PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  DTMF not passed unless logged into Media Server

Posted 09-25-2019 12:30
    I have a customer with a strange issue...

They have to refer many, many calls a day to an external service and have to enter a PIN (DTMF) passcode before the call is accepted. They have a line set up for these transfers using RFC 2833 (with payload 101), per the 3rd party service recommendation. Customer reported that 80% of the time DTMF fails (invalid pin). We logged in to the media server to grab a packet capture but DTMF seemed to work each time we were logged in with the service account. So, we decided to stay logged in to see if this was correcting the issue. After 2 weeks, no issues with DTMF...Strange! When we logged back out, the issue started again. Now, logged back in for a week with no issues.

Has anyone heard of this happening?
    #SIP/VolP

------------------------------
    Thomas Moore
    Avtex Solutions, LLC

• 2.  RE: DTMF not passed unless logged into Media Server

Posted 09-26-2019 10:10
    Thomas,

This is a new one to me, I have not seen this before. Out of curiosity what version of CIC is your customer running? Have you turned up logging on the media server and reviewed the logs from failed attempts vs successful attempts? Also you could always mirror the Ethernet port on the local switch to get the packet capture to see what is happening.

I once a long time ago had a strange issue with Polycom IP 560s where they would not produce DTMF when dialing specific numbers, I never got to the bottom of it but one way we got around the issue was dialing with the dial plan in the client instead of on the phone. Have you tried dialing the DTMF digits different ways to see if dialing different ways produce different results?

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk. If my comment helped you or solved your problem please consider marking my comment as best answer.

• 3.  RE: DTMF not passed unless logged into Media Server

Posted 09-26-2019 11:34
    Thomas,

This is an odd one. I guess there are still some questions in my mind that might help fill in the gaps.

• Is there only one Media Server in the PureConnect installation? If not, does logging into any MS have the same impact on the DTMF issue?
    • Does logging into the MS  as a different user have the same impact, or is it only the service account?
    As @Mark Tatera mentioned, Media Server trace log and a packet cap from the switch side should also add additional data to the mix.​

It almost sounds like a race condition somewhere but more data is needed to narrow it down.

Chris Mayo
    Director, Technical Services
    Altivon

• 4.  RE: DTMF not passed unless logged into Media Server

Posted 10-01-2019 17:43
    Interesting...

I haven't seen this specific issue, but in the past I have found that DTMF dialled from the SoftPhone and / or the Dialpad in Desktop sometimes isn't recognised. I put it down to quirky configuration / sunspots since it only ever happened in a Lab environment and wasn't easily reproducible. Now you have me wondering if I could try your trick if it happens again!

Sounds like something Support should be brought in on to investigate.

• 5.  RE: DTMF not passed unless logged into Media Server

Posted 10-01-2019 19:08
    Great questions guys! Unfortunately the customer said to just leave it for now and close the case. So, he doesn't want to look at this any further. 

Just to add, the customer logged into both Media Servers to resolve the issue but I onl saw these attempts going thru one of the media servers....

Thomas Moore
    Avtex Solutions, LLC

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources