"" ​​​

Tyler Style

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources