PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

System Upgrade and handlers

• 1.  System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 10:54
    Hello Genesys engineers 

I am going to upgrade our customer pureconnect environment from 2018 R5 to 2019 R3 patch 2 but i have a query and need your assistance:

I have some customized handler in the system and I need to make sure that this handler will not be impacted by the upgrade, how can I make sure from that and if not how can i handle this 

Thanks  

#ArchitectureandDesign
    #Handlers
    #Implementation

------------------------------
    Mahmoud Kamal
    IST Integration Services And Technologies Co.

• 2.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 11:19

Did you use a customization point to initiate your custom handler?  Those shouldn't be over written.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Wooster
    Genesco Inc.

• 3.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 11:23
    Hello Andrew,

More clarification, please 

Thanks

Mahmoud Kamal

• 4.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 11:29
    Is your custom handler used as a subroutine in a system handler?  Within system handlers, their are subroutines called customization points, these are put in place so that when upgrades are performed, whatever is inside the customization point will not be overwritten.  This is the only place to extend functionality  of a system handler that is supported.

Andrew Wooster
    Genesco Inc.

• 5.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 11:35
    1- not subroutines as it is a handler that changes some system behaviours so what will happen in this case? 
    2- in case of subroutine, how can i republish it 

Thanks

Mahmoud Kamal

• 6.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 11:39

Can you elaborate on what and how your custom handler is doing, this would help to know if it will be overwritten or not.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Wooster
    Genesco Inc.

• 7.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 12:09
    this is a Chat project and our customized handler is changes in the chat welcome responses and phrases also there is one that removes the workgroup name from a welcome message and changes some messages in chat widgets 

Waiting for your feed back 
    Thanks 

Mahmoud Kamal

• 8.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 13:25
    I would defer to @Paul Simpson​ as he would know best.  But as a precautionary step, I would make sure to have these handlers backed up somewhere other than you PureConnect servers and also document how to re-implement them in case they are overwritten.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Andrew Wooster
    Genesco Inc.

• 9.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 13:49
    Thanks for the shout-out @Andrew Wooster!

Mahmoud,

To clarify Andrew's responses. When you wrote your customization, did you edit a handler that was already on the system, or simply create a new one?
    If Modify, which one? (If the name begins with anything other than "Custom" then you have probably made an unsuppoerted change and all bets are off!)
    If New, which Initiator did you use?

Based on your answers, we may be able to figure it out, but I wholeheartedly agree with Andrew in regard to backups and documentation....

I would also highly recommend that anyone who wants to play around with Handlers takes the Handler Developer training. In that class, we cover (among other things) how to customize in a way that mitigates these situations.

• 10.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 16:18
    Hello Paul,

You mean now that if I edited in an existing handler in the system then i need to backup it before the update and republish it after update 
    Please confirm!

Thanks

Mahmoud Kamal

• 11.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 16:25
    No, that is not what I mean at all!

It is entirely possible that any Handler you have modified has also been updated by us, which means you run the risk of breaking something if you do as you suggest.

Please advise as to the name(s) of any existing Handler(s) you have modified and the Initiators you have used for any new Handlers.With this information, we can figure out any likely impact and advise further.

• 12.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 16:39
    I updated in the following 

1- CustomACDPostAlertInteraction.ihd
    2- Strings_Web_ar.ihd
    3- Strings_Web.ihd
    4- System_IncomingInteraction.ihd ( just removed the work group name from the welcome message in chat interaction )

Thanks

Mahmoud Kamal

• 13.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 17:26
    @Mahmoud Kamal​ for the chat welcome messages and phrases, those can be adjusted in Interaction Administrator, I believe you would need to follow these directions: Web Service Parameters  Do this on a test box first, lots of different options to look at.  Maybe someone from Genesys can provide a TR for this, I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Andrew Wooster
    Genesco Inc.

• 14.  RE: System Upgrade and handlers

Posted 09-10-2019 17:46
    Ok,

For #1, you shoud be fine.

I have no experience with #2 or #3 but have no reason to believe that @Andrew Wooster's suggetions and links won't resolve these for you.

#4 is an upsupported change, but it sounds like you could simply replicate that in the new version of the handler if it gets overwritten.

As always, test all this on a test server before using in production!
    ​​​​

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources