PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Licensing - Clear as Mud!

Posted 11-06-2020 13:51
    Hello,

We recently ran into an issue where we reached capacity on our ports and agents were not able to make outbound calls.  Previous to this incident, we had discussed allocating inbound and outbound call limits on our lines which we did not define when we ran into the port issue.  Every time I reach out Genesys it seems to create more confusion on how the licenses are used. For instance, a callback sitting in queue (in my mind and was confirmed and then not)should not use any ports until it is initiated.  I was recently told that it uses 1 port and then a second when the outbound call is made. The numbers for our licenses don't jive with that and I would really like some clarity on the situation.  
    *Please keep in mind I am fairly new to Genesys and every day is a new experience and learning opportunity.

I hoping some of our well versed community members can help clear this up.

We have 300 Basic Sessions, 225 Advance Sessions and 370 Media Sessions.

Here are the questions I would like to understand:
    • How are callbacks working / consuming licenses,
    • Are we running out of license capacity/or specifically outbound capacity if outbound is not defined or set to unlimited?
    • Can we put together a breakdown of our licenses and how they are consumed
    • Are we occupying 2 licenses for one call because or agents are working remote with their cellphones?
    • How did we (have we) gotten 700+ calls queued up if there aren't that many licenses
    • How does all this impact our stats?
    I really appreciate any input.  At some point I know we will need to purchase more Basic Sessions and create an alert when these reach a certain threshold.  With our response to COVID, we will not be working in the contact center any time some and really need to be better prepared.

thank you!
    #Outbound
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 2.  RE: Licensing - Clear as Mud!

Posted 11-10-2020 09:26
    hope this helps
    https://help.genesys.com/pureconnect/mergedprojects/wh_tr/desktop/pdfs/licensing_tr.pdf

Joseph Jacobowitz
    B&H Foto & Electronics Corp.

• 3.  RE: Licensing - Clear as Mud!

Posted 11-10-2020 15:54
    Hi,

I actually looked through that but found the information was a little fuzzy :)

Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 4.  RE: Licensing - Clear as Mud!

Posted 11-10-2020 09:27
    what i was just told was that any active inbound or outbound call will use a basic port license, and a recorded line etc. will use in addition to that  an advanced license.

Joseph Jacobowitz
    B&H Foto & Electronics Corp.

• 5.  RE: Licensing - Clear as Mud!

Posted 11-10-2020 14:05

I don't have the answers to everything but could clear up a few of your questions.

I think the main problem is that your agents are using their cell phones.  This will cause 2 external call port licenses to be used for each call.  This makes sense, you are getting a call into the system, and then you have to make another call from the system to the cell phone. 

We tested this with the persistent connection option when you log in at the start of our COVID response.  If you choose persistent connection, once the system establishes a call to the cell phone, it keeps the system end of the call up, and that license in use. Another test is to login to interaction desktop and select your remote number, then place an outbound call and watch ICBM.  Though interaction desktop only shows one call, the system places 2 external calls to complete it.  You can also see the licenses in use by opening IA, clicking on licenses at the top and scrolling down to IC_LICENSE_EXTERNAL_CALL_PORTS.  I'll attach a screenshot of what my test system looked like when I made one call with my cell phone, you'll see 2 licenses in use.

Basic station should be completely fine, your agents are still using just one station.  Media as well, it still counts as just one interaction.  You may be able to request a temporary increase in External call port licenses due to COVID from Genesys, but long term fix if you don't want to pay for those extra call ports is to get agents on a hard or soft phone from home.

• How are callbacks working / consuming licenses -- Should be just like any other call.  license to get to the customer, and license to get to a cell phone if you aren't using the softphone.
    • Are we running out of license capacity/or specifically outbound capacity if outbound is not defined or set to unlimited? -- Yes, we usually run into this problem with Dialer campaigns, so we set a limit on the Dialer settings.  We usually know how many inbound calls are coming in so we give the dialer a limit that allows some overhead.  Then we have alerting around call ports, at intervals that give us time to check if we need to turn down the dialer or make other changes. You can set those limits on each line, but bottom line is that you have no way right now to have all of your agents on the phone at a time with cell phones, at your current call port limits.
    • Can we put together a breakdown of our licenses and how they are consumed -- Simple way is to open Interaction Administrator and click on the license button at the top.  you can see amount of licenses and how many consumed.
    • Are we occupying 2 licenses for one call because or agents are working remote with their cellphones?  -- Kind of. It is 2 licenses and 2 calls though, not 1 call, don't forget the call to the agent. It is just one license for the agent as it counts as one interaction in that way when you are looking at like the media 1 license.  You don't need more ACD licenses, or station licenses, just external call ports.
    • How did we (have we) gotten 700+ calls queued up if there aren't that many licenses -- don't know the exact details on this but the system will allow the calls without dropping to a point, but it will do other things like encumber recordings so that you don't get all the benefits of the system without the license.
    • How does all this impact our stats? --stats not so much, recordings will be encumbered, but stats still show it as 1 call even though you are using 2 separate legs to complete each call.
    Shows call ports in use when I place one call while using my cell phone as a station.

Brad Burton
    Prog Leasing, LLC

• 6.  RE: Licensing - Clear as Mud!

Posted 11-10-2020 14:17
    Once you figure out your licensing with Genesys, you also want to make sure that it matches the number of concurrent call paths with your phone carrier.  Otherwise it could be a limit reached with the carrier that you are hitting.

Andrew Wooster
    Genesco Inc.

• 7.  RE: Licensing - Clear as Mud!

Posted 11-10-2020 15:53
    Hi!

Thanks so much for all of the good information!  I had completely spaced out the license management and probably would have fumbled around for days had you not pointed it out.
    When I look at our current calls I can see the external ports in use which makes total sense but I don't see anything sessions in use for Media or Advanced.  Any thoughts on what condition uses those particular licenses?

Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 8.  RE: Licensing - Clear as Mud!

Posted 11-10-2020 16:41
    Check the other columns.  External call ports is a concurrent license type, other licenses can be assignable or concurrent.  If you look at my screenshot above you can see that basic station I have 26 assigned with 30 allowed, though a 0 in the concurrent column.  Those licenses are assigned to the agent themselves and are "in use" regardless if the agent is online or not

Brad Burton
    Prog Leasing, LLC

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources