PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Best way to configure F5 Loadbalancer to support Switchover

Posted 02-26-2021 05:26
    Hey guys,

Does anyone here have experience in setting up Load balancing in F5 with a Switchover system, so that it will correctly and quickly identify which server is the Current Primary?

The solution I came up with is using the WebHTMLService and a Handler to return the proper info when called. I think it is a good idea, but I worry about the impact the constant calling to the webservice might have on the overall server performance.  And I wondering if there maybe is an easier/better way to do this?
    #Implementation
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Egill Palsson
    Advania Sverige AB

• 2.  RE: Best way to configure F5 Loadbalancer to support Switchover

Posted 02-26-2021 13:36
    The only experience I have is with Gateways, but the same approach should work with an SBC or other edge device.

Basically, you sent it up with two proxies (the two IC Servers) and then use the option to "Park" (as opposed to "Home") What should happen is, following a switchover. the next call will be sent to the old Primary and will obviously not get through, so the device will move to the new Primary. "Parking" means "use the last one that worked" so all subsequent calls will get sent to the new Primary until such time as there is another switchover and...

For the sake of completeness, "Homing" means "always try the first proxy first then work your way down the list", which you would use in a remote office with a SIP Proxy configured for survivability.

Some edge devices also allow for actively monitoring their proxies with SIP OPTIONS messages, which can help detect the failure without a call.

HTH

• 3.  RE: Best way to configure F5 Loadbalancer to support Switchover

Posted 03-01-2021 05:53
    Thanks a lot Paul,

I should have also included that I am looking at this for properly sending Webchats to the correct server, not calls.  But maybe this is the same thing?

But your message gave me an idea also, but that is to test for open ports.  So when ever a switch happens the only ports that close on the Primary server are the SIP and registration ports (5060,8060).  So if I have a check in place for those ports it will accurately tell me which one is the Active server.  But I think generally, something like your "Park" suggestion would be the way to go.  But my loadbalancer guys have not suggested this as an option, so I will ask them about it.

Thanks again :)

Egill Palsson
    Advania Sverige AB

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources