PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Vulnerability: Insecure Windows Service Permissions Authenticated Users

Posted 12-07-2021 12:35
    All,

Thought I'd bring this question/issue to our resident experts. We're standing up a new Greenfield environment and the Nessus scan is flagging our Media and IC servers with the High Vulnerability documented below.

Have any of you ran into this and were you able to mitigate?

SEVERITY: High
    RISK FACTOR: High
    PLUGIN ID: 65057
    PLUGIN NAME: Insecure Windows Service Permissions

PLUGIN TEXT:
    <plugin_output>
    Path : d:\i3\ic\inin snmp\i3agentregistryservice-w64r-20-2.exe
    Used by services : ININ SNMP Service
    File write allowed for groups : Authenticated Users

Path : d:\i3\ic\inin trace initialization\i3trace_initializer-w32r-20-2.exe
    Used by services : ININ Tracing 20-2

Path : d:\i3\ic\mediaserver\ininmediaserveru-w64.exe
    Used by services : ININMediaServer

Bad Shares : 
    </plugin_output>

SYNOPSIS:
    At least one improperly configured Windows service may have a privilege escalation vulnerability.

DESCRIPTION:
    At least one Windows service executable with insecure permissions was detected on the remote host. Services configured to use an executable with weak permissions are vulnerable to privilege escalation attacks.
    An unprivileged user could modify or overwrite the executable with arbitrary code, which would be executed the next time the service is started. Depending on the user that the service runs as, this could result in privilege escalation.

This plugin checks if any of the following groups have permissions to modify executable files that are started by Windows services :

- Everyone
        - Users
        - Domain Users
        - Authenticated Users

SOLUTION:
    Ensure the groups listed above do not have permissions to modify or write service executables. Additionally, ensure these groups do not have Full Control permission to any directories that contain service executables.

See Also:
    http://www.nessus.org/u?e4e766b2

#PlatformAdministration
    #Security

------------------------------
    Thank you,
    Shane

• 2.  RE: Vulnerability: Insecure Windows Service Permissions Authenticated Users

Posted 12-08-2021 05:51
    The CIC SNMP is ignoring the settings in the Windows SNMP Service if they are set via windows group policy. Please see SCR IONCORE-2292 for more information.

Andreas Tikart
    Fiebig GmbH

• 3.  RE: Vulnerability: Insecure Windows Service Permissions Authenticated Users

GENESYS
    Posted 12-09-2021 15:55
    Shane-

"Authenticated Users" doesn't need write access to these files. This can be changed to the relevant service account.

Scott Thomas
    Director of PM
    PureConnect

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources